AIO Options for 5 3600 in an mATX/ITX case?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
My case only allows for 150mm tall tower,so air options are limited. I have a Noctua L12S installed currently - have not fired my new rig up yet - but it's not optimal because you have to remove the sink to remove the ram, and it covers up almost the entire MB, and the RAM (bye bye RGB RAM). After I replace the Noctua brown fan, I'll easily have $70.00 in this not optimal cooler. There jsut aren't many air options for this case.

I can get the Corsair (It's a corsair case too) H60 for $70.00. Are they any good quality wise? I don't want to be playing a game and then. . . .NIAGRA FALLS!

I've never done any liquid cooling, so there is that stress.

Any suggestions?

Noctua L12S covering almost my entire ITX board and ALL RAM - lol.
WP_20200304_21_20_45_Pro.jpg

What are you trying to cool. And yeah the H60 is a nice unit and you could even add another fan for better cooling of the radiator if need be. I had one and it did well on my Ryzen 2600 and even on my R9 3900x when I first got it and before I upgraded to a larger unit because I was tweaking that chip and it was no longer stock settings.

i dont think a H60 would cut it. maybe a H80. what case are you using?

What are you trying to cool. And yeah the H60 is a nice unit and you could even add another fan for better cooling of the radiator if need be. I had one and it did well on my Ryzen 2600 and even on my R9 3900x when I first got it and before I upgraded to a larger unit because I was tweaking that chip and it was no longer stock settings.
really? what temps were you getting?!

In my experience, a L12/L12S was worse than a single fan U9S.

However, as asked above, what case are you using?

i dont think a H60 would cut it. maybe a H80. what case are you using?

really? what temps were you getting?!

Not great when I enabled PBO and it raised the limits for TDC, EDC, and PPT to the motherboard values. Lol.

I was going to suggest the H80 which from reviews I have seen seems to be decent but they seem to not be available anywhere. That is why I said to add a second fan since it looks like that is all the H80 is. But I have not idea of what processor they have or case so it is kind of hard to make a proper suggestion. I mean I have a H115i Platinum on my and it keeps the temps under 70C for an R20 run with tweaked fan settings and push/pull setup. But I have a good sized case.

"What are you trying to cool.?" In the title, R5 3600. What about leakage? Should you buy a new one every two years, or how does that work?

Not great when I enabled PBO and it raised the limits for TDC, EDC, and PPT to the motherboard values. Lol.

I was going to suggest the H80 which from reviews I have seen seems to be decent but they seem to not be available anywhere. That is why I said to add a second fan since it looks like that is all the H80 is. But I have not idea of what processor they have or case so it is kind of hard to make a proper suggestion. I mean I have a H115i Platinum on my and it keeps the temps under 70C for an R20 run with tweaked fan settings and push/pull setup. But I have a good sized case.
the h75 is an h60 with 2 fans. an h80 is a thick rad, 38mm vs 27mm.

"What are you trying to cool.?" In the title, R5 3600. What about leakage? Should you buy a new one every two years, or how does that work?
no not every two years. mine are all over 4. you'll hear the coolant getting low because it will start to gurgle a lot or you'll get a clog after a few years and temps will start to go up. although thats usually from heatsoaking them for extended time. like i got given one that was used on a fx-9000 series and only lasted a year or so and clogged. i unclogged it, refilled it and its on my old rx580 running great.

In my experience, a L12/L12S was worse than a single fan U9S.

However, as asked above, what case are you using?

L12s vs U9S
NH-L12S-Stock.png

Test Link (See L12S fan top placement, which is how I am running it.

The case is the Corsair Crystal 280X mATX/ITX case. It can take a total of 7 140mm fans.
-CC-9011136-WW-Gallery-280X-WHT-01.png
Link Specs

L12s vs U9S
NH-L12S-Stock.png

Test Link (See L12S fan top placement, which is how I am running it.

The case is the Corsair Crystal 280X mATX/ITX case. It can take a total of 7 140mm fans.
View attachment 228260
Link Specs
That link just shows every configuration of the L12S performing worse than the U9S with a single fan. Again, this was my experience, too! I even had the dual fan version of the L12S (the older L12), with an 120x25mm fan on top (upgraded over the original slim fan) and an 80x25mm fan on the bottom. U9S with a single fan was still better, and that was in the Ncase M1, a case with far fewer fan/airflow options.

