AIO - Corsair H150i or NZXT X62?

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by 1Wolf, Mar 2, 2018.

1. 1Wolf

1Wolf Limp Gawd

I'm slowly putting together a delidded 8700K build. I'm trying to decide which AIO water cooler I want and was hoping to get some opinions and advice.

The case I'm building in is a Corsair Crystal 570x. Regardless of which AIO I choose, I'll be front-mounting it. It will also be in push/pull configuration as I'll be using Corsair RGB fans in front, then the radiator, then the radiator fans. I'm trying to decide between the NZXT Kraken X62 or the Corsair H150i.

With regards to noise versus performance, I very much prefer cooling performance over silence. While I certainly don't want it to sound like a helicopter...the other AIO's I've used in the past have never bothered me. I suppose there is so much other noise in the house, the fans are the least of it ;)

I've had decent luck with Corsairs in the past, the H150i is a 360mm radiator, and what few reviews I've read seem to say its pretty quiet but that people were underwhelmed by its cooling performance. The 360mm rad will likely fit perfect in the front of the Crystal 570x. On the downside, I've read that the cold plate is smaller and round and I've read some complaining it might not fit larger CPU's. I'm not sure if that will be an issue with an 8700K or not. At least a smaller block will probably not crowd the memory and such too much.

On the other hand, I've read good things about the Kraken X62 as well, the waterblock looks very nice. I'm not sure how a 280mm slightly thicker rad (I'm not looking at the stats now but I think the X62 is thicker) will compare to a slightly thinner 360mm rad. On the downside, the mounting of the 280mm rad to the front of the Crystal 570x probably wont' be as smooth as the 360. Also, I'd read a lot of complaints about the NZXT software for the X62. The software sounds like crap. Lastly, the waterblock is larger and I've read some folks who had to mount the waterblock sideways to keep it from interfering with RAM. Its only a cosmetic thing I realize, but I do prefer to have it mounted right-side up.

What do you think?

Thanks!

2. 1Wolf

1Wolf Limp Gawd

Anyone who happens upon this post can ignore it. Looks like NZXT just released their 360mm NZXT Kraken X72 so I think I'll wait until some reviews come out on that, and compare it to the Corsair offering. I just hope NZXT fixed its CAM software as I seem to read an awful lot of complaints about it.

3. Absalom

Absalom Limp Gawd

One thing to keep in mind that an x62 is effectively two 140mm fans while the x72 is effectively three 120mm fans. So while the x72 does provide more surface area to cool the radiator, it is using smaller fans to push the air through the radiator. Each 120mm fan will have to work harder to push equivalent air, but since you have 3 of them, that might make up for that and then some. And nothing is preventing you from setting up a low rpm fan profile to mitigate any resulting noise. Either way, such a small detail might or might not be a big deal to you.

The extra 3mm height of the x62 will probably only matter if mounting clearance is an issue. I seriously doubt 3mm of height would offer any cooling advantage. NZXT probably just found a way to shrink the radiator housing down.

On paper, both are using the same pump. I'd expect everything to be the same there - the pump, the LED + mirror face, the copper plate, the braided hoses, etc.

Another thing to consider is that not all cases can fit such large radiators. More than likely, the x72 will be mounted vertically where the x62 will allow either or. If you are dead set on a 360mm radiator, then your case selection will be rather limited.

After a year of using an x62, I can honestly say that it's pretty much overkill for my needs. But it looks nice and it fits in my case well. Even if an x72 were mountable in an H440, I can't see it improving things that much. But that doesn't mean I'm not curious as to how the x72 performs compared to its older brothers. It's nice to have more options.

CAM isn't awful. NZXT isn't exactly a software company, but CAM is a lot better than most motherboard manufacturer's provisioned (more like outsourced, hah) software. CAM has had its hiccups over time. I've only ever been affected by their auto-update breaking an existing install. While annoying, the fix was to completely uninstall CAM and reinstall from scratch. CAM got a UI overhaul a couple of months ago. I can't say the UI overhaul impressed me that much, but it didn't break anything that I cared about. Oddly enough, I did have to redo my lighting profiles. That took all of 2 minutes.

When I was making similar comparisons of NZXT to Corsair a year ago, the performance difference was so marginal, it barely factored into my decision. Ultimately I went with NZXT because it simply looked better. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. My friend likes his H115i. I like my x62. Between the both of us, they're both solid performers.