AIO's like Corsair, Asus

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
What kind of fluids do thjey use in the AIO's like Corsair, Asus? Can they handle really cold temps. Like 15 and up?

I believe it's just distilled water with anti-bacterial additive.
Is that 15*C or F? If F, it's gonna freeze and crack open.

its basically an antifreeze mix with water. yeah thats getting low. the min storage temp, iirc, is -20c. just bring it inside.

I have Corsair H100I. It's been running for about 9 years now. 1 year I would come home after working the night shift about 10 hours. Furnace stopped. How was about 25F. Computer be off.and nothing wrong or frozen. And I always wonder what they used now a days. I remember back then distilled water. But thought by now they would have come out with something better.

I just read that they many AIO's use 10% mix of Ethylene Glycol.
here is a chart I found. 10% looks like maybe 25*F

1675615910794.png

Based on my experience in the LNG biz, eGLy is a very effective coolant and can work in a fairly wide range of temps, as shown above, as well as other environmental conditions....

However, beyond a 20% concentration, it begins to add ALOT of resistance, which can cause a number of issues in a pipeline, such as thermodynamic stress, decreased flow rates, and heat buildup, which in turn can cause premature pump failures, decreased measurement accuracies, and if not closely monitored, accounted or/corrected appropriately, chemical explosions....

And to extrapolate that down to the level of pc cooling systems, which are WAY more delicate and less forgiving of these types of anomalies, with much weaker pumps, piping, and connectors, I would NOT recommend using more than a 8-10% mix :)

Last one I cut open was antifreeze/ethylene glycol watered down. Basically the same thing I've been using since the ancient days.

Based on my experience in the LNG biz, eGLy is a very effective coolant and can work in a fairly wide range of temps, as shown above, as well as other environmental conditions....

However, beyond a 20% concentration, it begins to add ALOT of resistance, which can cause a number of issues in a pipeline, such as thermodynamic stress, decreased flow rates, and heat buildup, which in turn can cause premature pump failures, decreased measurement accuracies, and if not closely monitored, accounted or/corrected appropriately, chemical explosions....

And to extrapolate that down to the level of pc cooling systems, which are WAY more delicate and less forgiving of these types of anomalies, with much weaker pumps, piping, and connectors, I would NOT recommend using more than a 8-10% mix :)
Funny we had a govt contract to study hydrogen fuel cells and we had a expensive glycol cooling system which leaked freq. and we had a visit from a major refinery that starts with the letter E and the first comment he said was " What idiot used this wrong kind of PVC to plumb the entire system?"

Funny we had a govt contract to study hydrogen fuel cells and we had a expensive glycol cooling system which leaked freq. and we had a visit from a major refinery that starts with the letter E and the first comment he said was " What idiot used this wrong kind of PVC to plumb the entire system?"
eGLy + PVC = a very, very, very bad idea, so he was mostly correct.... anyone in the petro-chemical biz with even 1/4 of a brain knows that 304 or 316 grade Stainless steel is the only REAL choice for piping, anything else is just asking for a whole heap of troublez....

Back