Ageia PhysX driver released, but where are the cards?

No, The Manufacturer's have decided (in my oppinion) to screw the retail buyers and release the cards to Systems Manufacturerers like Dell, Alienware, and Falcon Northwest as an option on only the most overpriced of junkers for the first month or two. BFG plans on selling retail in May and Asus is only selling though system manufactureres.

Kritter said:
No, The Manufacturer's have decided (in my oppinion) to screw the retail buyers and release the cards to Systems Manufacturerers like Dell, Alienware, and Falcon Northwest as an option on only the most overpriced of junkers for the first month or two. BFG plans on selling retail in May and Asus is only selling though system manufactureres.

Why would it be a good idea to release it now, with a grand total of Zero games with support?

They are going to release them once there are games that use it. From the looks of it, they are on the right track.

Zinn said:
grand total of 1 game. bet on soldier :p

At the moment, Bet on Soldier uses version 2.2 of the AGEIA PhysX Engine. Only games using version 2.3 and higher (current is 2.4) will work with the PPU. They are supposed to release a patch soon.

I actually got the game and was all excited to try it with the PPU but came to that unfortunate conclusion. I'm looking forward to May.

i agree... its much smarter to sell them to large computer builders like Dell.... that way theyll get a LOT more cards out there and Dell gets to skim a little off the sale for themselves :D

Yeah, game developers don't develop just for us enthusiats, they develop for the average rich people who buy $7000 Alienware and Dell machines. If the card isn't widespread in OEM, game will NOT be made for it.

As much as I'd like to see OEM physX cards on the market right now, I think it is a much smarter deal for everybody for them to be sold through big retailers initially. This way the people who are willing to spend more than they need to, will create an initial demand for PPU's. They will pay the premuim for the first "batch" of PPU's and then the rest of us will be able to buy them for cheaper as volume increases and games actually come out that support them. Also, support from big retailers will send the message to the developers that this PPU thing is serious and they need to make games for it. Until we see a couple strong titles that support a PPU, I'm not inclined to get worked up over the current lack of availability.

Back