Air cooled 7970 @1.26Ghz

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-hd-7970-voltage-mod--1.26ghz-flying-on-air/14398.html

VR-Zone got their 7970 to 1.267Ghz. No soldering required, just some simple software to change the voltage and remove the artificial CCC overclock limit. They had the fan at 100% though which must've been pretty loud but temps were at a comfortable 66C. Now all we need are updated tools like afterburner to setup fan profiles to keep the noise down.

gpuzjpg.jpg

3dm11pjpg.jpg

uniginejpg.jpg

100% fan 66C 1.26Ghz, i'm pretty sure you could easily keep the fan at 70% or lower if all they hit was 66C.

that's crazy!!! too bad i won't own one :( At my resolution, kinda pointless upgrading lol.

This is looking pretty good to me. I got used to my fan roar from my dual 4890's so I'd have no problem running them at 100% for the fan, but yea you could probably drop the fan speed down to 80% and still get reasonable temps. For a GPU that is.

3dmark at 1.70 GHz Core and 8.00 GHz Memory :eek:

So you thought the 1.26 GHz core - 6.30 GHz memory feat was quite something, considering that Sapphire already has a card in the works that does 1.33 GHz core 5.73 GHz memory out of the box? Wait till you see the numbers an overclocker for the MyDrivers community achieved. With the right voltage assistance, coupled with the right kind of cooling (liquid nitrogen), the overclocker achieved a Radeon HD 7970 overclocked speed as high as 1700 MHz core, and 2000 MHz (actual) or 8.00 GHz effective GDDR5 memory speed, churning out memory bandwidth of exactly 384 GB/s. The best part is that this wasn't a hit-and-run feat, the setup was able to run 3DMark 11 and 3DMark Vantage. The scores are pictured below. Details of the volt-mod can be found at the source.

http://www.techpowerup.com/157874/A....70-GHz-Core-8.00-GHz-Memory-Benchmarked.html

3dmark at 1.70 GHz Core and 8.00 GHz Memory :eek:

So you thought the 1.26 GHz core - 6.30 GHz memory feat was quite something, considering that Sapphire already has a card in the works that does 1.33 GHz core 5.73 GHz memory out of the box? Wait till you see the numbers an overclocker for the MyDrivers community achieved. With the right voltage assistance, coupled with the right kind of cooling (liquid nitrogen), the overclocker achieved a Radeon HD 7970 overclocked speed as high as 1700 MHz core, and 2000 MHz (actual) or 8.00 GHz effective GDDR5 memory speed, churning out memory bandwidth of exactly 384 GB/s. The best part is that this wasn't a hit-and-run feat, the setup was able to run 3DMark 11 and 3DMark Vantage. The scores are pictured below. Details of the volt-mod can be found at the source.

http://www.techpowerup.com/157874/A....70-GHz-Core-8.00-GHz-Memory-Benchmarked.html

I think a fairly good WC setup could push a 7970 to maybe 1.4/1.5GHz I would love to have two or three cards at 2000/8000... Metro 2033 will finally be playable at 2560x1600 with all features enabled!

I want this. The only thing that has me hung up is how fast the OC'ed versions with better cooling/heatsinks will be in 3 months from now. If MSI has a Twin Lightning version of this badboy you know it's going to be fast as hell, and have even more vRAM. If I wanted to run a sick Eyefinity set up at some point, it's hard to make a decision on getting the reference model now, or wait it out for the factory OC'ed batches.

So, an 80% overclock with the help of a little LN2. And the yields aren't even up to snuff yet on the spiffy new 28nm process.

Me gusta.

AMD must be trolling the world, waiting til nvidia releases the 680 before they release the real 7900 beast. (7980? 7990? 7999.9995?)

It feels good to have some competition. Now, if only they'd get up off their ass and do something like that to Intel.

once a 7970 from MSI lands with their enthusiast-level cooling and power tweaks i don't think i'll be able to resist building a new rig - but i want so badly to wait to see what kepler is like!

once a 7970 from MSI lands with their enthusiast-level cooling and power tweaks i don't think i'll be able to resist building a new rig - but i want so badly to wait to see what kepler is like!

i have MSI GTX460 Hawk's with the TFII cooler and they're great, but if MSI doesn't release a non-reference card on Jan 9th i'm pulling the trigger on a run of the mill reference card.

does MSI release their lightning cards at the same time as reference cards are available? i thought it usually takes a while

Back