AI Portrait Sells for $432,500

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A portrait "painted" by an AI was sold for $432,500 at Christie's Auction House. The algorithm behind that art was developed and trained by a Paris based art collective, who listed an estimated selling price of "7000 - 10000 Euros" at the time of this writing. The artists tried feeding the AI a number of different genres, including nudes and landscapes, but they found that "portraits provided the best way to illustrate our point, which is that algorithms are able to emulate creativity."

'The algorithm is composed of two parts,' says Caselles-Dupre. 'On one side is the Generator, on the other the Discriminator. We fed the system with a data set of 15,000 portraits painted between the 14th century to the 20th. The Generator makes a new image based on the set, then the Discriminator tries to spot the difference between a human-made image and one created by the Generator. The aim is to fool the Discriminator into thinking that the new images are real-life portraits. Then we have a result."

I have to question the accuracy of their Discriminator if it believes this is an actual portrait. I fail to see how this emulates creativity. This is more like one bias confirming another.

What do they define creativity as??? Heck, have the AI randomly placing some dots on the screen, call it a "self portrait" and BOOM! Mic drop!

Nailed it. I remember when he was but a wee school boy.

thewall.jpg

How is this fundamentally different from taking a picture and printing it with an ink jet printer?

This just proves any shit will sell if you shine it up and put a good enough story in someones head.

on those rare times we go to an art museum, she is a painter by hobby and pretty good, she admires the art.. while i make fun of the stupid little captions displayed next to it.. and give it my own "story"

at least my stories make you laugh

on those rare times we go to an art museum, she is a painter by hobby and pretty good, she admires the art.. while i make fun of the stupid little captions displayed next to it.. and give it my own "story"

at least my stories make you laugh

Thats why I stay home when she goes to art museums. ;)

Who pays $400K for something that shot out of a printer?

People with too much money.

If you hurry, you might be able to get one of the other works by Obvious for a fraction of the price. Careful though, the site's not secure (no ssl cert -- does that mean they're insecure?), and they (or their "AI") obviously haven't learned proper engleessh grammar and can't spell engleessh worth a damn.

They have worked with NVIDIA - France though (read further down that same "About Us" page), which kinda makes this poster wonder if the painting's auction price is just one more in a series of overpriced mindfuchs (how do you say mindfuchs in French?)...

2018-10-26_11-56-07.jpg

Maybe that means they can buy their own leather jackets now?

That's art in a nutshell. You could literally sell a shit-stained toilet for 3000$ or a drawing with one line on it for 10000$. Or how bout just a panel of all black color, 50.000$ . I hate modern art with a fiery passion. In the old days we had great masters like Rembrandt, Pieter Bruegel...

Every time the commercial comes on with the guy popping in explaining things and he says "It's a blue dot" about the modern art painting, I laugh. In a similarly honest appraisal: "It's a piece of shit" about the AI work.

Something is only worth what our AI assistants tell us we should be willing to pay for it.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. It's usually a half, or fraction of a truth, mixed in with enough vagueness to enable an outside viewer to form their own opinions on what they see.

While you can polish a turd and make it look pretty, it doesn't change the fact that it is a turd. But its no longer the same turd it was, it is now a turd that you put a little bit of work into, and hopefully someone notices your turd work and pays you millions for it.

I think it's crazy how these AI's interpret and create imagery that is pretty close to the trippy shit you see on shrooms. Swirls and colors and oddities.

The AI later cut off it's own ear before shooting itself. It had truly learned what it was to be an artist.

I find it ironic that rich people spend money on shit like this. Why not use it for better purposes, or donate that money to charity. I am sure they already do donate, but waste is waste in my honest opinion.

I find it ironic that rich people spend money on shit like this. Why not use it for better purposes, or donate that money to charity. I am sure they already do donate, but waste is waste in my honest opinion.

It must be nice.....

It would have been better if it was a self nude portrait-that would have baffled many.

Looks like a typical fuzzed portrait which is how ai sees things from a far away perspective

Back