AGP Video Card Died, Need New One.

SquallRealm

Limp Gawd
I have an Nvidia 6600 GT, AGP.
Long story short, I've had this computer & video card for about 5 years.
I'm not a heavy gamer, anymore, and play older games. (BF2, HL2, lockon)

Anyways, about a month ago, fan started making all kinda strange noise, but was still working. Few days ago, artifacts started popping up. Video card was not overclocked, and the temperature was 42 idle, 60s when playing games.

I plan to re-apply thermal compound to save it, but I fear its doomed :(.

So here is my dilemma: everyone has the PCI-E now, and AGP is close to being dead.
I am in economic trouble(like many these days) and don't want to really upgrade my PC, even though its cheaper to do now-a-days.

What are some AGP video cards, do you guys suggest? :)

ATI 4670 new for around 100 bucks. will be an upgrade to your current card but will be cpu bottlenecked. you can always upgrade your processor for really cheap later though, I upgraded mine from 2.8 to 3.2 last year and saw a huge differance for $30 shipped here on the forums. I spent over $250 for my gpu when it came out so the 4670 is a good deal and will extend the life of your rig.

AGP is not dead yet? :D You can still find some AGP cards that are decent.

You can pick up an ATI 4670 AGP for around $120 online.

3870 agp is probably the fastest its gonna get. You can find those on ebay.

You know, Im at a crossroad here. The cards you guys recommend, I might as well pay 100$ more and get a new computer entirely with a video card.

I have a lot to think about. I see older posts with same problem as mine, and people just upgraded to dual core pci-e.

You could also watch the FS/FT forums for a used AGP card.. I actually would have a 6600GT AGP to sell if I ever motivate myself to swap out mobo/gpu in this other PC :)

You know, Im at a crossroad here. The cards you guys recommend, I might as well pay 100$ more and get a new computer entirely with a video card.

I have a lot to think about. I see older posts with same problem as mine, and people just upgraded to dual core pci-e.

The problem is, we are at a point where agp cards are getting quite rare. They in turn, jack up to price for those like yourself who haven't upgraded to PCIe. The problem is, you are going to end up spending twice as much for the agp card for half the performance. If you can manage it, it might be time to upgrade your motherboard so that you can go with a much cheaper, much faster, PCIe solution

So $100 for a video card for your existing system, or pay $200 for a video card + buy a new PC, are your two choices?

I actually have an X850pro flashed to an X850XT. I used it in my system until I got the 3850 just because I needed SM 3.0 to run bioshock and crysis came out. Its a good card, PM me if your interested.

So $100 for a video card for your existing system, or pay $200 for a video card + buy a new PC, are your two choices?

If 6600GT performance covers his needs he can easily get by with onboard video from motherboard with a 785G chipset. Can pick up a micro-ATX for probably $60, grab an Athlon II 250 for $65, skip the video card. Not sure if he's on DDR ram but if he is he'd have to get new ram, 2GB sounds pleny for his needs, so another $50 and hopefully would be set.. $175 all said and done.

You're right noquarter, thanks.

After heavy debate, and couch digging, I think a $300 PC would be a good investment. It'll serve my purposes for sure.
I'm off to the General H, to figure things out.
Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Just get a used one off the forum..... I just sold my 7800GS for $40 shipped a few days ago.

You're right noquarter, thanks.

After heavy debate, and couch digging, I think a $300 PC would be a good investment. It'll serve my purposes for sure.
I'm off to the General H, to figure things out.
Thanks for all the help from everyone.

I think you've made the right choice. You can get dual core cpus on the cheap now. And AGP is really more expensive than the performance you get because it's a legacy part, thus JACKED prices for underperforming tech.

Back