AHCI HD reinstalled as IDE after BIOS reset

neural0

Limp Gawd
So I have a VelociRaptor 300gb that I installed as AHCI in Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. I used the rig for several months and the drive ran wonderfully. Then one day I was tweaking my overclocked CPU and the computer reset the BIOS to defaults because the overclock failed. BEing retarded and not thinking, I let the computer boot into Win7 AFTER realizing that the hard drive channels would be reset to IDE mode and not AHCI...

After the computer rebooted (after it 'found new drives'), I changed the BIOS settings back to AHCI. No BSOD's or any other critical problems, just the fact that there is a noticeable speed decrease now (BC2 levels used to load in about a third of the time it takes now, I know this for a fact).

Any suggestions for getting back my speed? Please let me know what other info I might need to provide

might be placebo, honestly. Even if you don't think so, it could be something else causing the slow loading.

If both the IDE and AHCI drivers are installed, you can switch between them without issue.

I thought it was at first also, then I noticed that when a level is loading in BC2 there is music that plays and after awhile the music loops. It would never load long enough to loop before this driver problem happened... I may just have to reinstall win :-(

No one else has gone through something similar?

Aw man, I had a similar sort of issue when switching from raid to AHCI to add an SSD. What I ended up having to do to get the full AHCI speed was change some registry setting to let Windows know I was't on raid or IDE. I forget which one it was exactly but I changed the setting, rebooted and bam my speeds were as they were before. I'll try to find the registry setting and report back.

heres a topic on it

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/17876-enable-ahci-windows-7-a.html

Sounds like what I had to do - except I had zero problems unlike some of the guys there. When I changed the registry key, I rebooted and everything was golden. No problems whatsoever. perhaps that will steer you in the right direction.

Thanks a ton, i will try this as soon as I get home from work. Glad to hear that someone else ran into this problem and figured it out.

No problem! I was extremely relieved to find that I didn't have to reinstall Windows again when I went through this. Some people have had to reinstall to get running smoothly again, though, I do know that. I hope it works out for you like it did for me, though! Let us know how it goes :)

Back