AGP club

Status
Not open for further replies.
no.

1. You're correct in assessing that the 7 series of nvidia cards won't have DX10 because the technology simply isn't there much like the X1000 series won't either.
2. You'll only benefit from a larger MB on the video card if you increase the resolution or use a game that can take advantage of the extra memory. The aperture value in the bios from what I recall just sets the allocation of video memory in the system memory through the AGP bus. This was the main feature of AGP but it never really took off because the system memory is far slower than the graphics memory.

what he said :p

GeForce 5900nu OC'd to 5950 speeds since day one in my old backup rig, still runs great. I was thinking of throwing a 7800GS or a X1950XT in there.

x1950xt agp now, was an x800pro.

How do you like your card? Any problems?

I have an X1950pro 256m and I really like it.. my wife has an older AGP machine that we're thinking about upgrading, and I am interested in this card, but haven't really heard much about it... Any input would be appreciated...

I just upgraded two friends computers with my old parts for some hugely discounted prices for them; both going from AGP to *gasp* PCI-Express; and well, now they're both doing Dual-Core and DDR2 now too, so it was a HUGE step up for them and they're confused why it took them so long to upgrade.

going from AGP to *gasp* PCI-Express; and well, now they're both doing Dual-Core and DDR2 now too, so it was a HUGE step up for them and they're confused why it took them so long to upgrade.

Umph... here we go again.

Hi.

I am the Ambassador of Good Will for the AGP Club. Therefore it is my responsibility to explain, again, that this thread is not about why PCIe is better than AGP, or about how your friends like it better, or why we should all just ditch our AGP systems and rush out and buy all new gear because it's a HUGE step up.

This thread is for those of us that actually like our AGP systems. It's one thread on a HUGE board... so please, leave it alone. If you want to discuss the differences between AGP and PCIe, that's fine, but go start your own thread, and I'm sure that some of us would be happy to discuss the benefits of both.. But, like I said this thread, and the 280 or so posts in it are for those of us old timers that refuse to "upgrade".. at least not just yet.

Thank you, and I hope I didn't come across as rude, it was not my intention to do so....

Oh, and out of curiosity, is that 7800GTX of yours an AGP card;)

Umph... here we go again.

Hi.

I am the Ambassador of Good Will for the AGP Club. Therefore it is my responsibility to explain, again, that this thread is not about why PCIe is better than AGP, or about how your friends like it better, or why we should all just ditch our AGP systems and rush out and buy all new gear because it's a HUGE step up.

This thread is for those of us that actually like our AGP systems. It's one thread on a HUGE board... so please, leave it alone. If you want to discuss the differences between AGP and PCIe, that's fine, but go start your own thread, and I'm sure that some of us would be happy to discuss the benefits of both.. But, like I said this thread, and the 280 or so posts in it are for those of us old timers that refuse to "upgrade".. at least not just yet.

Thank you, and I hope I didn't come across as rude, it was not my intention to do so....

Oh, and out of curiosity, is that 7800GTX of yours an AGP card;)

Oh I wasn't trying to like.. bash on AGP...

And no my 7800GTX OC is a PCI-E card and it's on it's 3rd freaking RMA.

I remember getting my TI4600 with freakin AGP 8X! man that was awesome...

My 5900U 256MB replaced that later on too; and then I skipped the 6 series and pulled a huge overhall into an X2 939 system.

The current AGP offerings are awesome cards; the X1950 is awesome AGP or not, and there's not even really a way these cards can saturate the AGP bus even anyway so there's no reason to upgrade if your system is doing everything you need it to.

I almost think my upgrades have been sort of a waste up until the Core 2 Duo change.

It felt almost as good as going from my XP 2500+ to my P4 2.4C god that thing was awesome...

Fair enough:)

Just making sure, if you know what I mean... and yeah, I love my X1950pro... It's an awesome card..

I betcha that X1950Pro beats out my 7800GTX OC, especially to me where it counts which is noise... ugh I hate loud cards... my original 7800 was fine, but this one I got from RMA has a new revision of the heatsink that runs the fan 100% and BFG said that isn't supposed to happen so they had me send this one in too... so we'll see how this turns out...

I sold the 2nd one I had as SLI wasn't helping my FPS in Final Fantasy XI at all.

How do you like your card? Any problems?

