AHHAAHAAHAH, this must be a joke?!? No.... :-/

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I was browsing some e-tailers to see the prices of actual graphic card... This is unbelievable? Have you seen those prices? Look at this :

Asus® Extreme EN6800 Ultra/2DT - GeForce™ 6800 GPU w/256Mb DDR & PCI Express x16 Retail Box

Price : 899.99$CAN (728.54US$)

Common! 900$ for a video card! Shit, I think I will leave the hardware scene. This is obsene to hijack people with prices like this. I remember to have paid 450$ for my GF2 GTS in its days and this was the most expensive video card at that time. Now, 5 or so years later, we have to pay twice for those high end card. Where are we going? What will we have to pay for great graphic card? Each new generation, in 6 months cycle, surpasses the "older" one. Since the older graphic card has not enough time to drop in price and since it is surpassed with something better by then, well, they have no choice to ask more for "new" technology.. I think ATi and nvidia should slow down the pace and get back to 1 year cycle tech. Anyway, from the recent stories, I think that they cannot keep the pace. They are announcing new products that are available in quantities only a couple of months later. Just look at the X800 XT PE... Or the X800 XL.. The later one was supposed to be available in large quantities for christmas if I remember correctly. Try to buy one now...

I think that the competition that goes in the graphic industry is just worthless. We should pay far less for just a graphic card.. Plus, it is very frustrating when you get the fastest one for a premium price that is just surpassed only 5 or 6 months later.

/RANT END. :(

thats the price you pay for the best of the best. that doesnt mean its right though. I wouldnt pay that much even if I had the money. its a bad investment just to say you got all the good stuff.

fliphkd said:
its ok i found it 50$ cheaper right here

Whew! 50 bucks less. Let's see if I can mortgage my house to buy one :rolleyes: Will futureshop and the likes start loaning graphic card in 24 or 36 payments? That way, it would be easier for us to buy one and keep our PC up to date.

Seriously, we NEED a price war! Why AMD and Intel has fought for prices while ATi and nvidia did not? We should stop asking and buying those over exagerated inflated priced video card. Maybe will they understand. Ah, I still believe to Santa :rolleyes:

Para

Well, nvidia has been on a six month cycle for a while now. Only with the last generation have they fallen down a bit.

Everyone Boycott Graphics Card Companies!

So it will be easier for me to find an x800xl ;)

PCIe Cards are very expensive right now. On the other hand the well known AGP bus Cards are at resonable prices (not all the time). My X800XT was only 450$! My brothers AGP X800Pro (Vivo) was 375$! I wouldnt just assume that all cards are reaching the 800$ Price point yet my friend. :)

hehe i tried to find a x800xt pe for my friend here in quebec... it was a really pain to find one ;/

Parabellum said:
Well, I was browsing some e-tailers to see the prices of actual graphic card... This is unbelievable? Have you seen those prices? Look at this :

Asus® Extreme EN6800 Ultra/2DT - GeForce™ 6800 GPU w/256Mb DDR & PCI Express x16 Retail Box

Common! 900$ for a video card! Shit, I think I will leave the hardware scene. This is obsene to hijack people with prices like this. I remember to have paid 450$ for my GF2 GTS in its days and this was the most expensive video card at that time. Now, 5 or so years later, we have to pay twice for those high end card. Where are we going? What will we have to pay for great graphic card? Each new generation, in 6 months cycle, surpasses the "older" one. Since the older graphic card has not enough time to drop in price and since it is surpassed with something better by then, well, they have no choice to ask more for "new" technology.. I think ATi and nvidia should slow down the pace and get back to 1 year cycle tech. Anyway, from the recent stories, I think that they cannot keep the pace. They are announcing new products that are available in quantities only a couple of months later. Just look at the X800 XT PE... Or the X800 XL.. The later one was supposed to be available in large quantities for christmas if I remember correctly. Try to buy one now...

I think that the competition that goes in the graphic industry is just worthless. We should pay far less for just a graphic card.. Plus, it is very frustrating when you get the fastest one for a premium price that is just surpassed only 5 or 6 months later.

Meh, I paid 799.20 US$ a piece for each for my cards, which are those cards exactly btw. It's the price you pay for brand new top of the line.

Parabellum said:

Different people have different hobbies. I have a feeling that many of the people here have a computer hobby. As the saying goes... "the difference between the men and boys....".

Major_A said:
Different people have different hobbies. I have a feeling that many of the people here have a computer hobby. As the saying goes... "the difference between the men and boys....".

Umm.. you do know that you don't have to have the best of the best to play, right? I play with a guy that is using (my-x) 1700+ CPU and and GF-MX440 on CS:S (Counterstrike source) and Joint Operations. That card is worth his entire system (and damn near mine!!!).

So... don't buy it.

Wait six months and you can buy it for 50% of what it costs now.

What is the big deal? You don't have to be bleeeding edge.

-Skystalker

yep, it's always like this. Wait a few months and it will be half of the price that is now. But then you come to think ... in those months other products will appear, and you'll want those, so you'll have to wait for them as well, and so on ...
It's a vicious circle, from which we cannot escape.
Though, you have to be crazy to give those money for a video card, when you can get a decent card (6600GT or a 6800) for way more less.
Anyway, after all, you decide for yourself ;)

It's always funny when your CPU ends up costing less than your video card. Sadly, I've succumbed to that being an actual owner of the rare eVGA 6800 Ultra Extremes.

On the other hand I got my AMD 64 3200+ and a mobo for about 199 bucks after 100 bucks in a mail in rebate(was an AMD promo).

Harkamus said:
It's always funny when your CPU ends up costing less than your video card. Sadly, I've succumbed to that being an actual owner of the rare eVGA 6800 Ultra Extremes.

