AHHHH!! what happened to my HSF???

kllrnohj

Supreme [H]ardness
ok, i am putting my comp back into the case (had it apart for modding) and when i took of the hsf (this thing, slk800, is HEAVY, no way im moving the mobo with this thing on), and when i looked at the base i saw this

Heat Sink Base.jpg

can anyone tell me what this is? it doesn't come off with water. the TIM i was using was AS3, and i never had this prob before......

any info would be great (i guess this is why my temps were a litlle warmer than they should have been)

P.S. I was planning on lapping it now anyway, you think that would get this crap off?

I'm thinking some sort of corrosion?? Does your chip appear to be ok??

Originally posted by JSClark
I'm thinking some sort of corrosion?? Does your chip appear to be ok??

not sure about being corrosion, but the chip is fine - its been working great

and it WAS NOT like this the first 5 times i put it on/took it off

Originally posted by freecableguy
ahhh...I see you are a Nanotherm PCM user....

no im not, didn't you read what i wrote? i said i used AS3, that is Arctic Silver 3 incase you didn't know

ewwww, that looks like rust!!

did u try 409?

no i didn't, but i am actually thinking this is some resudue from this copper cleaner my dad i had (i did follow the directions right, i thought) cause the last time i took it off some of the AS3 wouldn't come off all the way, and there was some dirt along the edges that didn't come off easily

so rather than use another chemical, would lapping it fix this?

I don't remember the base of the SLK-800 looking like that? :confused:

Acetone and alcohol usually do the trick for getting AS3 off for me. I bet some lapping wouldn't hurt in getting rid of that corrosion/rust (whatever it is).

first of all, that is NTO a slk-800, thats a SK-7...second...are u SURE u used AS3? nanother pcm does taht EXACT thing..did utouch the base excesivley or live in a high humidity area? use rubbing alcohol, dont touch base so much and that is a sk-7, not slk-800..i can 10000000000000000000% garuntee it

It's just a thin layer of corrosion- copper oxide. Washing it with water will probably only make it worse. You can scrub it with some copper cookware cleaner and it wil be nice and shiny again. Or just leave it, it probably makes no difference in temps as it's really a very thin layer.

Like was said above that is a SK-7 not a slk800. I have the very same heatsink on my PC right now.
I would say that what you are seeing is where you have touched the copper and not cleaned it off. You body oils will do that to copper as in the oil it has some acid in it. It is called oxidation just about the same thing as rust or that white stuff you see on aluminum. You should be able to clean it off with some sort of copper cleaner. Just make sure you wash your hands real well before you pick it up from now on and try not to touch it much.

The SK-7 is a very good heatsink. For the price I do not think you will get anything better. It will run real close to a sk800 in temps with the same fans and all. Sure it will be just a few C warmer but still it is a great heat sink.

Originally posted by boardsportsrule
first of all, that is NTO a slk-800, thats a SK-7...second...are u SURE u used AS3? nanother pcm does taht EXACT thing..did utouch the base excesivley or live in a high humidity area? use rubbing alcohol, dont touch base so much and that is a sk-7, not slk-800..i can 10000000000000000000% garuntee it

oops, typo, it is a sk-7 (i always mix the two i got up, they are close in terms of size/weight)

but yes, i am sure, it is AS3, that is all i use

Like was said above that is a SK-7 not a slk800. I have the very same heatsink on my PC right now.
I would say that what you are seeing is where you have touched the copper and not cleaned it off. You body oils will do that to copper as in the oil it has some acid in it. It is called oxidation just about the same thing as rust or that white stuff you see on aluminum. You should be able to clean it off with some sort of copper cleaner. Just make sure you wash your hands real well before you pick it up from now on and try not to touch it much.

ok, so should i clean this off before lapping? or will it matter?

off-topic: believe it or not Wal-Mart is a great place to get 400/800/1000/2000grit sandpaper (a pack of each under $15 total) - it is in the automotive section if ya care

It should come off just fine while you lap it. Post when you do lap it and let us know if it helps your temps any. I have also been thinking of lapping mine as you can see some marks on there. I would not worry about getting it to good but the way they come they should be lapped I feel to get the best out of them. Even if just a little to knock off the biggest things.

