Ahhh Finally Cold Temperatures on my CPU!

peanutskeeter

Limp Gawd
I have been working and working on getting these temperatures down below zero and finally did it! Now to let the overclocking begin :cool:

temperatures081310.jpg

That's pretty crazy, I'd love to know what you're using, peltiers? refrigeration?

Though I dont think the thermal sensors on the CPU would be accurate at those temperatures ;)

TEC Cooling right there. I love the concept of TEC cooling because it is cheap yet pretty practical for the most part. Only thing I'm not liking about it so far is the range of temperatures varies big time. I go from idle at 0 degrees to under stress at 40 degrees in about 3 seconds. I'm sure it will be an ongoing project to get it tweaked exactly where i want it.

That thing in going to take a giant shit at load. Don't take my word for it. Try and see. You'll probably need two of them on on large block to accomplish anything worth while. You can build a pretty simple PWM controller for your TEC using a MIC502 Fan PWM IC and a few ancillary parts.

As you have already found out, it's not how much heat a TEC can move. It's how much it can move at delta T that matters. You will have to use multiple TECs. You would be better off making a TEC water cooler, where you can use a large number of them together to raise COP.

That thing in going to take a giant shit at load. Don't take my word for it. Try and see. You'll probably need two of them on on large block to accomplish anything worth while. You can build a pretty simple PWM controller for your TEC using a MIC502 Fan PWM IC and a few ancillary parts.

As you have already found out, it's not how much heat a TEC can move. It's how much it can move at delta T that matters. You will have to use multiple TECs. You would be better off making a TEC water cooler, where you can use a large number of them together to raise COP.

What do you mean take a giant shit? lol What I've accomplished right now is worth my while to be honest. I am gettin sub-zero temps on idle and 30-40 under 100% stress. That's all I was really out to accomplish. As far as PWM adjusting, my voltage adjusting is really all I need which ranges from 11-13. This isn't a large scale TEC system I've got. I mean I have a dinky pelt on my CPU, that's it. Do you have a TEC system?? If so can I see it?

I think he means that you have to be very careful with TEC's because you have to be able to cool the hot side very well under load. If you start pumping a lot of heat into the cold side then you could get flipping, where the cold-side becomes the hot side and basically cooks your CPU before your eyes. Thats why TEC's aren't popular choices anymore; start really pushing the OC'ing with modern procs and the wattage output very quickly exceeds the ability of a single TEC, so you have to start sandwiching TEC's on top of each other. its all about the ability of the TEC to move heat across when the load starts going up

Whereas he did take a giant shit in your thread. he did have a point and answered two of my questions that ive been pondering.

Firstoff i was wondering why people even bother with TEC chillers when you can just put the tec directly onto the die of the CPU (coldplate hotplates ofc). Secondly i was wondering how hard would it be to DIY a coolit boreas.. Looks like both of my questions have been answered :)

Gratz regardless. put up some pics!

a good water system will be able to do 40C under load, while not having the liability of the TEC possibly dying and almost instantly frying the CPU, while consuming much less power and keeping a much more stable temperature. idle temps are useful only for screen shots.

TECs are good when used several in parallel to cool a water loop. the problem is that modern CPUs produce more heat per square inch than any other electronic device on the planet. TECs have not kept pace in cooling ability.

Back