I have an X1950pro 256m and I really like it.. my wife has an older AGP machine that we're thinking about upgrading, and I am interested in this card, but haven't really heard much about it... Any input would be appreciated...

ive only been useing it for about 48hrs now, but i love it so far. no real problems i can see just as long as you have a well ventilated case. the card puts off a ton of heat.

this is my 2nd card though, my first one was over heating almost instantly. from what i can tell, if you get a card that works, your golden. if you get one with any problems at all, your screwed.

I betcha that X1950Pro beats out my 7800GTX OC, especially to me where it counts which is noise... ugh I hate loud cards...

It is pretty quiet, no complaints here. And really, it is an impressive card.. I know AGP is on it's way out, which I think is a bit sad because it's potential was never really realized.. Oh well... "progress", I guess;)

ive only been useing it for about 48hrs now, but i love it so far. no real problems i can see just as long as you have a well ventilated case. the card puts off a ton of heat.

this is my 2nd card though, my first one was over heating almost instantly. from what i can tell, if you get a card that works, your golden. if you get one with any problems at all, your screwed.

Ventilation is no problem here... I had heard of the heat issues with these cards and that is really why I was asking.. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your first one..

Keep us updated on the performance of your card, I'd like to know how it does after you've had a chance to put some miles on it....

Ventilation is no problem here... I had heard of the heat issues with these cards and that is really why I was asking.. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your first one..

Keep us updated on the performance of your card, I'd like to know how it does after you've had a chance to put some miles on it....

already done, check out this thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030976365#post1030976365

couple posts down is my factory recommended OC scores too.

Card's in my sig,bfg 6800 oc @ 360/705 with all vertex shaders unlocked. I'm still playing with the oc. I'm saving up money for a new rig,but I'm also waiting until all of the new technology such as dx10 and dual/quad core stabilizes a bit, there's so much stuff happening right now. This current setup actually serves me ok,though,I can run all games,even if it's not at the best settings. When I got this card,I had a top of the line system,and I'm still suprised how well this card works.

Still runnin' the 9800Pro 256MB with the Arctic Cooler and lovin' it. It's as quiet as a mouse.......OK, a loud mouse.;) It's my case fans that make a lot of noise.:) Then there's the Ti4400 dinosaur in my other rig.

It's sad that the old GeForce Ti200 is still running most of the games that my kid loves lol, and it plays WoW decently.

Using the Tweaks'r'us drivers on it too :)

AGP club? mwaaahahahaHAHAHAHA. Seriously? mwaaahahahaHAHAHA. Why? Just upgrade your PC. :)

Well... I do own a PVR using AGP with a 6600GT. It works for a PVR, for gaming it would be a joke.

I've got plenty of AGP cards including but not limited to:
ATI Rage IIC (with 2MB)
Matrox G200 (with 4MB IIRC)
Nvidia TNT2 M64 Vanta (with 32MB)
Geforce MX 400 NV11 (I refuse to say Geforce 2 MX or Geforce 4 MX)
2 Nvidia Vanta LTs (8MB each)
--one with a greater than double core overclock at 170c/180m from 80c/100m :)
Geforce 3 Ti 200 (64MB) OC to 220c/500m
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 AGP 8x (128MB, 250c/512m) -- in use
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB w/ R360) -- used to have two, one's artifacting
And for the honor of being the 300th post to this thread, I forgot to say that I have a 3dfx V5 5500 64MB

AGP club? mwaaahahahaHAHAHAHA. Seriously? mwaaahahahaHAHAHA. Why? Just upgrade your PC. :)

Well... I do own a PVR using AGP with a 6600GT. It works for a PVR, for gaming it would be a joke.

Really? My best friend plays wow everyday on his athlon 800 mhz and radeon 9000 128MB and does quite well on raids.

Ahem...

Hi.

Thank you for your wonderful input here in the AGP Club thread. I know the title of the thread itself may be just a bit confusing, but I think the 280+ posts contained in this thread pretty well explain what it's all about....

As the Ambassador of Good Will for the AGP Club I would like to extend a warm welcome to the club, we're glad to have you as a member. In the future, please try keep your posts constructive and on topic... upgrading our machines is not the topic here, I'm sure that you can find a thread elsewhere here at [H} that would be better suited for such conversation... or of course, you could always start your own:)

Again, welcome to the club.