Thats the way copper says "STOP TOUCHING ME".

Its just how copper oxidizes. How long has it been since the last time you looked at it?

For starters, you should NOT use copper cleaner on that heatsink !
It leaves a residue that can and will effect the heat transfer of that heatsink !
Lap it and use alcohol to clean it, and the world will be right again ! :) !

ok, lapping all done, and the temps are coming

first, know this: original temps with tornado @ 12v, no case (sitting on table)

second, in case, i have 120mm fan at front (~90cfm), smart fan 2 at back (~50cfm, lowered it), on side window above hsf is 3led fan (~30cfm) and tornado @ 7v on hs, and a small 60mm stock AMD fan behind the socket

third, lapping didn't go as good as hoped, had a slight concave (i think - center higher than outer) so the middle didn't get QUITE as good a lapping, still good tho

Ok, here are the temps, first load was 38c (not bad, sys/oc in sig) after, 33C load (w00t, cooler and quieter, win win if you ask me)

finally, just so you all know, i used copper cleaner before lapping, cleaned it good, but nothing cept water afterwards

and for the person that asked how long since i looked at hsf, it was about 3-4weeks ago

btw, this time i didn't spread AS3 with my fingure

omg dude
lol
i figured you did somthing stupid to your machine
oh well get it fixed
and lapping is not to hard just try again and make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME
take a good 30 min on it
and go slow about it
not to slow where it will take you 38217452384 years to get it done
hehe
just take your time lapping takes a bit of pateints
and so does spelling
lol

Originally posted by kllrnohj
finally, just so you all know, i used copper cleaner before lapping, cleaned it good, but nothing cept water afterwards
Was it just me or did a lot of people just get done telling you not to use water or the copper cleaner anymore...?

Originally posted by Pipo
Was it just me or did a lot of people just get done telling you not to use water or the copper cleaner anymore...?

you have to use water during lapping or the sand paper will gouge the copper and the finish isnt as fine... as long as he dries it off right away all is good

thore

Originally posted by thore
you have to use water during lapping or the sand paper will gouge the copper and the finish isnt as fine... as long as he dries it off right away all is good

thore

yeah, thats what i did/meant....... made sure to use a soft cloth to dry it off afterward tho

omg dude
lol
i figured you did somthing stupid to your machine
oh well get it fixed
and lapping is not to hard just try again and make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME
take a good 30 min on it
and go slow about it
not to slow where it will take you 38217452384 years to get it done
hehe
just take your time lapping takes a bit of pateints
and so does spelling
lol

guess you didn't read the whole post, or you woulda seen the results were a decrees in temps of 3-4C under load........... and it took me about 1hr to lap it (400-800-1000-2000grit was the order i weant, didn't have any 600grit)

Not concave, it's convex. Take it off again using a piece of picture glass to lay the sandpaper on grit face up with some water drops on the sandpaper. Start with 220 grit to get the convex out. Then 400 until surface is uniform then 600 grit still sprinkling water drops on the sandpaper to act as a lubricant. Some would tell you to continue with finer paper but actually this is good enough. Then take either rubbing alcohol or acetone and clean thoroughly. Apply the HS compound of your preference and you'll be a happy AMD owner!

Originally posted by md262626
Not concave, it's convex. Take it off again using a piece of picture glass to lay the sandpaper on grit face up with some water drops on the sandpaper. Start with 220 grit to get the convex out. Then 400 until surface is uniform then 600 grit still sprinkling water drops on the sandpaper to act as a lubricant. Some would tell you to continue with finer paper but actually this is good enough. Then take either rubbing alcohol or acetone and clean thoroughly. Apply the HS compound of your preference and you'll be a happy AMD owner!

i would, but im lazy and probably won't, at least until the next time i have to take it off, the reason being is that temps were lower even tho i switched from a 12v tornado to the 7v mod tornado......

as for convex or concave, i guessed, hence the short description of what i meant

Back