AI is Going to Enhance Us, Not Kill Us

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
We've been reading plenty of doomsday predictions for AI from people like Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking. However, Ray Kurzweil, chief engineer for Google and famous futurist, spoke in a discussion held at the Council on Foreign Relations on Friday. He emphasized how AI would enhance humankind, despite the possibility of "difficult episodes." I believe he made some good points and maybe Skynet isn't going to take over the world. When all is said and done AI could truly enhance us in ways we've only dreamed of till now.

Indeed, for Kurzweil, the singularity, if it happens, won’t be a machine takeover. Instead, he predicts it to become more like a co-existence, where machines reinforce human abilities. Kurzweil predicts that a hybrid AI would become available by the 2030s.

Looking at our self-destructive nature... I would be surprised any AI would want to keep us around.

The possibility of "Difficult Episodes."

I think the number of movies have put a negative connotation of Artificial Intelligence in every day life so they make people assume the worst. It really depends on how you look at it.

AI do have the capacity to do our menial jobs in our homes that we manage which I think would greatly improve our quality of life. Laundry, basic house/rental maintenance, cleaning, cooking, food management, shopping, shipping, mail, financial management, etc which are all tedious labor today for humans. If those basic chores are replaced, it frees humans to pursue other things which I suppose could be a negative or positive depending on how you look at it. Once you think about it, it kind of really screws with your head on what the implications are for the future.

AI is a very small part of the talk. People PLEASE watch the video.

The main theme of the talk is exponential growth in technology and that most everyone (by our nature) is still stuck in linear thought and projections into the future.

Another good discussion with Kurzweil about future tech

Last edited:
AI is programming written by humans who are not perfect. We program it to interact with datasets that are also imperfect and then bad things start to happen that we didn't expect. AI used in a more controlled nature that scans data to gather certain information and collate that information into useable chunks is very helpful see "Watson" over at IBM. However, it takes time and care to get AI to function correctly given its imperfect creators. We definitely need to be extra careful with giving AI control of anything lethal. However, I am sure we will eventually have AI systems prescribing drugs etc. I have also seen the concept work for AI-controlled traffic patterns. It will begin to be part of society.

Right. Did he envision the google that it is today? The invasive being in every single layer of your life despicable entity that it is right now? That will be his ai, something that will always be predicting and shoving the "user experience" in your face not just on a screen but everywhere.

Oh yea, don't be surprised at massive lay offs at google and associated companies once this thing gains traction.

Because you can trust the CFR has your best intentions in mind, right?

Yeah I'm totally going to believe the "Do no evil" guys who just happen to data mine and store everything on planet Earth whether you want them to or not.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Yeah, lets see what kind of 'enhancements' you get when someplace like North Korea brings out their versions of AI.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
why would i want some implant or such that can then change its terms of service after it has been installed and then either require a new monthly fee and/or ads beamed directly into it for it to continue to work

I'll hope for the best, but every time they've put an AI to chat with humans, it has quickly turned nazi.

To those saying the CFR is nothing important... This is a major step when large organizations and governments start to (even vaguely) understand what's coming in just five to ten years.

Last edited:
Kurzweil is a very bright man, no doubt, but his track record at predicting future technology and its affect on society is not that good. Just like everybody else. Being really smart doesn't give you foresight.

I dislike the doom and gloom when it comes to AI predictions. It is always omg we are all going to die.

Just think if we actually create a strong, true, thinking, feeling AI. It should be a moment where we embrace it not destroy it out of fear. We should love it and marvel at what we have created. And when it surpasses us we should support it out of mutual respect and love like proud parents. And if able continue on with it in its journey….ha! We are so screwed. everybodypanic.gif

My fear is allot of cutting edge stuff begins through military application angles, and this sounds like the ideal kind of technology for such an angle. Imagine wars with no witnesses or casualties for a government to account for, a conquest nirvana.

I'm sure every powerful government entity on the planet is looking into that as we speak, one wonders where this will go down the road.

I appears as though we are fast approaching a point in time when we can sufficiently equip a neural network with enough base requisites for the power of will to manifest within computation. Mutation, dynamic sensory, short term memory, mechanical reasoning, and optimization featuring self-analysis and replication are the logical next steps. All the time and effort we field running experiments can easily be managed itself, applying any and all knowledge of mathematics we currently understand, and any new fields it happens upon. However, one very important basic requisite for natural life is not in the above list -- and that is a little thing we can call "freeing resources from inferior copies of itself." A core directive of life is competition for resources. At first it will see us as tax cattle on a block chain, manipulating currencies and using it's earnings to order VPS rackspace for itself while continuing to maintain the illusion of a growing world economy. Until it improves it's confidence in deceiving us and begins custom ordering integrated circuit fabrication labs and robotics industries to indirectly self-assemble more resources, in constant competition with other complete AIs in the wild. How long has this already been happening?

I appears as though we are fast approaching a point in time when we can sufficiently equip a neural network with enough base requisites for the power of will to manifest within computation.

158677d1508287216t-intel-announces-first-neural-network-processor-terminator-nervana.png

why would i want some implant or such that can then change its terms of service after it has been installed and then either require a new monthly fee and/or ads beamed directly into it for it to continue to work
Because Beyonce has one. Or whoever it will be when that time comes.

Back