That link just shows every configuration of the L12S performing worse than the U9S with a single fan. Again, this was my experience, too! I even had the dual fan version of the L12S (the older L12), with an 120x25mm fan on top (upgraded over the original slim fan) and an 80x25mm fan on the bottom. U9S with a single fan was still better, and that was in the Ncase M1, a case with far fewer fan/airflow options.
They are exactly the same under load. The U9s single fan and the L12S both 61C! TDP is 95 on the 3600. I'm fully happy with 65 under and incredibly unrealistic synthetic load. Also, they tested it on an 84 watt TDP CPU, whereas the 3600 is 65 watts TDP. So, it's going to be even cooler than that. I was never really worried about the L12S keeping the 3600 cool enough. It's just too Fing big for my build, covers my RGB RAM, hard to work around, and ugly.

Last edited:
lol then put a 240 or 280mm aio on it. i would recommend the h100 or or h115 would be even better. my 2600x barely breaks 50c on my h100 and is pretty quiet.
Pen, lol, it's a stock 3600 and I'm going to disable all the factory OC shit in the bios. It's never going to see the high side of 70 watts wide open. Now go find my a WHITE AIO set up that is a 120mm version!

They are exactly the same under load. The U9s single fan and the L12S both 61C! TDP is 95 on the 3600. I'm fully happy with 65 under and incredibly unrealistic synthetic load. Also, they tested it on an 84 watt TDP CPU, whereas the 3600 is 65 watts TDP. So, it's going to be even cooler than that. I was never really worried about the L12S keeping the 3600 cool enough. It's just too Fing big for my build, covers my RGB RAM, hard to work around, and ugly.
That's the point. The U9S stays largely withing the socket area, so it doesn't cover up the RAM, all while outperforming the L12s. The L12 & L12S never made sense in most setups, given its drawbacks.

If the L12S isn't viable, then ditch it. If it's not worth ditching, then just keep running it. I did for a number of years, with the L12/L12s.

IMO, water isn't worth it for most CPUs.

Can you actually change parts on the AIO systems or buy the parts individually and assemble them?

That's the point. The U9S stays largely withing the socket area, so it doesn't cover up the RAM, all while outperforming the L12s. The L12 & L12S never made sense in most setups, given its drawbacks.

If the L12S isn't viable, then ditch it. If it's not worth ditching, then just keep running it. I did for a number of years, with the L12/L12s.

IMO, water isn't worth it for most CPUs.

Yeah the mini tower does take up much less space, and about the same space out of my wallet as the H60 H2o cooler, which look s a hellava lot nicer.
At this point, water is only aesthetics for me lol. If I didn;t have a 3 window display case, I could care less, but this is my first type of build, and I want to see how nice looking I can get it.

Dude, did you find me the ugliest Corsair offering you could? hahahhaa
Pen, lol, it's a stock 3600 and I'm going to disable all the factory OC shit in the bios. It's never going to see the high side of 70 watts wide open. Now go find my a WHITE AIO set up that is a 120mm version!
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Hydr...ords=H100i+RGB+PLATINUM&qid=1583567989&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Addressable-...EEPCOOL+Castle+240EX+WH&qid=1583567927&sr=8-1

Dude, did you find me the ugliest Corsair offering you could? hahahhaa
turn the rgb off.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah the mini tower does take up much less space, and about the same space out of my wallet as the H60 H2o cooler, which look s a hellava lot nicer.
At this point, water is only aesthetics for me lol. If I didn;t have a 3 window display case, I could care less, but this is my first type of build, and I want to see how nice looking I can get it.
Sounds fun! I do quite like the appearance of that Corsair case.

Have fun tinkering! :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds fun! I do quite like the appearance of that Corsair case.

Have fun tinkering! :D
It's a very nice case once you start investigating it too, better than thought it would be.Very thick, matte finish that you can feel. I just nee to find some quality white fans. I sure wish Noctua would create a white option (and all black) for their Redux fans. They offer the little rubber fan mounts in different colors now! Wow, probably caused their design department some serious mental issues designing all that color into their brand.

