AI researchers made a sarcasm detection model

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Sarcasm is a pervasive phenomenon in today’s social media platforms such as Twitter and Reddit. These platforms allow users to create multi-modal messages, including texts, images, and videos. Existing multi-modal sarcasm detection methods either simply concatenate the features from multi modalities or fuse the multi modalities information in a designed manner. However, they ignore the incongruity character in sarcastic utterance, which is often manifested between modalities or within modalities. Inspired by this, we propose a BERT architecture-based model, which concentrates on both intra and inter-modality incongruity for multi-modal sarcasm detection. To be specific, we are inspired by the idea of self-attention mechanism and design inter-modality attention to capturing inter-modality incongruity. In addition, the co-attention mechanism is applied to model the contradiction within the text. The incongruity information is then used for prediction. The experimental results demonstrate that our model achieves state-of-the-art performance on a public multi-modal sarcasm detection dataset."

https://venturebeat.com/2020/11/18/...rcasm-detection-model-and-its-soo-impressive/

giphy.gif

Furthermore, is this a joke? Who in their right mind would spend time on a project like this?

The experimental results demonstrate that our model achieves state-of-the-art performance on a public multi-modal sarcasm detection dataset."

My sarcasm detector is flagging this paper.

Reactions: erek
like this
Sounds like a real winner. Good job everyone, this round's on me!

randy_marsh_sarcastic.jpg

"This project seems like the best thing ever, it will absolutely solve all the world's problems."

This project reminds me of Heidi Turner and the emoji analysis to find the troll. A.I. isn't infallable, lest we forget Microsoft's Tae.

Furthermore, is this a joke? Who in their right mind would spend time on a project like this?
People who want to control your thoughts and root out any kind of dissent against them.

Last edited:
All silliness aside, this would be cool for someone on the autism spectrum who cannot readily detect sarcasm. Imagine actual benefits from a "google glasses" for such folks.

Slight tangent, but maybe useful for others who work with such folks (high-functioning autism is really common in engineering):
I am unable to stop my sarcasm. I really am. So I adopted a model with the folks with whom I work. We all work on video together now, and if I look to the left right after I say something - they know I mean the opposite of what I am saying. It's easy to blend this in with everything else. Other folks don't notice it at all, but they do, and know what I am really meaning.

But I'm quite sure AI will handle this just as well. Nothing could possibly go wrong here.
<looks left>

Back