1x Corsair H100i Cool
2x Corsair SP120 fans
1x Asus Maximus VI Hero
1x Intel Core i7-4770k
2x Crucial Ballistix 8GB
1x Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
2x Seagate 2TB Hybrid
2x GPU - Not yet decided but either 290X or 780Ti

Obviously I want a decent PSU for that lot and I would like some reasonable overhead to allow for OCing (CPU and GPUs) as well as for inevitable upgrades.

I am thinking an 800W+ PSU would be sensible, as such I was thinking about the following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/410789-corsai...um-high-performance-860w-power-supply-corsair

However, is this sufficient for the above system (worst case scenario 2x 290X and OCing everything)? Also, is it going to be remain relevant for a few years at least (5-years or so)?

Should I be looking at something beefier? I was just going to go for the AX1200i but they're now out of stock annoyingly.

The others that stick out are as follows:

http://www.ebuyer.com/399387-fracta...0-plus-platinum-modular-psu-fd-psu-nt3b-1000w

http://www.ebuyer.com/235559-coolermaster-silent-pro-gold-1000w-modular-psu-rsa00-80gad3-uk

http://www.ebuyer.com/387581-be-quiet-1000w-dark-power-pro-10-psu-bn204

Any tips would be MUCH appreciated as I'm looking to pull the trigger today :D

You shouldn't need an AX1200i.

The AX series is the best from Corsair. The 860 will be fine. Even if you need more juice that power supply can output more.

Yep, 860 is good. my vote is for the Seasonic SS-860XP2 or Corsair AX860.

Why not go for the H110 if you're using an Air 540?

Hi Guys.

Good news about the AX860i then. Any comments on the BeQuiet? I'm just looking to ensure longevity of bits I buy.

As for the H110...it's OOS. No big deal though, I understand the H100i is supposed to be very close.

EDIT:

Missed the boat on shipping today :(

You realize that 2 290x in Crossfire will pull well over 780 watts?
If you OC that CPU youll kill an 860 w psu in a flaming ball of smoke.
I have nearly the same setup and I replaced a Corsair AX 850 with a Seasonic 1050.
I would not recommend anything less than 1000w if you buy 290X.

This also shows you want a well made, good quality PSU if you are going to run 290X CrossFire with an overclocked system. This doesn't take into affect overclocked 290X cards either which we will cover once we see custom cooler cards delivered for review. A robust PSU is needed, period.

Above quote from hardocp review of 290X Crossfire performance.

Last edited:
You realize that 2 290x in Crossfire will pull well over 780 watts?
If you OC that CPU youll kill an 860 w psu in a flaming ball of smoke.
I have nearly the same setup and I replaced a Corsair AX 850 with a Seasonic 1050.
I would not recommend anything less than 1000w if you buy 290X.

The AX860 will output over 900 watts if needed. It has a higher ceiling than just 860.

Hmmm...

Seems a bit of a risk no? If something were to go pop then I'd not have a leg to stand on because I wasn't using a sufficiently rated PSU.

I'd rather have some overhead.

The AX860 will output over 900 watts if needed. It has a higher ceiling than just 860.

Even if you can push that AX to 900W you,ll be asking it to go to over 90% and practically speaking near 100% output when gaming......and that's only accounting for stock GPUs and CPU.

If you clock those up......well good luck.

I wouldn't try that for one minute, no sir.

I'd like to see some literature to back up your statement about the 900W is ok all day long on a 850 W psu.

I feel like people are misunderstanding power supplies a bit here. There wouldn't be any "flaming ball of smoke." I'd like to see a review that shows that shows 2x 290X pulling 780W from the power supply. The [H] review shows 780W from the wall while actually gaming with an OC'd CPU. The maximum of the AX860 from the wall will cap out around 955W~. There is no 100% efficient PSU.

With that said, your goal should not be 90% of a power supply's usage but you certainly shouldn't be basing required DC watts off of used AC watts without calculating efficiency appropriately.

At a 780W load, the supply used in the [H] review is likely still above 90% efficiency. The PSU is outputting ~700W DC. You would be at ~81% usage of the AX860.

With that said, I think Magoo's Seasonic 1050W is a good fit for that setup with 2x 290x putting it around 2/3rds usage at load.

If you were using SLI 780 Tis, you would be perfectly fine with the 860.

Thanks guys.

Personally, I'd rather have a PSU that is considered overkill than be at 90% of capacity.

Just my 2p

I think you'd be fine with an AX860, but having a little more headroom wouldn't hurt either, especially with those 290x cards.

I don't mind running my PSU at most/all of it's capacity, because the only real times it's getting a workout would be the 15-20hrs I game a week. Even then not all my games require my 780s and CPU to be running at 90-100% constantly.

Back