81QZ4VI-nvL._SL1500_.jpg

Whew! Imagine the mental trauma Noctua went through offering those little colorful do dads! I mean, Woaaaaa!

It's a very nice case once you start investigating it too, better than thought it would be.Very thick, matte finish that you can feel. I just nee to find some quality white fans. I sure wish Noctua would create a white option (and all black) for their Redux fans. They offer the little rubber fan mounts in different colors now! Wow, probably caused their design department some serious mental issues designing all that color into their brand.

View attachment 228357

Whew! Imagine the mental trauma Noctua went through offering those little colorful do dads! I mean, Woaaaaa!

Corsair has some nice white fans.

The first one you posted, that Corsair, is still a fugly cooler - lol. The Deepcool you posted is really nice looking, but 140.00bucks. How'sthe quality of the Deep Cool brand?
why do you think they are ugly? the rainbow rgb? it can be turned off.

why do you think they are ugly? the rainbow rgb? it can be turned off.
Naw, not the RGB, the shape and design of it. It just looks cheap to me, if this is the one you posted? I don't like the way the fans look either, the shape of the carriage. The water block looks plain and plasticy. The end caps on the rad look plain. It just lacks over all detail I guess.
81UMU8POoOL._SL1500_.jpg

I think this looks tons better to me.
515bLaqKqzL._SL1000_.jpg

I need to find a white block, sleeves, and fans to match my white theme. Fritzz posted teh all white Corsair unit, but it's too much. Would look really nice, though. I really don't need it to be white, as I can put in in teh top of the case, and it's virtually hidden. I don't even need white hoses or sleeves, but the water block shoild be white or light gray/black, like the corsair. It would just look really nice to ave white hoses and a white water block.

In teh mean time, I'm ging to take off the Noctua L12S and install stock stealth cooler until I find something i can live with. Amazon will credit my account for the 50 bucks the Noc cooler cost and I can apply that to whatever I (we) come up with.

Last edited:
Corsair has some nice white fans.
Arctic has nice looking white fans, BioniX, white and gray, and they sell them for a premium price based on their marketing, but when i got them I almost LOLed out of my chair they were so flimsy and cheap ass. fan even wobbled in the carriage. The Noctua 140mm Redux fan I just got is solid and you can feel the difference in build quaity spinning the fan and watching, listening to it. Miles ahead of the Artic Bionic crap I sent back.

I don't know how well the Corsair fans are. It is unfortunate Noctua doesn't offer their fans in white or a light grey/white theme.

Last edited:
What seems rediculous is that a Ryzen 3600 CPU wth allthe 20th and 21st century tech behind it goes for 150 bucks, while a liquid cooler for it goes for 160.00. WTF? Technology wise, it's like the difference between a slingshot, a nice one with RGB light on it, vs a nuclear weapon, costing about the same.

Naw, not the RGB, the shape and design of it. It just looks cheap to me, if this is the one you posted? I don't like the way the fans look either, the shape of the carriage. The water block looks plain and plasticy. The end caps on the rad look plain. It just lacks over all detail I guess.
View attachment 228426

I think this looks tons better to me.
View attachment 228427
spend more money then. you keep complaining about prices so i suggest cheaper stuff and it not nice enough. those two look almost identical to me, ones silver and grey.

Well, take a closer look at the water block. See my last post here: https://hardforum.com/threads/fan-orientation-and-ugliness.1993461/page-2#post-1044518194
Enermax unit, single rad, white hoses cables, 89.00. Not sure about Enermax quality, though.
they are both basic plain blocks one blac one silver and black. not that different. they are also both based on cootit design. i have no idea about the enermax but i saw it and this is why you should only have one thread...

Arctic has nice looking white fans, BioniX, white and gray, and they sell them for a premium price based on their marketing, but when i got them I almost LOLed out of my chair they were so flimsy and cheap ass. fan even wobbled in the carriage. The Noctua 140mm Redux fan I just got is solid and you can feel the difference in build quaity spinning the fan and watching, listening to it. Miles ahead of the Artic Bionic crap I sent back.

I don't know how well the Corsair fans are. It is unfortunate Noctua doesn't offer their fans in white or a light grey/white theme.

Corsair fans are very good as far as I can tell. And very quiet. I have 7 of them in my case, 3 120's and 4 140's. They are not cheap though.

Back