Ageia's PhysX Needs a Killer App @ [H] Enthusiast

Spewn

2[H]4U
Good to know.

In that regard, with the issues that have been raised regarding server speed and lag between clients in multiplayer games, what will this card actually be good for?

mashie

Mawd Gawd
Spewn said:
Good to know.

In that regard, with the issues that have been raised regarding server speed and lag between clients in multiplayer games, what will this card actually be good for?
This?

cf_10.jpg

Now we just need faster videocards to handle the massive amount of objects generated... ;)

RAMMAN

Weaksauce
^^^^^theres a killer app right there.all we need is a full retail version of cellfactor with a good single player campaign and we have ourselves the next hl2 :cool: .then everyone will want a physx card.

Spewn

2[H]4U
Mashie; That's one corner of one area. The server has to calculate the physics for all that, no? Could it handle that sort of thing if it was happening all over a Q3A map during a 4on4 or 5on5 even?

On the other hand, if you're implying that it's good for making $250 screenshots, well, I guess I can't argue with that :D

mashie

Mawd Gawd
Spewn said:
Mashie; That's one corner of one area. The server has to calculate the physics for all that, no? Could it handle that sort of thing if it was happening all over a Q3A map during a 4on4 or 5on5 even?

On the other hand, if you're implying that it's good for making $250 screenshots, well, I guess I can't argue with that :D
Well, with 4 bots it's quite interesting because you normally pick out enemies due to motion in a static environment. Here it is anything but static so to see a bot before it "see you" among the flying/moving rubble makes it a lot more difficult than Q3A. If I had more computers with PhysX I would have a LAN party here.

This is a view of 90% of the map.

Regarding need for PPU on the server, quite likely.

The card is also good for $250 videos. :D

dotK

[H]ard|Gawd
RAMMAN said:
^^^^^theres a killer app right there.all we need is a full retail version of cellfactor with a good single player campaign and we have ourselves the next hl2 :cool: .then everyone will want a physx card.
A bunch of crap flying around in the air doesn't make a game good.

bildad

Gawd
Sly said:
Please give an example of an actual game situation where you would need a PPU, without stressing the video card, and that a CPU couldn't handle. Something that a bystander the user is showing off to would be able to see the benefit of.

There isn't really, at least now how people are thinking that physics are all about. People who believe that physics = eyecandy are going to be very disappointed. You can either have your great graphics or your 100 boxes flying around, pick one because you can't have both. When the latest games come out and people with thier top of the line hardware complain that they can barely eek out 30fps how do you think adding all this debris is going to get rendered? The PPU is going to render it on your screen for you? No, it's not.

People are going to have to realize exactly what physics is. It's an unseen force that affects the world and objects around us. You can't see it; only the results of it. The real benefits of physics will be in things we can't see that affect the way games are played. Everyone loves a good fps, so what would happen if we used physics to do things like realisticlly track the way bullets behave. Things like windage, bullet drop, penetration of surfaces, ricochets. How about being able to throw a grenade that acts like a grenade instead of a rubber ball, realistic behaviour of shrapnel. Smoke grenades that make smoke that's affected by the room it's in, wind, vents, etc and not just static sprites? That will be the real benefit of physics and not gimmicky nonsense like extra boxes or pipes or barrels flying through the air.

Spewn

2[H]4U
mashie said:
Well, with 4 bots it's quite interesting because you normally pick out enemies due to motion in a static environment. Here it is anything but static so to see a bot before it "see you" among the flying/moving rubble makes it a lot more difficult than Q3A. If I had more computers with PhysX I would have a LAN party here.

This is a view of 90% of the map.

Regarding need for PPU on the server, quite likely.

The card is also good for $250 videos. :D

That map would have a REALLY hard time fitting 10(5on5) people. Try showing me a map around the size of "frag like an egyptian" or Map 4 in the RA3 map pack(the castle map, forget what it's called). Sorry, I know you can't because you've only got the tech demo. But that's my point, I'm skeptical because all I've seen are some bad results(GRAW) and a small tech demo(Cell Factor). My question regarding the server requiring a PPU is this; If you imagine a CS map such as Dust 2, and you've got TONS of stacks of boxes everywhere, and you're simulating explosions using particles, at what point will it become too much for the card? You don't have this issue with video because the server doesn't have to render every client's frames, but in the case of server-side object handling, the server is required to track the position, linear and angular velocity of each collidable object. That cellfactor demo is tiny, I'm sure a single PPU could handle it. "Frag like an egyptian"(RA3) would be at least 4 or 5x the size of the map you posted a screenie of.

Something that can fit 16-20 people comfortably, with stuff flying everywhere, and the server NOT crapping out, would be nice to see. Right now, I'm skeptical, and given what we've seen from Aegia I think I have every reason to be. I can only believe what I've seen so far, and what I've seen so far as led me to believe that this is nothing more than a corporate railroad on the way to selling more products.

mashie

Mawd Gawd
bildad said:
Everyone loves a good fps, so what would happen if we used physics to do things like realisticlly track the way bullets behave. Things like windage, bullet drop, penetration of surfaces, ricochets. How about being able to throw a grenade that acts like a grenade instead of a rubber ball, realistic behaviour of shrapnel. Smoke grenades that make smoke that's affected by the room it's in, wind, vents, etc and not just static sprites? That will be the real benefit of physics and not gimmicky nonsense like extra boxes or pipes or barrels flying through the air.
I totally agree but the developers have to start somewhere and the "rubble in the air" is a quick and easy way to show it off.