Ageia Lowers Prices

Hmmm $179 sounds nice.

Drop the games (Most people would have played them by now not being the newest games out) and drop $30 - $50 more???

I think a lot of people would open their arms (read: wallets) to Ageia then. Maybe I am too much Scrooge McDuck.

i could do without the games and a 124.99 price tag. Although the new lowered price is quite tempting!

I already have a physx card as I liked the idea but if they really wanted to shift some cards the need to speak to the unreal guys and setup some sort of voucher scheme for a copy of UT2007 like ATI did with the radeons and HL2.

sandys said:
I already have a physx card as I liked the idea but if they really wanted to shift some cards the need to speak to the unreal guys and setup some sort of voucher scheme for a copy of UT2007 like ATI did with the radeons and HL2.
HL2 is the only game purchase where I really feel like I got my money's worth out of it. I'm holding off on this Physx stuff until I read reviews saying that I won't be able to live myself and ever full enjoy the games that interest me until I buy and install one of these cards.

Sorry, waiting to see what red and green bring to the table......maybe if they were free?

magoo said:
Sorry, waiting to see what red and green bring to the table......maybe if they were free?

They won't be "free". It will either cost you money or graphics performance.

But anyway, $179 looks nice. Although I have a feeling NVIDIA is going to win the physics wars (not that I want them to), I may buy a PPU anyway at that price. Besides, I could use the games (haven't been keeping up with gaming lately).

The only problem is, if I buy a PPU, I will no longer have an unbiased opinion about the different physics offerings. Oh well...

If you look at the new 680i MBs its pretty clear that the GPU makers are not too long from offering a solution......I think waiting is a good idea at this point.

Actually it's more like

680i is nVidia and RD600 is ATi

I honestly don't think you'll be able to use an ATi and nVidia mixed as in use an ATi GPU for physics and an nVidia GPU for the graphics.

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. – November 15, 2006 – Responding to the growing market demand for PhysX powered games, AGEIA™ Technologies, Inc., the pioneer in hardware-accelerated physics for games, today introduced a limited-time “Fall for PhysX” promotion program via key e-tailers.

Available through select e-tail partners, those who purchase AGEIATM PhysXTM Add-In-Boards from BFG Technologies or ASUS will also receive – free of charge – three full games worth over $100 to enjoy the enhanced gaming experience only PhysX can bring. Games included in the bundle are: City of Villains, Bet on Soldier: Blood of Sahara and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. In addition, the bundle will also include a demo of CellFactor: Combat Training, a prequel to the highly anticipated CellFactor: Revolution game to be released later this year.

“We want to provide the bundled entertainment experience that gamers crave,” said Michael Steele, Vice President of Marketing for AGEIA. “PhysX is the next chapter of gaming evolution. PhysX based games deliver an immersive experience that engages players like never before. These games are a great way to wet consumers’ appetites for what’s coming this holiday season.”

The AGEIA “Fall For PhysX” bundle is available with purchase of PhysX Accelerator cards manufactured by ASUS or BFG, and sold via leading e-tailers including: Mwave, Newegg and Zipzoomfl. For more details, visit http://www.ageia.com.

Dunno what kind of deal that really is.... I think they need to INCLUDE a full copy of Cell Factor:Revo to get it rolling...

PCI slots are at such a premium on modern motherboards, I won't really be interested in purchasing a PhysX card until they arrive in PCIe.

Dan_D said:
PCI slots are at such a premium on modern motherboards, I won't really be interested in purchasing a PhysX card until they arrive in PCIe.

I agree.

I think another issue is the fact that they really need a decent app to sell with the package. The reason they've got those games bundled with the card is because nothing else even really supports the damn card. Who wants to purchase a $150+ card that only supports (at least at this point) mediocre games?

Support+PCIe+reasonable price=win

$179 is better, but I'd like to see it for no more than $149, and in PCI and PCIe flavors. I'd also like to see more games, GRAW isn't a good use of it, the others mentioned are meh. They should bundle UT2007 with it IMO to really get it rolling.

Dan_D said:

QFT. I have no room with SLI and X-Fi.

gilga said:
i could do without the games and a 124.99 price tag. Although the new lowered price is quite tempting!

If you exclude those games, what else is there really?

Either way Price or Bus Type make no difference unless there is something cool to play that has some sort of significant feature advantage over non PhysX ppu systems.

[H]Opterown said:
QFT. I have no room with SLI and X-Fi.

Your not trying hard enough ;) I have 7900GTX SLI, XFi, Physx and PCI 3G card :p

Without a decent app, Physx is in trouble even if it was £50 and came in any flavour of slot. Wish the developers would gets some games out that support it CF looks promising but having only seen combat training and the CF:R video it looks like it might end up dull, the two maps shown have no variety, lets hope something better pops up in the actually game.

Dan_D said:

10000% QFT!

Yeah i'm with the other guy. I would buy it for around 124.99 with out the games or 179.99 with unreal2007

A step in the right direction, for sure. However, I think the price needs to fall even farther to around $100-$150 before we see people readily picking them up.

