AIO liquid cooling is coming to video cards. Finally a use for that second pcie slot?

Asetek, creator of cpu AIO liquid cooling, has come up with a "radiator card" that slots into a pcie slot underneath the video card. I think it is a good idea considering that SLI being dead has left a gaping hole in that spot for years. I predict a series of "custom loop wcooling is dead" youtube videos in the near future. Here is the link:https://www.techpowerup.com/267141/...rd-industrys-first-slot-in-pcie-radiator-card

I would like to see the inside of that rad card. Airflow and fin arrangement has me confused.

I am really hoping that radiator manufactirers will pay the licensing fee and possibly take advantage of this slot as well. I can see "smart rads" with temp sensors that take advantage of the pcie slot. Or even, dumb ones that just have a bracket for the slot.

Interesting. I like the tech, and it's true all these gigantic cases, extra space. SLI/crossfire being dead, and sounds cards no longer being relevant makes sense for this application. Why I opted for 3 slot width cooler on my 2080 Ti, nothing else there. Though my GPU actually runs cooler than my 9900k 5 GHz all core overlcock when gaming. That things churns out the heat. I would have loved something like this for my old AMD 290X. That's a card that needed this thing.

AIO cooled GPUs have been around for years and they work great. Not sure about his one. It looks like it might be similar to Corsair's AIO coolers that will only work on reference cards. It does look like it at least blows the hot air out the expansion slots but two expansion slots is a small area compared to 120mm fan opening every other AIO GPU uses. They say it is for compact cases but if you want a compact case you aren't using an ATX board and you won't have the space for this.

Here comes 5 slot video cards :p. I'd rather just have the typical AIO GPUs with the radiator that mounts right to the case fan ports honestly, just too much room wasted for a single video card.

I've been hoping for a push back toward smaller single slot GPUs.. I really like the look of the Galax GTX 1070 Katana, but afraid it would just be louder than all hell.

Dell has already released promotional material about how they are using these in the new Alienware desktops.

I don't like it -- I use my slots -- but i would be open to more GPUs having W/C ports to them and AIO coolers being able to plug into that but then not carrying a huge premium

Weird and wrong for so so many reasons. I see zero benefits of this. But, feel free to prove me wrong. There might be a small handful of situations where it might work "ok". But likely not.

It's like when there are several ways to solve a problem and the teacher asks you to find one more way, and so you get creative to "force" another solution in.

Weird and wrong for so so many reasons. I see zero benefits of this. But, feel free to prove me wrong. There might be a small handful of situations where it might work "ok". But likely not.

It's like when there are several ways to solve a problem and the teacher asks you to find one more way, and so you get creative to "force" another solution in.
I can see a small number of benefits to this but they are pretty situational. I wonder if this takes air in or out of the case??? I would be interested to see how this works against a triple slot design like those used by Asus for their RTX series.
Personally I am more interested about the possibility of somebody releasing a pump/reservoir combo for custom loops that fits in this area.

I don't really get it, video cards are bottlenecked by the lack of space to dissipate heat. Putting in a radiator that's no larger than a video card doesn't seem to solve that issue. It might take 5 minutes instead of 1 for the heat to spike, but people usually don't game for 5 minutes, but hours. So how exactly will this be more silent or cooler than a regular cooler?

On the other hand this is a neat idea, but there is no way this is even nearly as effective and silent as a proper radiator with much larger surface area and a proper quiet 120mm high pressure fan cooling it down. Only thing this has going for is that it does not take away a fan slot.

Rad Card... throwing away a perfectly good OEM cooler since 2020.

Asetek, creator of cpu AIO liquid cooling, has come up with a "radiator card" that slots into a pcie slot underneath the video card. I think it is a good idea considering that SLI being dead has left a gaping hole in that spot for years. I predict a series of "custom loop wcooling is dead" youtube videos in the near future. Here is the link:https://www.techpowerup.com/267141/...rd-industrys-first-slot-in-pcie-radiator-card
I would love if EKWB or Corsair made a pump/res combo that fit in a pcie slot. Would make for some clean looking custom loop jobs. Would be swell if it pulled power from it and also reported back it’s info as well, just to remove the SATA and USB cables that go to them currently.

sweet. I only do AIO, cuz im lazy and really don't care to build out anything custom. This will be nice.

I like how he gives dell shit about the 6 pin power but it’s a 12v system

It's not as if Dell is afraid of custom sockets. My last two work PC's both had non standard mobo power connectors, and they were different from each other.

It's not as if Dell is afraid of custom sockets. My last two work PC's both had non standard mobo power connectors, and they were different from each other.
Dell changes their 12 systems every couple of years, it’s why Intel’s 12v standard was such a note worthy thing. I have 2 or 3 different 12v systems from Dell.

Salazar Studio reviewed one of the Alienware cards. TLDW version - same performance as air cooled, a little louder, good for very small form factor cases to exhaust heat out. Not worth it for a decent sized case.

Last edited:
I've been using that 2nd pci-e slot for 10Gbit card and/or sata/storage controller...

Who remembers when you got brackets made to order for your card?
Don't remember dudes name but it worked great for $20 + and AIO.

Yeah nope. Custom loops will always be superior
You cant pack the flow rates, the block qualities, and the massive radiator sizes in an aio. Sorry.

Yeah nope. Custom loops will always be superior
You cant pack the flow rates, the block qualities, and the massive radiator sizes in an aio. Sorry.
Custom has a diminishing returns problem. Five to ten times the price of AIO, for like 5% lower temps. That's why I stopped.

Custom has a diminishing returns problem. Five to ten times the price of AIO, for like 5% lower temps. That's why I stopped.

No AIO can cool a CPU and GPU and Chipset and Mosfets at same time. Nothing diminishing there. Maybe if your custom looping a 65watt chip youre right.

My custom loop is cooling my 3960x, 2080ti and it keeps my 2080ti under ful load vetween 40 and 50c and threadripper under full load at 60c. What AIO can do that?

Back