AGP Graphics Card Failing...

Temperfied

Limp Gawd
Ok, I have a customer with an AGP Graphics solution that is failing. They brought me an 8400GS (PCI) 512MB Graphics solution that is brand new. I removed the AGP Card and installed the PCI Card, after switching it to PCI in the Bios. I proceeded to get no video. I cleared the CMOS, and still no video.

Old Card: Nvidia FX5500 (256MB) AGP
New Card: Nvidia 8400GS (512MB) PCI
Power Supply: 400W Generic PSU
Motherboard: Asus P4S800

Any suggestions?

Trash it?

That's my honest suggestion, and advice I give to my roommate every time I see him trying to play L4D on his 8400gs PCI.

His no video complaint vs "no video in windows" would imply that he's not even getting the BIOS post screen. Windows drivers have nothing to do with that.

PCI video card expertise is not strong around here. It's been 10 years since this was the case.

Possibly helpful - one can still get a Radeon 2400 pro AGP for $50 or a Radeon 3850 AGP for $100.

How clean is/was the PCI slot? I'm guessing this is a pretty old PC, most of those I've seen aren't the cleanest specimens, might just not be making good contact.

While I'm at it I have an ATI x1600 pro (i think thats what it is) if you want it. PM me and I'll dig it up and verify what it is. I also have an AGP all in wonder card with various TV outs.

I'll never ever use them.

do old boards like that have a bios selection for booting from AGP, onboard video or PCI? Not sure but I figure i throw that out there.

Yes, all BIOS options are still there. But add me to the trash-it column. P4S800 used a single-channel SiS chipset, meaning it wasn't a high-end computer when it was new. Hell, a dual-core Atom would give you pretty comparable performance in all things that aren't video. May as well just upgrade to a whole new computer- even a lowly Celeron would run circles around it now, and I don't mean the dual-core kind that are actually half-decent.

Back