Age of Conan

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I've never been interested in MMORPGs; but this title looks interesting.

Is this something you can pay for once (i.e. buy only the disc) and play at will - or do you have to pay some monthly 'access' fee on top of the price of the game?

$14.99, first month free. I think it's going to be worth every penny.

I'm loving the open beta and can't wait until the game is released.

I played it a little bit and it is pretty good. It was fun at the low levels but I'm not sure how it is at higher levels since there was a cap.

i've been waiting for this game foooorrrreeeevvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrr i loved conan as a kid and me and my brother used to beat the crap out of each other with sticks after watching it. it was aweshum!

Tried getting in beta many times, but never got in. I've heard nothing but good about it except from some haters, but they're always around;)

and yea, 15.00 a month, 50 bucks or so for the game itself. worth every penny imo... oh and i guess it's 30 freaking gigs, its gotta be freaking huuuuuge.

If you're a PVPer and loved WoW's system, you will be in for a rude awakening. It is hardcore if you really want to reach the top of the PVP food chain. But that's only for people that want the PVP gear.

I was playing around today (They just enabled FFA), and it's hectic and at the same time annoying. You cant get anything done, because anyone can attack you (and that's where it's hectic, cause everyone is ganking everyone). On retail, they're supposed to have contested zones a la WoW, so it wont be so bad.

And I really havent encountered that many bugs at all. Makes me wonder if the people bashing the game have played it at all.

If you're a PVPer and loved WoW's system, you will be in for a rude awakening. It is hardcore if you really want to reach the top of the PVP food chain. But that's only for people that want the PVP gear.

I was playing around today (They just enabled FFA), and it's hectic and at the same time annoying. You cant get anything done, because anyone can attack you (and that's where it's hectic, cause everyone is ganking everyone). On retail, they're supposed to have contested zones a la WoW, so it wont be so bad.

And I really havent encountered that many bugs at all. Makes me wonder if the people bashing the game have played it at all.

Yes this is true all the whining in global chats about griefing camping etc..(wow kiddies most likely) gives me the impression that the PVE servers are going to be the most populated. For the solo type of player I don't recommend the pvp ffa server, but if you and some friends level together and can form gank/anti gank squads its the way to go. There is no rez protection and you can get attacked anytime in the pvp parts of town while talking to an npc. So it is the hard core variety type of pvp.

PvP will be a FFA fest but from what I been reading its especially bad right now because you can only level so high in Beta and after that there's nothing else to do other than kill people. But it is a glimpse of what it'll be like once it goes live and many get to Level 80.

If this sounds like its to much for you you can always choose a PvE server where PvP will only be allowed in certain zones. Border kingdoms I think is what its called. My thoughts are the hardcore PvP types will choose the PvP or RP/PvP servers and everyone else will choose the PvE servers. It'll be interesting to see which type of server will become the most popular in AoC.

meh, i'll be on PvE. ffa gankfest isn't my idea of fun.

raiding anyone? lol

I placed my pre-order and got my early access key, I can't wait! I've been in the closed beta and the game is fun (there's no level cap in the closed beta, its like the full game).

I placed my pre-order and got my early access key, I can't wait! I've been in the closed beta and the game is fun (there's no level cap in the closed beta, its like the full game).

Tell me you entered that early access key in already? Please say you did. They just closed up the Early Access today so anyone who didn't enter their key in is locked out of it.

Yup, I did and I already downloaded the client. The patching is supposed to be open today so I'm gonna see if I can get it updated.

I'm really excited about this game, I have the mammoth and early access. I hope it lives up to expectations.

I've never been interested in MMORPGs; but this title looks interesting.

Is this something you can pay for once (i.e. buy only the disc) and play at will - or do you have to pay some monthly 'access' fee on top of the price of the game?

You can pay for it only once. Simply send me a check for $1000 and I'll make sure to pay the monthly fee on time for you ;)

looks like this game has alot of potential, ive been playing WoW for awhile and im looking to try something new out, hopefully i can get my cousins guest pass later and give it a go!!

I've seen demos, and screenshots and read about it some. I wanna play this game!

I just dont know if I want pay a monthly fee like WoW. Yeah, I have a 70 frost mage, but still....

I've been trying it out, but my main pc is down so I've been using the family pc to play and the performance is godawful. Even at 1024x768 all med-low it just chokes, and the family pc is not a slouch (x2 4800, 2gb ram, x2 7800gt's). :(

This is also my first mmo ever, so I'm kinda slow going.

My current PC plays it ok at 1680x1050 but I think its an issue on their end. I was getting slow FPS in the city 15-20 (settings set to medium tweaked to be closer to high). I went and set it to low and I was still getting the same FPS. I'll have a C2D in a few days so I'm hoping to see some improvements.

Just like to address the above comments about PvP

I'm on a PvP server and all zones are PvP enabled apart from any of the major cities/towns, theres actually not as much asshattery as you'd probably expect, it's very much a do unto others as you would have other do unto you and this kinda shines through, if you help rescue people around you, you make friends and they'll more often than not stick close by and it's kind of understood that you'll help each other out.

Those who go around murdering all the time and beating others down tend to get their fair share of being picked on, I've never let an unprovoked death slide, I always seek revenge and I've got it every time so far. You have to realise that anyone you piss off is going to mentally flag your name and later on may run into you when you're least expecting it.

I've got into more than enough fights just being nice to people, but i've also had other people help me, so it depends what you want, if you plan to go around being a dick to everyone you're going to get that back at you but 10x worse.

it's actually a lot of fun, when groups of people are in the same area, everyone has their eye on everyone else, and everyone kinda skulks around carefully, and you can feel the tension in the air, and once in a while someone makes a go of it and all hell can break lose, it's really fun.

Theres no real death penalty for dying to other players which is good.

Just like to address the above comments about PvP

I'm on a PvP server and all zones are PvP enabled apart from any of the major cities/towns, theres actually not as much asshattery as you'd probably expect, it's very much a do unto others as you would have other do unto you and this kinda shines through, if you help rescue people around you, you make friends and they'll more often than not stick close by and it's kind of understood that you'll help each other out.

Those who go around murdering all the time and beating others down tend to get their fair share of being picked on, I've never let an unprovoked death slide, I always seek revenge and I've got it every time so far. You have to realise that anyone you piss off is going to mentally flag your name and later on may run into you when you're least expecting it.

I've got into more than enough fights just being nice to people, but i've also had other people help me, so it depends what you want, if you plan to go around being a dick to everyone you're going to get that back at you but 10x worse.

it's actually a lot of fun, when groups of people are in the same area, everyone has their eye on everyone else, and everyone kinda skulks around carefully, and you can feel the tension in the air, and once in a while someone makes a go of it and all hell can break lose, it's really fun.

Theres no real death penalty for dying to other players which is good.

Yep, it is a good game so far, albeit flawed, like any other MMORPG on release. As for your PvP experience... I'm on the Cimmeria server, in Murder Herd. Go read the official AoC forums for that server. You'll basically get a picture of what a mid-paced player goes through.

FYI, I'm level 43, and I must say, the game doesn't start till level 20. At that point, you think you are starting to learn everything, then they game changes it up at level 40. I am expecting level 60 and 80 to both be new games.

Yeah It's a well balanced game that throws content at you in steps. 1-20 is newbie singleplayer style story area. 40 you get raiding in groups and tradeskills etc, I hope that at 60 and 80 they step up and deliver more decent content. Im 31 at the moment, and I'm enjoying leveling slowly and getting into some PvP scrapes along the way.

Back