Air cooler for C2D?

ex0du5

Gawd
Just some info on my rig:

Asus P5B-E motherboard
Antec Sonata II case (450W PSU)
Intel E6600
XFX 7950GT (with the zalman made fatality vga cooler)

Well I'm looking to get a better air cooler for my C2D, because I think I have a defective Zalman7700 (or defective bracket)....so anyways I'm getting something completely new.

I wanted to get a Thermalright Ultra-120, but apparently I can't since it won't fit in my Sonata II case.

I have looked at the Zalman 9700, Scythe Infinity, and the Scythe Ninja a little bit so far.

I'm kind of afraid of the Infinity, because I heard the retention system isn't so great, and there's a risk of shearing off the motherboard....so I might steer cleer of that.

So, what I'm asking here, what's the best air cooler I can get for my E6600, that will safely fit in my Sonata II case?

if you want something cheap, the artic freezer 7 is great.

a cool mod would be to cut out a blowhole so that the case would fit the ultra, and you'd get better cooling too.

Unfortunately cutting a hole in the case would not do the trick....the case is wide enough, it's just that the mobo sits too close to the PSU, and so the PSU would be in the way of the fan.

Also, cost is not an issue, as I'm willing to spend as much as the 9700 or Ultra-120 cost....I just want the best air cooling.

I'm hoping to run a C2D at 3.6GHz at 60C or under, at load....is this feasible?

the idea of "is that feasible" is completely dependent on your ram and chip. if you have 667 ram it doesnt matter made if your cpu is at absolute zero, its not gonna hit 3.6. but if you have the capability to hit absolute zero you should sell that machine and buy 1066 ram

I'm getting PC-6400 (800MHz) ram....which should let me OC it to 3.6, without touching the ram...correct?

2.4GHz @ 266fsb -----> 3.6GHz @ 400fsb

Back