On the other hand I got my AMD 64 3200+ and a mobo for about 199 bucks after 100 bucks in a mail in rebate(was an AMD promo).

its not so funny when you compare the transistor count of a cpu (100 million+) and a gpu (200+ million)

Skystalker said:

-Skystalker

Wrong. How much are the AGP 6800GT's, and 6800U's right now? AGP X800 Pro's, X800XT/PE's? Hardly 50% of what they were when they first came out. And its been well over 6 months.

You want the latest and greatest then it's going to cost ya. I won't spend over $200 and I upgrade about every 2 years, I can still play all the most recent games at very good settings and frame rates.

Hardly 50% of what they were when they first came out. And its been well over 6 months.

He said to wait another 6 months. Not six months from when they came out.

I dont think so, he called it "bleeding edge", and not "another" 6 months. Either way, it still wont be 50% of what it is now, in 6 months. So its wrong either way.

Skystalker said:
Umm.. you do know that you don't have to have the best of the best to play, right? I play with a guy that is using (my-x) 1700+ CPU and and GF-MX440 on CS:S (Counterstrike source) and Joint Operations. That card is worth his entire system (and damn near mine!!!).

So... don't buy it.

-Skystalker
You do know what a hobby is correct?

Get over it.

Just because some overpriced $800 is on the market does not make the $200 cards any less impressive nor does it make last generation's $400 any slower than they are. Game developers realize that they should target their games at lower-end cards (a 9600 can play most anything on the market acceptably) if they actually want to sell units.

It's not like anyone's being forced to buy ridiculously expensive hardware just to 'keep up' - does Ferarri making cars or Guicci making pants somehow mean the automobile & clothing industries are completely fucked?

The point is that a GF2 GTS was costing 450$ five years ago and it was high end. Now, five years later, we have to pay twice that amount. If we keep that into account, what is it going to cost us in 3 or 4 years? 1200$. Ok, I understand that you get what you pay for and buying it if you have cash. But is there a limit to this?

Para

The limit is when people stop buying the high end cards. When there are willing buyers then they will continue to escalate the cards. Processors are the same way, who really needs a
P4ee or a FX-55 at the prices they are bringing. Just because some won't pay the high price doesn't mean that there's not many more with plenty of funds.

fallguy said:
Wrong. How much are the AGP 6800GT's, and 6800U's right now? AGP X800 Pro's, X800XT/PE's? Hardly 50% of what they were when they first came out. And its been well over 6 months.

Okay, I stand corrected. The concept though, is sound. YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THE BLEEDING EDGE GAME.

And, as far as the pricing goes... video cards seem to hold their value longer because it takes soo long to get sufficient volumes of the higher end ones into consumer's hands.

So I will revise my statement to read "12 to 18 months".

LOL

-Skystalker

Skystalker said:
Okay, I stand corrected. The concept though, is sound. YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY THE BLEEDING EDGE GAME.
You don't HAVE to do alot of things. You do it because you CAN and WANT to.

Parabellum said:
The point is that a GF2 GTS was costing 450$ five years ago and it was high end. Now, five years later, we have to pay twice that amount. If we keep that into account, what is it going to cost us in 3 or 4 years? 1200$. Ok, I understand that you get what you pay for and buying it if you have cash. But is there a limit to this?

The one thing you neglect is that the GF2 GTS filled the spot in the line-up that the GF6800 GT takes (eventually, they ramped up clocks further). The only thing that's changed is that they added a 'super premium' card to the initial launch, where 5yr ago, you would've been forced to overclock to get the extra performance.

As everyone says, it's like the A64 FX and P4 EE series - there's a market where people (who would never overclock) are willing to pay a massive premium to have something that's a bit faster out of the box than the 'normal' top of the line product.

{NG}Fidel said:
PCIe Cards are very expensive right now. On the other hand the well known AGP bus Cards are at resonable prices (not all the time). My X800XT was only 450$! My brothers AGP X800Pro (Vivo) was 375$! I wouldnt just assume that all cards are reaching the 800$ Price point yet my friend. :)

Are you talking US or Canadian dollar?

Personally I wouldnt pay over MSRP for a graphics card.. .and I'm an avid gamer both of FPS and MMOG type games.

If your patient and jump on preorder deals you can do ok.. but it does seem to be getting more and more out of hand with each launch.

I got my ATI X800XT:pE at launch by preordering from Compusa immediatly the day the deal hit with the coupon.

I got 3 6800GT's and 2 6800's (all AGP) all well under MSRP.

I find zero need to pay a premium for PCIe videocards right now.

I'd build an AMD AGP system even if I was building a brand new system.

My Dual Opterons and FX-53 AGP systems are plenty fast...and I dont really see the performance increases from an SLI system right now.

But I wouldnt knock anyone for spending the money if they felt like it.. its their money more power to them.

TheGameguru said:
I'd build an AMD AGP system even if I was building a brand new system.

I don't want to pay the pci-e premium either, but I'm about to upgrade and was about to buy the Neo2 Platinum and then the Neo4 was released with all sorts of goodies...I can't pass that up.

I tried to buy a Gainward CoolFX 6800U on Ebay from a vendor for $700, to me it was no joke. I wanted that card BAD, won the bidding, and he told me the least he'd take was $800 shipped. That was weeks ago, still there last I checked. Guess he should have taken my money.

Shroomie said:
You don't HAVE to do alot of things. You do it because you CAN and WANT to.

Isn't the point of the thread the fact that someone is outraged by the price of bleeding edge hardware?

If someone has the financial ability, and wants to do it, be my guest! Thats what pushes this industry forward. My only point is that you don't have to have the "latest and greatest" to have a good gaming experience.

So if you CAN and WANT to.... please do!

-Skystalker

Back