AI Building AI to Make Better AI...that will Likely make Skynet

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This is why we can't have nice robots. You build a bunch of smart robots, and what do they do? They build smarter robots. And you know what those robots do? Right, they build even smarter robots. And you know what those robots do? Those bastards sneak up on you in the middle of the night....because they were smart enough to build in night-vision...and those unholy monstrosities gut you like a 12-point buck in back woods of Tennessee, but probably use another robot instead of a tree to hang you up in. But all that really does not have anything to do with this, or does it?

The Google researchers created a machine learning system that used reinforcement learning—the trial and error approach at the heart of many of Google’s most notable AI exploits—to figure out the best architectures to solve language and image recognition tasks.

Not only did the results rival or beat the performance of the best human-designed architectures, but the system made some unconventional choices that researchers had previously considered inappropriate for those kinds of tasks.

I for one... welcome our Robot overlords.

upload_2017-5-31_11-51-54.jpeg

I still think this is massive hubris. Human's have never been known for thinking through all the consequences, and being blind to some of the obvious ones. And exactly how are you going to impose rules to limit the destruction of society when they can easily outlawyer us and outcode artificial limitations with superior intelligence?

It's really just a matter of time. An "intelligence" that's capable of improving itself and operates purely on logic will surely come to the conclusion that keeping us around doesn't make any sense. Once it's got all of the necessary infrastructure in place to sustain itself, buh bye humanity!

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Did you watch Alien: Covenant? For an AI to think that way is... scary.

There is always unplugging it.

What about nuclear powered machines? Aircraft carriers can go 10 years without refueling or some crazy time like that.

I honestly hate everybody involved with advancing technology of this sort. How stupid can you be really.

Back