AGP Aperture Size?

Clowning

Limp Gawd
What is AGP Aperture Size? Bios default it to 64mb. What should I set it to if I have a 9800pro 128mb?

Spec:
Athlon xp 2500+
768mb pc2100
9800pro 128mb

I think but I am not sure but I think that it allows ram to be used as video ram, I am not sure but I have mine set to 128 and I think that if you have at least 512 ram you should have it to 128 also but others will answer this post and give you better answers.

64 is ok in most scenarios, some guys prefer 128mb if you have the spare ram available, try both values and test in some games, see which fits more your needs

good luck

oldmx

ok, I've got 1gig of RAM and a 128megs of video memory. I've never understood aperture what do you think I should set it to?

The mermaid demo from Nvidia don't work all that well with 64 aperture set. When I set it to 256 in my rig and my friend who has a 6600GT the demo went much smoother. It would pause alot b4, Im not sure how it affects gameplay though

I'm going to set it to 128mb. In BF2, like after the beginning of a map load, the game would stutter for about 5 minutes so it can load all the textures. If I set it to 128mb, it still stutters but it seems like it didnt stutter for as long.

what i know is, you should set the aperture size to half your RAM size always,

so you shouldd do 256 since that's the max amount in the BIOS i gues.

I have mine set to 256 MB

MaXimus666 said:

Perhaps you should read the links in a post before you repeat a myth...back from the 16MB GFX days...

Terra...

Yes. It doesn't look like anyone read the links above. They are proffessional suggestions after all.

No, there is no respective setting for PCIe, since the I/O busses are completely different.

MaXimus666 said:

The SN95G5 (ver. 3, at least) offers 512 MB...when I finish building my new system, I'll try it out and let you know. I'll actually be interested to see how my 1 gig XMS will handle it :)

Set it to 256MB. I've done some performance testing and that seems to be the optimal setting. In lieu of that, 128MB isn't bad either.

BattleMaster said:
Set it to 256MB. I've done some performance testing and that seems to be the optimal setting. In lieu of that, 128MB isn't bad either.
Well since this thread is back up and I just did a search for aperture sizes because I have been wondering forever, I'd like to know what videocard 256MB is most efficient for?

Well since this thread is back up and I just did a search for aperture sizes because I have been wondering forever, I'd like to know what videocard 256MB is most efficient for?

It doesn't matter what video card. It's how much system RAM you have and how much you are willing to dedicate to graphics out of that total RAM. There is no specific video card that can handle 256 MB and one that doesn't. Totally un-related.

Back