monkeymagick

[H]News
Microsoft released an announcement trailer for Age of Empires IV. The game will be developed by Relic Entertainment, the makers of the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series of RTS games. It's been about 12 years since the release of Age of Empires III and the original developers Ensemble Studios has disbanded. Not sure how I feel about this. While I love Relic's previous work, I'm not the biggest fan of Company of Heroes 2 and Dawn of War 3. Besides the concept trailer, not much was shown nor info was given on time period the new game will span into.

Check out the dawn of a new age.

It's time to battle through history once more in the latest entry of the landmark Age of Empires franchise.

Last edited:
I want a new age of mythologies, no need to be limited by "reality"

I miss playing as the egyptians with their easy gathering of favor from the gods with the monuments, and those anubis jackal mythic units. And of course their priests that shredded mythic units.

I want an expanded mythology too.

Hindu pantheon? check

Buddhist pantheon? check

Middle eastern pantheons and branches? From Jinn/Efreeti to Islam? Check. Christianity and Judaism? Check, I wonder if there could be a metatron arch angel mythic unit? or some saints as hero units?

All beliefs systems, all mythologies, no constraints!

I hope it plays like AOE II. I still find myself dumping a lot of hours into that game on occasion.

If it's only for Windows 10 then count me out. While I loved the old ones I am not installing that malware just to play a game.

There is an inherent problem with these sequels being released so long after the last entry in a franchise. Technology, both hardware and software, has progressed so far that there will be needed changes that will quite often make fans of the franchise upset. The gameplay is different, so it is "not as good." Of course, Microsoft could go the route of making it very similar to the old technology that we remember so well, and then be criticized for being old and stale.

I hope this does well. I enjoyed the originals, and would like a decent alternative to Civ (not that I don't like Civ, but sometimes I like something different). I just expect a lot of griping once this does get released.

Didn't they have some Age of Empires online crap for social media? I expect similar garbage packaged as a Windows 10 app.

This never seems to work out well. If Blizzard couldn't recapture the magic of Starcraft I don't have a lot of confidence these guys can make another AoE.

When I first read Win10 Exclusive I thought they remade it using DX12. Then read up, nope DX11...just locked to the Windows Store.
So, yeah. My excitement immediately died. So much for that. I have the store disabled on all the machines at home. Won't be re-enabling it for some some game they refuse to do a proper release of.

Really getting sick of MS forcing a certain OS on people.

Didn't they have some Age of Empires online crap for social media? I expect similar garbage packaged as a Windows 10 app.

This never seems to work out well. If Blizzard couldn't recapture the magic of Starcraft I don't have a lot of confidence these guys can make another AoE.

I used to play Age of Empires Online thru Steam. Wasn't a mobile game, and I was bummed when they decided to shut it down for good. There is an Age of Empires mobile game that I think is called Castle Siege.

However, regardless of its OS restrictions, I'm pretty excited for the 4th entry. I invested many, many, many hours into I, II, and III.

As a former Relic employee, this announcement saddens me (contract work from MSFT to keep the doors open is never a good thing in the end).

As a former Relic employee that lived through the Games for Windows/Steam hybrid that was DoW II, it saddens me even more.

Sweet, a "trailer" that consisted of a big photoshop pan.

Already disappointed.

RYu4Dor.jpg

Back