AGP Card for work - dual monitors

Bob002

Gawd
Was going to bring a monitor from home to work, but noticed my work puter is using onboard video (and therefore wouldn't work). Long story short, I produce a magazine monthly. I don't need the latest schmancy fancy card, but I don't want one that will burn up and crap out in the near future. I'm noticing the only ones with fans are a Jaton, BFG, and Gigabye offerings.

Right now looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125368 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130654

The BFG one is twice the price, it seems.

Either of these cards be decent for non-game playing?

Get ANY agp card and strap a small fan to it, if it's passive?

ANY agp card will be just fine for 2D work, though recent ATI drivers seem to mess with colors a bit, IMHO, compared to newer nVidia ones...
Granted, that's likely a driver issue, and you're probably not going to be running the latest catalyst release for an AGP card several generations old!

both cards should work fine. 6200 or x1300 or better (DX9 with SM3.0).

I have a 6800 128MB I'd sell for $25 shipped if you want. Kinda large, but pretty quiet with good fan.

Last edited:
both cards should work fine. 6200 or x1300 or better (DX9 with SM3.0).

I have a 6800 128MB I'd sell for $25 shipped if you want. Kinda large, but pretty quiet with good fan.

Might get back with you on that.

why do you want a fan?

Just don't want to worry about overheating issues. Granted, it should be fine, but I like to play better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the heads up. They do have a 256mb card that would probably work. I'll check it out.

Generally speaking, with bottom-end cards, if they don't come with a fan they don't need one.

Just don't want to worry about overheating issues. Granted, it should be fine, but I like to play better safe than sorry..

the cards wont even reach full clock speeds in 2D. they throttle in 2D apps. second cards are more likley to die due to bad quality electronics and caps than heat on the chip.

Im sure some one on the [H] is selling a AGP card cheap, Hell i just bought a Ati X1550 for $20.

Yeah, I've got a few Geforce 5xxx and 6xxx series AGP cards I"d be willing to give away for the price of shipping from Canada...

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got a few Geforce 5xxx and 6xxx series AGP cards I"d be willing to give away for the price of shipping from Canada...

thread jack sorry... any of those cards have hdmi by chance? pm me if so

ontopic we use matrox dual head cards at work that are fairly reliable.

Wow. Apparently I was wrong. It's a PCI Express x16 card. Question - The info I can find on the board (Asus P5GD1-VM) just says PCI Express x16. Would a 2.0 PCI Express card work??

Yes, and for pci-e cards for the limited use you're talking about, you can usually find deals on the lower models for $10-20 (sometimes rebate unfortunately) new. Or just check the fs/ft forums and I'm sure you can find a dirt cheap pci-e.

Yes, and for pci-e cards for the limited use you're talking about, you can usually find deals on the lower models for $10-20 (sometimes rebate unfortunately) new. Or just check the fs/ft forums and I'm sure you can find a dirt cheap pci-e.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I was out of the game for so long, i'm never sure what works.

I'm perusing the FS/FT forums as we speak, and i'll check the Egg out as well.

Back