WoW is a 3 year old graphics engine, so no, it's not a game requiring PCIe cards. Yes, AGP isn't "dead", it's just a 'value' market (never said it was dead). AGP 1x and 2x are pretty much dead, although AGP 4/8x cards are still sold. AGP isn't worth utilizing for new builds since it's often cheaper to go the faster PCIe route.

AGP isn't a collector's item yet, like MCA slot components, and it is rarely desirable for new PC builds. PCIe can do everything AGP can do and better. So why the "club"? Is it just for a sense of belonging to those who are running on a slightly older PC? I fail to understand beyond that.

I own many AGP video cards because I do a lot of builds and upgrades. I only have one in use in my PVR running MythTV, and it works fine. But I don't see much point in a "club" thread for it. My 2 cents. :)

WoW is a 3 year old graphics engine, so no, it's not a game requiring PCIe cards. Yes, AGP isn't "dead", it's just a 'value' market (never said it was dead). AGP 1x and 2x are pretty much dead, although AGP 4/8x cards are still sold. AGP isn't worth utilizing for new builds since it's often cheaper to go the faster PCIe route.

AGP isn't a collector's item yet, like MCA slot components, and it is rarely desirable for new PC builds. PCIe can do everything AGP can do and better. So why the "club"? Is it just for a sense of belonging to those who are running on a slightly older PC? I fail to understand beyond that.

I own many AGP video cards because I do a lot of builds and upgrades. I only have one in use in my PVR running MythTV, and it works fine. But I don't see much point in a "club" thread for it. My 2 cents. :)

Nobody here is talking about building new systems with AGP so fuck off with your 2 cents

We have a club thread because we want to if you dont like it your more than welcome to leave it the fuck alone. Grow up and quit trolling.

He needs to go start a club for himself. The "I have No Friends Club."

Now back to our AGP club. I heard the the IRS is going to have a tax deduction for AGP ownes for tax year 2007.

AGP club? mwaaahahahaHAHAHAHA. Seriously? mwaaahahahaHAHAHA. Why? Just upgrade your PC. :).

Well I have a top of the line ati card which is ati and it is really good with gaming, so right now im just waiting for fsx to come out with the patch for dx10 to upgrade to a pcie.. please dont post again(but you can if u were jking)

it is rarely desirable for new PC builds

Hi.

It's me again:)

A peaceful request from the AGP Club's Ambassador of Good Will.....

I really wish people would take the time actually read this thread, and try and grasp the concept that we know AGP is a dated interface. We don't care rather you think PCIe is better... that's not the point. As to the "Club" concept? Well, why is there a Slot1 Club, why is there a Socket 939 Club? The answer is simple. For one reason or another, some of us still use, and ***gasp*** like our older equipment. If you don't... that's fine, but just take it somewhere else. Go start your own thread.... maybe the "AGP sucks Club"... I don't really care, but please, just leave this thread alone.. please. It's been fine thus far without your (critical) input, and you are adding nothing to it with your post.

Thanks, and no offense intended, but as I said, please leave this thread alone.

Nobody here is talking about building new systems with AGP so fuck off with your 2 cents

We have a club thread because we want to if you dont like it your more than welcome to leave it the fuck alone. Grow up and quit trolling.

Dude, I'm on your side, but damn... shit like that is exactly what will ultimately get this thread locked... and I don't want to see that happen, so please man, cool it... Don't feed the trolls..

Wow, personal attacks left and right for merely stating some comments about the thread. Nice going.

I just want to add my 10 cents so GJSNeptune can spend them:p . I stay with AGP since its like the only card that i can get for nothing.....also because it seems that i keep going farther back in time instead of to the future.....my current MX4000 plays everything i play exept my NFS most wanted...but my dads Radeon 9600PRO does that for me....so i stay with it for the shear niceness of things.....and yes i love agp.....the only PCI-E card i have is dead....(freebie)...i got it to see how there made compared to AGP.....well thats my 10 cents for ya GJSNeptune:p (spend them wisely:p =) )

...my current MX4000 plays everything i play exept my NFS most wanted...but my dads Radeon 9600PRO does that for me...
I hear you about 'plays everything' you want to play (or almost). Only three years ago I still had my AGP geforce 4 card in my primary PC. I played everything I wanted to, including titles like the Baulder's Gate series. I discovered how much I enjoyed the newer 3D games when I upgraded to an AGP 6600GT.

