AGP or pci express 16x videocard?

onetouch40

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, i't sbeen awhile since I'm upgrade my desktop. I think I'm a lilttle behind in the videocard field at this point. I'm planning to pruchase a new desktop. What is the difference between AGP slot and pci express 16x slot other than compatible issue? Also, what graphic card would be good enough in the $100 range? Thank you!

onetouch40 said:
lol, any other reason?

Well he basically summed it up. AGP cards are hardly being produced anymore. In the new gen of cards, only cards you can get in AGP is the 7800GS and X1600Pro. PCI Express is the new video card slot, and it seems like you want a 100 dollar card. I know in a year or so you are going to be wanting to upgrade that and PCI Express by then will be your only choices basically. You can get a 6600GT for about 100 dollars now. Still a pretty decent card.

If he upgrades to PCI-E he'll also have to upgrade his motherboard, his processor, and possibly his memory. Sounds like buying a new computer...

First of all let me just say that the PCI-E isn't better than AGP. It's just that PCI-E is cheaper because they stopped making most AGP cards.

The reason for the upgrade to PCI-E was for future cards or possibly the super high end cards of today. From what i've heard most cards don't even utilize all of AGP's 8x

Buy a 7800GS which is the best AGP card you can buy, should last you 2 years, then you can get a new system.

Lazy_Moron said:
Well he basically summed it up. AGP cards are hardly being produced anymore. In the new gen of cards, only cards you can get in AGP is the 7800GS and X1600Pro. PCI Express is the new video card slot, and it seems like you want a 100 dollar card. I know in a year or so you are going to be wanting to upgrade that and PCI Express by then will be your only choices basically. You can get a 6600GT for about 100 dollars now. Still a pretty decent card.
that basicallysums it up also ;)

Whipsmack said:
If he upgrades to PCI-E he'll also have to upgrade his motherboard, his processor, and possibly his memory. Sounds like buying a new computer...

First of all let me just say that the PCI-E isn't better than AGP. It's just that PCI-E is cheaper because they stopped making most AGP cards.

The reason for the upgrade to PCI-E was for future cards or possibly the super high end cards of today. From what i've heard most cards don't even utilize all of AGP's 8x

Buy a 7800GS which is the best AGP card you can buy, should last you 2 years, then you can get a new system.
I see about....1 Million lies in there!

PCI-E IS better than AGP. For these reasons:
Future proof (100mhz over 66)
SLi
Cross Fire
More Cards

Hell go spend $300 on a 7800GS. Or you can spend $210 on a used 7800GT, and the other $100 on a nice motherboard ;)

If you are buying a new system then PCI-e is really the only good option. Although it is true that many cards are not ready to take full advantage of all the bandwidth, SLI and crossfire are great options, and quite simply most card markers stopped making AGP.

He said he's buying a new desktop, not just upgrading his card. He doesn't even say what he currently has.

If you are getting a new computer, it would be silly to get anything other than PCI-express. No reason buying already outdated technology, i.e. AGP. I'm still on AGP, but that's because I have to upgrade part by part. So definitely go with PCIe if you can.

For around $100 on the graphics card, an nVidia 6600GT is the lowest you should go on nVidia's side. An ATI x800GTO should be the lowest on ATI's side.

bLaCktIGErs91 said:
I see about....1 Million lies in there!

PCI-E IS better than AGP. For these reasons:
Future proof (100mhz over 66)
SLi
Cross Fire
More Cards

Hell go spend $300 on a 7800GS. Or you can spend $210 on a used 7800GT, and the other $100 on a nice motherboard ;)
the actual preformance difference between AGP and PCIe is negligable, and i'm pretty sure thats what he was referring too. The only reason PCIe is is the way you want to go is for the reasons you have stated, better card support.

ignitionxvi said:
the actual preformance difference between AGP and PCIe is negligable, and i'm pretty sure thats what he was referring too. The only reason PCIe is is the way you want to go is for the reasons you have stated, better card support.

For future cards that will bottleneck at AGP's bandwith, PCI-E is the way to go.

like everyones been saying.. dont upgrade to outdated hardware....

if you go PCI-e ill sell you a X600XT for 70 shipped

well i know with agp back when i had it my video cards never seamed to last more then 6 months but with pci express, not only is the performance incredible but my 7800gtx has run flawsley ever since the day they released it and i bought one (pisses me of there cheap now and that i could alomst buy 2 now for what i payed for one back then, but hey thats technology for ya)

Whipsmack said:

Hold on there, what CPU is he running in the first place, i would recommend a 7800GS if he is running a 2.4 northwood or something similar to that.

Both the graphics card (especially for the low price) and computer look pretty good to me. Good luck with it One.

Good choice with the pci-express computer.. agp isn't quite dead yet, but why pay for something that you are going ot have to upgrade soon anyways?

Their gonna start producing AGP-E then PCI-E will be the thing in the past... :eek:

Champ said:
Their gonna start producing AGP-E then PCI-E will be the thing in the past... :eek:
OMFG.. AGP-E is just horrible... please review what you have just sayed.. and search for what AGP-E is.. and come back and tell me what you think about it... please

Warrior said:
OMFG.. AGP-E is just horrible... please review what you have just sayed.. and search for what AGP-E is.. and come back and tell me what you think about it... please

I think he was trying to be "smart" and say that because there is a pci-e that there would be an agp-e video card in the future

the agp-e standard for those of you that don't wish to have to go research it refers to a motherboard that has an agp slot and a x16 pci-e slot. As far as I've heard though most to all of the pci-e motherboards fall short on supporting agp and are basicly a expensive paperweight.

I'm personally not going pci-e until my agp vid card dies and there is no other agp cards being sold. I don't see the need to go pci-e unless your a gamer. I'm dropping out of game play myself as it's to expensive to upgrade every other year to run the latest games.

darkmyth said:
I think he was trying to be "smart" and say that because there is a pci-e that there would be an agp-e video card in the future

the agp-e standard for those of you that don't wish to have to go research it refers to a motherboard that has an agp slot and a x16 pci-e slot. As far as I've heard though most to all of the pci-e motherboards fall short on supporting agp and are basicly a expensive paperweight.

I'm personally not going pci-e until my agp vid card dies and there is no other agp cards being sold. I don't see the need to go pci-e unless your a gamer. I'm dropping out of game play myself as it's to expensive to upgrade every other year to run the latest games.
Before you go on, AGP-E is two PCI slots, NOT a true AGP slot ;)

exactly my point.. someone did their research :p

AGP-E is a crock and should be avoided at ALL costs (even low)

Warrior said:
exactly my point.. someone did their research :p

AGP-E is a crock and should be avoided at ALL costs (even low)

I was just making the point that he was mostlikely just trying to say that pci was outdated by agp and then pci-e outdated agp so then there would be an agp-e vid card standard.

Back