Air Cooler for Threadripper 3970X

Hello everywhere. I am looking to buy a Threadripper 3970X. I was on AMD site and I read that they recommend water cooling. I was wondering if there's any air cooler out that works fine with the TDP of the CPU, or do I have to go the water cooling route? Thanks

Well... to be honest the tdp isnt any different than 2nd gen and 2nd gen worked with air cooling. Id say get this cooler...

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-u9...m-cpu-cooler-for-amd-tr4-sp3/p/13C-0005-00142
you honestly think a 92mm hsf is enough for a 3970x?
"Keeps a TR2950X at a constant 70C at idle and under 100C at heavy load. "

Hello everywhere. I am looking to buy a Threadripper 3970X. I was on AMD site and I read that they recommend water cooling. I was wondering if there's any air cooler out that works fine with the TDP of the CPU, or do I have to go the water cooling route? Thanks

they run best on water which is why amd recommends that but if you cant get the biggest hsf you can like a noctua D15

you honestly think a 92mm hsf is enough for a 3970x?
"Keeps a TR2950X at a constant 70C at idle and under 100C at heavy load. "

they run best on water which is why amd recommends that but if you cant get the biggest hsf you can like a noctua D15

Calm down. I copy and pasted the wrong browser tab ffs i hadlike 7 tabs open researching ops question.

lol calm down? what about my post wasnt calm? look in the mirror...

Well you asked in a normal way what I thought then you pasted the first negative review you seen on NewEgg or whatever. I took it as highly passive aggressive. All good.

Though honestly if you read more reviews that coolet is actually quite good.

It also doesnt matter if he has 24 or 32 cores. The tdp is the same. Overclocking outside of auto well thats on the OP and higher end cooling solutions.

Im not going to recommend a $700custom loop when the OP asked about air so lets answer his question about air. Thats my angle.

However OP a high end AIO will be about the same as the best air you can find plus a little extra capacity to keep large heating spikes down where air is slower to react to those spikes. So dont rule out a good 3x120 aio.

If your contemplating custom loop I urge you to reconsider unless you have experience with it. Every last custom looper has at one point or will destroy a thousand or more in equipment. Happened to me 2x. Not because of my ineptitude but due to a failing fitting or a pump that leaked or something and there is no warranty i.e. corsair to pay for your blown shit due to malfunction.

Last edited:
that because its actually a -D15, NH-D15 TR4-SP3

Not true. There isnt an NH-D15 out right now that is meant for Threadripper. The IHS area isnt covered by the base. That is why they released a lineup specifically meant for the larger CPU, and it is specifically meant for Threadripper and cannot be used for other CPUs.

They have previewed D style Threadripper air coolers at trade shows, but it looks like the NHU-14S TR4-SP3 is one of the few TR air coolers noctua makes.

Not true. There isnt an NH-D15 out right now that is meant for Threadripper. The IHS area isnt covered by the base. That is why they released a lineup specifically meant for the larger CPU, and it is specifically meant for Threadripper and cannot be used for other CPUs.

They have previewed D style Threadripper air coolers at trade shows, but it looks like the NHU-14S TR4-SP3 is one of the few TR air coolers noctua makes.
yeah you might be right, google-fu fail.

I think the NH U14S would do the job fine as long as you are not overclocking that TR. I have that cooler on my 1950x and its a beast. also 70 to under 100 is like every zen 2 chip so i wouldn't worry too much about that range. Probably want to splurge for the second fan for the cooler because why not.

In fact that is what its compatibility page says. Compatible with no overclocking headroom. Run it under volted or with negative offset and you will have reasonable temps easily.

Currently using the NH-U14S TR4 with an extra fan (comes with one). When I was running SETI generally had temps around 66 - 68, of course this nominal speed/voltage on the 3970x. Using the Turbo boost would boost those to way above 80 - generally shut it off before it really ran for more than even a minute. Right now switched over to Milkyway@Home and it fell around the same temps (66c). Note that I am using the turbo boost on and it is generally about 83c now. I know that I'll have to turn the boost off once higher ambient temps arrive (read summer), right now I'm depending on the chip to save itself if it runs too hot for itself which it may already be doing as the peak speed is about 4000 mhz. Pure idle before boost seemed to be about 45c, with the turbo boost I see idle temp around 55. Hope this observation helps.

Back