Now I've started down that path of getting more powerful cards. I like to run dual screen and run my DirectX/OpenGL games in window mode to cursor over to the second screen. My current 7600GT doesn't give great framerates for most current games in window mode, so soon I'm going to switch to 8800GTS. But I certainly had a lot of fun with my AGP 6600GT for a couple of years. It pumped out decent framerates with games like Dungeon Siege 2, Dreamfall The Longest Journey, and WoW, but only in full-screen, not window modes.

Cipher, we're happy for you. Really, we are. Just leave us be. Cool?

It doesn't necessarily mean we love AGP. I'm a member simply because I'm still using an AGP card. Will my next build have a PCIe card? Most likely. Will I still use this old rig with the AGP for years to come? Absolutely. Do I enjoy running my x800 GTO AGP unlocked to 16 pipelines? Absolutely.

Start a new thread Cipher... really.. if you want to discuss the benefits of PCIe vs AGP go ahead and start a new thread..... But leave this one alone... please, just leave it.

300 posts and almost 8,000 views.. don't ruin it for those of us that enjoy it, ok?

It doesn't necessarily mean we love AGP. I'm a member simply because I'm still using an AGP card. Will my next build have a PCIe card? Most likely. Will I still use this old rig with the AGP for years to come? Absolutely. Do I enjoy running my x800 GTO AGP unlocked to 16 pipelines? Absolutely.

And im feeding the trolls :rolleyes: You dont have to explain yourself this guy.

Obviously the mods are not going to lock the thread if they where it wouldve happened the last time a troll did exactly what cipher is doing a few pages back. This gusy not the first one to crap on this thread and he wont be the last.

I dont think the mods really care about this type of nonsense at least they have not up until now. The PCI-E zealots have crapped all over every thread related to AGP for months and so far not so much as a warning has been handed out for it. So if they get mad about what i said they can delete it but they should also realize that so many of us wouldnt feel the need to go off like that if they where moderating the constant barrage of thread crapping aimed at the AGP crowd.

Kind of annoying that if i went to the intel section and said intel sucks it would be deleted and i may be banned/warned yet its perfectly OK for the PCI-E zealots to shit all over us?

Well, as there are lots more members coming in, Im not going to update which new members come in.. allitle bit lazy :p

Hello there, I'm happily running an AGP system.

It still does everything I want it to and I really can't complain too much. There are a few things I wish I could change, but I do not see the need to upgrade the entire system. Apart from making it quieter, the only two changes I would make are to replace the Newcastle 3400+ with a Venice core and the 9800pro with a 7600GT. In the first case, I am unable to find any Venice cores. They only seem to be shipping Palermos in Europe where I am. The 7600GT will eventually replace the 9800pro, but in 6 months at the earliest. It's a card that requires little power and will deliver more than I need.

For me it's as simple as, if it makes me happy, then there's no reason to upgrade. Long live AGP! ;)

Wow, personal attacks left and right for merely stating some comments about the thread. Nice going.

You brought it on yourself. Next time act like an adult, don't flame bait and you won't get lambasted. Of course this can be taken to a moderator and you can get warned and/or banned - the choice is yours.

Please consider me for inclusion in your club. I have an A64 3700+ Clawhammer with an Asus K8V mobo, 2x512 mb of Ultra DDR400 ram, same hsf as in my sig (home) system, same hdd's as in my sig (home) system, a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997 DF monitor and a VisionTek AGP X800Pro 256mb video card here in my work system. I built this system in June 2004 with a 3400+ Clawhammer originally but about 6 months later upgraded to the 3700+. This is a CAD system that was built with CAD and HL/HL2 in mind. My best 3DMark03 score at 1024x768 is 12,355 with the cpu oc'd to 2.6 (from 2.4) and the video card oc'd from 475/450 to 570/570. This VisionTek card oc's like crazy!
While it is true that my sig system is PCI-e I have resisted upgrading the work system because this "old" VisionTek X800Pro is such a good card. I groove on the older s754 setups and whenever I hear someone put down the old AGP 4x/8x cards I just laugh inside since this system runs so well. There is still plenty of life left in the AGP 4x/8x architecture as evidenced by the video card makers still offering releases for AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back