Ai Bots that can do School Homework

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
But what if it was just because daytime daddy decided to help?

Do teachers no longer converse with their students face-to-face? I'm certain, we still do this in job interviews.
where do you think schools are getting idea? Corpations used conference video first, if I'm not mistaken

Super easy to detect. If your dumbest student suddenly shows signs of literacy or (dare I say) intelligence, you know shenanigans are afoot.
Easiest way to detect this is a pop quiz.
Straight A's and high marks on homework and F's and low marks on quizes/exams will flush them out.

Good luck with those scripts. It's been banned from stack overflow answers because most of what it produces is plausible looking but incorrect at some level.

https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/421831/temporary-policy-chatgpt-is-banned?cb=1#421831
Well yeah, i'm not surprised. If you straight copy paste its output without understanding it you will be in a world of trouble as it very often spits out code that looks like it will work, but won't when you run it. However, it gets you most of the way there.
For example, it couldn't after multiple attempts, figure out how to use Start-Process to open a ffmpeg encoding instance with arguments, but I was able to figure out the issue while only writing 1-2 lines of code total instead of writing all 17 lines manually.

There's an easy solution here from a pedagogic perspective: just have students actively prove they had learned the material instead of giving points for homework e.g. in-class tests/quizes, workshops, essays. I guess it's easier though to hand a kid a sheet of worksheet and say "go home and fill this out".

I don't see how bots could make schools any worse of a place to learn than they already are. They mostly operate as factories whose job is to produce an obedient workforce and stamp out intellectual curiosity at the earliest possible age.

People act like homework has any educational value. It's brute-force busywork that forms habits, not teaches.

It's not like the USA has a world-respected education system anyway. Maybe this will kick-start educators into re-thinking how we prepare future adults for the world.

It doesn't surprise me at all to see cheating increase now that we have a generation of kids that literally missed years of school due to Covid.

People act like homework has any educational value. It's brute-force busywork that forms habits, not teaches.

It's not like the USA has a world-respected education system anyway. Maybe this will kick-start educators into re-thinking how we prepare future adults for the world.

I usually like your posts but it definitely does have educational value. For the vast majority of people you need to learn the foundation before you go off being creative. Being able to add, subtract, ect quickly is important for example.

Once I got to high school I was able to get answers faster and easier than the methods they showed (which I could also do), but i would get penalized for being creative, so I get your comment but saying homework is useless is a bit drastic lol.

Like others said…. Generally what is on homework is on the test so you’re only screwing yourself.

Homework has a painful necessity.
Class teaches the abstract, homework is the practical application of the abstract, tests are the ability to apply the information under pressure. I would argue that tests are a less valuable metric for determining what has been learned than homework is.
Homework is more akin to a normal work environment than tests are.

Fml our kids are doomed lmao
scope this out: prett y impressive results

1670618814002.png
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1158

If that was the real problem then in all the non-union states you would see a big improvement.
And if you look at statistics from those locations it proves the opposite is true, unless you start looking at private schools which aren't unionized but also charge premiums and use smaller class sizes, and their abundant staffing for dealing with kids with additional needs for increased one on one as selling points. Things public schools are constantly fought on.

Meh, it's not a huge problem for math or programming-related disciplines. When I was in middle school onwards all of our textbooks all had answers in the back of the book anyways. The point was that if you cheated on the homework assignments you wouldn't understand what you're doing and would fail the next quiz/exam - it's a self-reinforcing philosophy and it will apply just the same even if AI bots can solve all of the questions for you. I mean, there were programs like Maple out there 20 years ago that could solve complex integrals and derivatives, it doesn't really help you in a math course unless you understand it on your own.

It's a similar situation with programming courses. The better assistant bots get at writing code, the better the plagiarism bots will get at detecting it.

The article is probably right that English and the softer-science and arts classes are the ones that will be most affected. I guess they will just have to start doing more in-class essays? Honestly, essay-writing was probably the least favorite activity of my academic life and so I probably won't be shedding a whole lot tears about the demise of the take-home research essay. My view is that kids should be taught how to use these AI bots to conduct research (Googling stuff will probably go the way of the Encyclopedia) and then have their writing skills tested in class somehow instead of at home.

MKBHD gave kind of a big overview of where we are with AI now. Including Dall E, but also AI possibly being able to replace creators (or not). Write scripts, homework, all that stuff.

The way they advertise Grammerly on youTube you'd basically think writing your own work was for losers at this point................

So...
As a joke, I told the Super about this and he offhandedly said something like "Oh well if it can do all that maybe it can rewrite all these policies here we have to update and can't agree on"
he meant it as a joke, I said F-That! and I did it.
I sent the Super one of the results, one that I know they have been struggling with.
They are currently really mad, but in an "I am so mad I can only laugh" way because the result is good, like really good and they have been struggling on it for weeks and held like 4 meetings on the subject and made 0 progress.
They asked how long it took and I said maybe 20 minutes if I include all the time it took to OCR the old PDFs (something they needed done anyways), the actual AI spit the result out in maybe 2 minutes.
They then had me submit it to HR so they can give it a fast review but outside generic things like [your company name here] the Super couldn't find anything they would want tweaked and it hit all the points they knew it needed to cover.

So Happy Friday!

Yeah, thats true.... except it isn't.

Developing a computational model that represents the various neural processes involved in asking a question is a complex task that would likely require a deep understanding of neuroscience and cognitive psychology. It would also require extensive data and computational resources to build and test the model.

At a high level, the process of asking a question likely involves several different cognitive processes, including:

1. Generating the question: This process involves activating the appropriate lexical and syntactic representations in the brain to formulate the question.
  2. Evaluating the question: Once the question has been generated, the brain must evaluate it to determine whether it is well-formed and makes sense in the current context.
  3. Retrieving relevant information: Asking a question often requires accessing stored information in memory, such as facts, concepts, and previous experiences.
  4. Monitoring the conversation: Asking a question also involves monitoring the conversation to ensure that the question is relevant and appropriate in the current context.
To develop a computational model of these processes, researchers would likely need to collect data on brain activity using neuroimaging techniques, such as fMRI or EEG, while people are asking questions. This data could then be used to train a machine learning model to simulate the neural processes involved in asking a question.

However, it is important to note that such a model would be very complex and would likely require a significant amount of data and computational resources to build and validate. It would also be a constantly evolving field of research, as our understanding of the brain and cognitive processes continues to improve.” — ChatGTP

And here I am asking it to write sprawling conspiracies about Olive Garden

And here I am asking it to write sprawling conspiracies about Olive Garden
I actually wrote a paper in HS about the Domino's Pizza owner who also owned Olive Garden at the time. For a Bussiness class...

So how does this differ from cheater sites like Chegg?

I saw one page of my final show up there in the middle of everything online pandemic one year, unfortunately beyond seeing my test there I don't know if they got "help" quickly enough to get it done (also have no idea who it was). The next year I changed things up by giving limited time on each problem instead of one 3 hour window to do the test, but other than that nothing I could really do. And sites like that absolutely know they're used for academic fraud I'm sure they have a huge spike in memberships right around finals week each semester.

Kids are going to find ways to cheat, either AI that does it for you or a wide attempt to have someone online do the work for you (million monkeys and all that rot). AI does all the homework? Well I hope the AI can do the tests too or all these C students who get an A on assignments they turned in but Ds and Fs on tests aren't going to go anywhere.

Reactions: erek
like this
Back