AI Powers Windows 10 April 2018 Update Rollout

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Microsoft is proud of their latest update rollout and they give all the credit to AI for making it happen smoothly. They say this is the first time they've leveraged AI on this scale and it really improved the quality and reliability of the update. The AI uses feedback from all that telemetry MS is receiving and it chooses the systems most likely to take the update smoothly and with little trouble. Over time they use the feedback from the update to smooth out further deliveries and as a result the April 2018 update was the smoothest to date. Interesting use of AI if you ask me.

Our AI approach has enabled us to quickly spot issues during deployment of a feature update, and as a result has also allowed us to go faster responsibly. In fact, the April 2018 Update is officially the fastest version of Windows 10 to reach 250 million devices, achieving that mark in less than half the time it took the Fall Creators Update!

Seemed to work well on all our Windows 10 PCs. Sucked for those people with Intel SSDs, but I guess the AI didn't see hard drive driver problems coming.

This update took hours to complete with a 100Mb connection and a high end xeon cpu... I honestly thought it was going to eat my windows install and force me to wipe the machine.

I would just like to thank MS and its AI for creating the usual rush of business as I sort out many update screw ups for customers.

I would say each major update adds a good chunk of income I didn't get before.

Please keep making sure the 7 or 8 'rescue/reset/repair' options you build into Windows 10 never ever work. Thanks!:rolleyes:

This update took hours to complete with a 100Mb connection and a high end xeon cpu... I honestly thought it was going to eat my windows install and force me to wipe the machine.

Mine took just 35 minutes to go to 1803.

We've had lots of black screen issues after the update where I work, it's been driving us nuts. It could be that people get impatient with the update since it takes so long and restart even though they shouldn't, but I don't know for sure if that's what's happening. As Dr House always said, "Everybody lies" lol

The difference in update time on an SSD Vs a Spinning disk is.... terrifying.

SSD based desktops weren't terrible, but spinning disks took ages to run the April update...

It totally trashed my HP Ryzen r 2500u laptop had to restore from a disk image and currently have windows update service disabled, meter settings did not stop windows 1803 from trying to install. Manually updating defender now. At least machine is stable with 1709.
Lets see no New Amd apu Vega 8 drivers since Nov 2017, So maybe it's a combo of poor support from AMD and an AI assisted Windows 10 upgrade that was rushed out the door? Funny my Intel based VR laptop has had no issues.....

Insinuating there's some level of intelligence at MS these days. Especially when it comes to updates on Win10.

Now if only the new build (1803) didn't totally Bork the EMR (Medinformatix) that my company uses as pretty much its only application. I wouldn't have to spend so much time rolling it back.

We've spent hours fighting with Microsoft on this. Pushing down to PCs over the internet and not checking in with WSUS. Interrupting windows logins with popups to scare users into downloading it, which while they can tie up the pipe for hours, they can't actually approve the update.

It's been a pain. I'm going to be so glad when we finally publish 1803 via WSUS and can stop dealing with it.

I have a PC that won't update to 1803. I'm currently on 1709, and the ONLY way I got there was by formatting the C: drive and starting all over. I am getting the error that happens at the 49% point. A Window pops up that says "Preparing for Update". After a few minutes - I get this:

upload_2018-6-15_12-44-4.png

Clicking on the "Uninstall and continue" button, I get this:

upload_2018-6-15_12-45-4.png

Well, I have NEVER installed anything from McAfee - EVER. Calling Micro$soft was no help. After a few hours of three of four techs dinking around on my machine, they threw their hands up and said "We can't help you". One of the things they did was to download the Master software removal tool from McAfee and it didn't do a thing. It looks as though it is going thru the motions of uninstalling programs - - - but it changes NOTHING!!!

I guess I have to start all over - again!

That had no effect. I will just re-format and re-install everything. This Forum isn't really meant to be a Help Service.

I do have all of my software backed up, and only takes about 3-4 hours MAX to get back to where I was...

"AI"

Is that 2018's version of "the cloud" and "synergy" (and other annoying corporate buzzwords)?

Yes it is, don't forget "Deep Learning" seems anything with "Deep" in it is being thrown around a lot recently, although "Deep throat" hasn't been used nearly enough :p

Is this a build update? which is basically a new version of windows. These types of updates work better as a fresh install.
Same way going from windows 8 to 8.1

"AI"

Is that 2018's version of "the cloud" and "synergy" (and other annoying corporate buzzwords)?

It's definitely on the corporate buzzword bingo card along with Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Autonomous, Natural Language Processing, Agile Business Intelligence, yada yada. .

A.I. is the new IF-THEN statement.

Last edited:
I have a PC that won't update to 1803. I'm currently on 1709, and the ONLY way I got there was by formatting the C: drive and starting all over. I am getting the error that happens at the 49% point. A Window pops up that says "Preparing for Update". After a few minutes - I get this:

View attachment 81673

Clicking on the "Uninstall and continue" button, I get this:

View attachment 81674

Well, I have NEVER installed anything from McAfee - EVER. Calling Micro$soft was no help. After a few hours of three of four techs dinking around on my machine, they threw their hands up and said "We can't help you". One of the things they did was to download the Master software removal tool from McAfee and it didn't do a thing. It looks as though it is going thru the motions of uninstalling programs - - - but it changes NOTHING!!!

I guess I have to start all over - again!

I had something similar happen with a client machine...turns out they had some really old Norton files in a backup somewhere...not installed, but just present.

Deleted the files, updated fine.

Is this a build update? which is basically a new version of windows. These types of updates work better as a fresh install.
Same way going from windows 8 to 8.1

If only I had 'all the time in the world' to then reinstall and authenticate all my software every 6 months.

A clean install takes 10 minutes but reinstalling all my software and making it work...then all the tweaks and customisations...oh no.

As long has you can slap a catchy hot marketing tag (like AI) to your latest gimmick, it's all good for company propaganda. I have a batch script that has AI in it - cutting edge If/then logic.

I had something similar happen with a client machine...turns out they had some really old Norton files in a backup somewhere...not installed, but just present.

Deleted the files, updated fine.

Yup check the compat files in the panther folder... there is also a xml with Human readable in the name to find the path...

We had one desktop tech that got blocked from an update due to a network path to old driver installer files... had to rename the folder and then perform the install... no idea what triggered looking in there since many people had access, must be some history path check.

Since last month I've installed the new build on roughly 3 dozen machines. All the machines are kept updated weekly so as to minimize hiccups from too much missed in between. Seen it happen.

The slowest machines, 32 bit duo cores took around 80 minutes for the install. No real glitches other than what's become the norm over the last year with having to manually install some HP drivers. One thing I did notice this week is that edge was back to hijacking PDF's as the default app.

My home rigs, all 64 bit but much faster on every hardware level, averaged 20-30 minutes. So far haven't noticed any changes or problems.

Yup check the compat files in the panther folder... there is also a xml with Human readable in the name to find the path...

We had one desktop tech that got blocked from an update due to a network path to old driver installer files... had to rename the folder and then perform the install... no idea what triggered looking in there since many people had access, must be some history path check.

The Panther folder was the key in this case. I had 5 folders on my C: Drive that had the name Panther. I renamed all of them to something else, and tried again. This is what I got:

upload_2018-6-17_13-6-51.png

So, I simply renamed the one in the C:\Windows directory back to Panther - and it started the Update "normally". If anything Micro$oft can be called Normal. Thanks for the Tip!!!

Back