PCIe would be great I agree, but where you puttin that card? If by chance you run dual SLI cards that EACH take 2 slots of room, your very close to running out of room for that precious PCIe slot. Offer it up as a cheaper solution being built in onboard the motherboard I say.

NIVO said:
PCIe would be great I agree, but where you puttin that card? If by chance you run dual SLI cards that EACH take 2 slots of room, your very close to running out of room for that precious PCIe slot. Offer it up as a cheaper solution being built in onboard the motherboard I say.

Actually, I have a PCIe x1 slot above the x16 slots, so it wouldn't interfere with anything. Many motherboards do this.

Brent_Justice said:
$179 is better, but I'd like to see it for no more than $149, and in PCI and PCIe flavors. I'd also like to see more games, GRAW isn't a good use of it, the others mentioned are meh. They should bundle UT2007 with it IMO to really get it rolling.

If they could pull that off, or perhaps I should say, it they are willing ot lower their profit levels enough to allow this, the card would shoot off the e-tailers shelves. UT2007 will be big, especially the hype.

Another "out of PCI slots due to SLI and X-Fi" reporting in. Once I see a convincing app (not a PhysX demo) I might go for one if somehow they make a cable that allows you to mount a PCI card somewhere else but extends the slot or something.

They could give them away free, but until there's something decent to play that uses it there's no point in getting one.

Sovereign said:
Another "out of PCI slots due to SLI and X-Fi" reporting in. Once I see a convincing app (not a PhysX demo) I might go for one if somehow they make a cable that allows you to mount a PCI card somewhere else but extends the slot or something.

IT's called a PCI ribbon riser... Look for them!

Arcygenical said:
IT's called a PCI ribbon riser... Look for them!

doesnt sound good to me...
the PCI bridge has enough noise as it is, it doesnt need any extension cords making more!

nhusby said:
the PCI bridge has enough noise as it is, it doesnt need any extension cords making more!
these are used by servers all the time. completeyly reliable.

nhusby said:

I once thought this way too, but through a bit of research (and the fact that the US navy uses them all the time for submarine computers, that often need to fit in wierd positions/sizes) and the "helpful" flames of a forum member (he was a marine, perfect, stupid stereotypical bludgeon headed marine)...

I learned otherwise.

In reality, I think PCI-E 1x slots are far harder to come by than spare PCI-slots. Several boards only come with one, directly under the first PCI-E 16x slot. Any dual slot cooling kills your chances of using a PPU then.

In my setup now, I have a single dual-slot video card, and an X-Fi. I have one free PCI-E slot, a 16x, which will no doubt see SLI action soon. I have two free PCI slots, and X-FI occupying the third. I have two perfectly open spots to put a PPU. If I went SLI, I'd loose a PCI slot. The X-Fi would move up a slot, and the ppu could nestle inbetween the two cards. Everything would be right as rain.

I know all of you saying you wan't PCI-E are in a situation where PCI slots are not available where a PCI-E slot is, but I would have to guess there is a very large percentage of poeple who have easier access to a PCI slot. Hence, Ageia isn't quick to jump the gun.

well how much data is actually transmitted through the physX cards while being utilized? Perhaps a usb 2 external edition is in order? Or if they could shrink the die or outlay of the card, cram it into a 3.5" floppy bay. Solutions are at hand, they just need to be more creative, as board real estate is getting more valuable.

I won't be interested until they fix the latency of the PhysX card. This may be due to the limitations of PCI or poor drivers, but the card is obviously not performing up to potential.

I mean, the card can't even double your framerate versus the software physics engine (even when, as the developers claim, "most of the objects in the scene are 'asleep'"), and it seems to be limited to incredibly slow framerates, as if it were slowing down the entire rendering pipeline.

When you think about it: the PhysX card produces triangle data to describe certain accelerated objects in the scene, and all that time the video card is waiting. I've seen the Cell Factor demo; there's nothing complex about it besides the actual triangle physics...if you rendered it as a static scene, you would get hundreds of frames per second with a modern video card.

In the end, you're waiting on the PhysX card for each frame, and from what I've seen it can't deliver performance high enough to keep up with modern video cards. I'm thinking it has something to do with immature drivers, but I think that PCI bus collection plays a part as well. This card needs a beefy PCIe 2x or 4x connection just to take that one unknown out of the equation.

This is also why I'm highly in favor of on-GPU physics, because removing an extra (relatively) high-latency hop from the rendering pipeline is always good.

defaultluser said:
I see you choose to ignore Realitymark with your rant that proves just the opposite..
Yes a GPU solution might* be fun when we get one. But, after all games takes a while to make, so even if ati/nvidia released a working api now - they still be a year after.
Then again this better be "the fall of physx"

*Well, nvidias drivers lost their gold status long ago. Now one have to wait a while when they release new drivers to let some other sucker crash his system before you try them. Can't wait to let them shoehorn in a physix api also..

Back