Afterburner Developer, says Development of the App is "Abandoned" on the Guru3D Forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont think moving just for ab development is viable, i could be wrong though...

Yeah, as I mentioned above, I probably agree. Moving just for AB would be a bit much for him as an individual and his family, but if it is something that he had wanted anyway, this may be his opportunity to qualify for an O-1 "special talent" visa.

Shit, only several weeks ago, military aged men were escaping Russia in droves. The probability of him being interested in leaving is greater than just non-zero, though who knows his thinking and situation.

Unwinder is a legend. I hope he gets the support he needs. And if he can't continue with Afterburner----hopefully someone can hire him for something cool.

no, it was complied a couple months ago but not release until now.
Oh I figured it out. My build was from the Guru3D development thread. It was posted back in November. Unwinder said he put it on the main page for visibility yesterday. So I have had this version for awhile now it just wasn't widely known about.

Last edited:
The developer might be old enough to escape the current draft in Russia. Next draft order, who knows.

When I read the thread on form3d, I kept thinking that the developer knows that the FSB is probably reading all of his online posts, so he has to be very, very careful about what he says.

In any case, it's not easy to get out of Russia these days.

The developer might be old enough to escape the current draft in Russia. Next draft order, who knows.

When I read the thread on form3d, I kept thinking that the developer knows that the FSB is probably reading all of his online posts, so he has to be very, very careful about what he says.

In any case, it's not easy to get out of Russia these days.
why can't they pay him in Cryptos instead?

why can't they pay him in Cryptos instead?

Just because the means of payment changes doesn't mean the law no longer applies.

MSI's problem is not that they lack the ability to get money into Russia. I'm sure they can figure out many ways.

Their problem is that they don't want to be subject to sanctions for doing so. The legal repercussions are still going to be there even if they use beater bonds, or carry diamonds or gold bars, or pay in crypto. The method of payment is not the problem, the "bringing value into Russia" part is. It's not just if they try to electronically transfer funds.

Just because the means of payment changes doesn't mean the law no longer applies.

MSI's problem is not that they lack the ability to get money into Russia. I'm sure they can figure out many ways.

Their problem is that they don't want to be subject to sanctions for doing so. The legal repercussions are still going to be there even if they use beater bonds, or carry diamonds or gold bars, or pay in crypto. The method of payment is not the problem, the "bringing value into Russia" part is. It's not just if they try to electronically transfer funds.
seems if there's a will there's a way, legally

JPMorgan, Goldman exploited 'loophole' in Russia sanctions​

May 11, 2022 — Katie Porter of California, are questioning whether Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase are inappropriately exploiting a “loophole” in Russia ...

So MSI has all their eggs in this one basket in Russia. Wow. They need to strengthen their MSI center to do the same thing. This is silly.

seems if there's a will there's a way, legally

JPMorgan, Goldman exploited 'loophole' in Russia sanctions

May 11, 2022 — Katie Porter of California, are questioning whether Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase are inappropriately exploiting a “loophole” in Russia ...

Buying Russian bonds/etc sold to non-Russians prior to sanctions being imposed doesn't send any money into Russia. It's irrelevant as a way for a western company to pay someone in Russia.

This is the equivalent of buying debt of bankrupt countries/companies for pennies on the dollar gambling that at some point in the future circumstances might change and they'll get full book value when it's repaid. Tehy could make a killing on the deals or they could lose it all if Russia remains a parriah state indefinitely into the future.

Last edited:
So MSI has all their eggs in this one basket in Russia. Wow. They need to strengthen their MSI center to do the same thing. This is silly.

MSI had all 1 egg in a basket in Russia. Afterburner is a single developer project that MSI had been funding the development of to put their branding on. It was never theirs to begin with, it was just easier to contract to the person who already build the application than to create a copy from scratch.

Buying Russian bonds/etc sold to non-Russians prior to sanctions being imposed doesn't send any money into Russia. It's irrelevant as a way for a western company to pay someone in Russia.

This is the equivalent of buying debt of bankrupt countries/companies for pennies on the dollar gambling that at some point in the future circumstances might change and they'll get full book value when it's repaid. Tehy could make a killing on the deals or they could lose it all if Russia remains a parriah state indefinitely into the future.
What if a robot lawyer could analyze the sanctions logically to find a rock solid
Loophole of legality

Breaking down the sentences and structuring of visemes mesemes and prove the logic of arguments by validating that they follow through from premises to conclusions using truth tables

Everything in arguments can be broken down to 1 or 0

Attachments

• 03A0D7F0-2673-40E2-9B04-A47A45028CCF.png
    03A0D7F0-2673-40E2-9B04-A47A45028CCF.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 1
im sure youve already seen my other posts in the other thread, the guru3d forums host the dev forum for afterburner. guru3d is a legit source. why do you and other guy think we would try to point you to malware?!
Not sure who to trust, MSI does offer a download for 465 Beta 5. So there is an update but they also specifically say hey there’s a fake going around only download it from MSI. They make no mention of Guru3D, the build on the MSI site is also different than the one on the Guru3D site different file sizes with different compilation dates, the Guru3D build which is listed as final was compiled a full week before MSI’s build listed as Beta 5.

They need to get their shit together because the official source is straight up saying the Guru3D one is fake, and given the 2 versions are obviously different something stinks like a roadside outhouse.

the Guru3D build which is listed as final was compiled a full week before MSI’s build listed as Beta 5.
almost like a dev was working on it....

official source is straight up saying the Guru3D one is fake
except it doesnt. it says come to us only, doesnt name names.

again, why the fuck would we point you to malware?

"A note to other media outlets and unaffiliated third parties: Those attempting to deep-link and/or distribute our software by uploading it to their own servers should refrain doing so. Only Guru3D.com and MSI.com are legally allowed to distribute MSI Afterburner; the same is true for Rivatuner statistics server, Rivatuner CORE application, and RTSS-related files. "
MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 Download (guru3d.com)

Not sure who to trust, MSI does offer a download for 465 Beta 5. So there is an update but they also specifically say hey there’s a fake going around only download it from MSI. They make no mention of Guru3D, the build on the MSI site is also different than the one on the Guru3D site different file sizes with different compilation dates, the Guru3D build which is listed as final was compiled a full week before MSI’s build listed as Beta 5.

They need to get their shit together because the official source is straight up saying the Guru3D one is fake, and given the 2 versions are obviously different something stinks like a roadside outhouse.
I would posit that Guru3D's latest afterburner download is not fake or malware.

They are a very long running and trustworthy site. And the only place I have ever downloaded afterburner.

They are a very long running and trustworthy site. And the only place I have ever downloaded afterburner.
All well and good. I will wait until further information is available. Every single thing online is capable of being hacked and use for nefarious purposes. Guru3D is no exception, and right now this update isn't passing the smell test.

Maybe maybe not, MSI says not to download it from any place other than the MSI site, the "Final" version on the Guru3D site is also older than the official Beta5 build on the MSI site, so they aren't even the same version and the Final release build is somehow older than the Beta which also doesn't track.
So nothing is adding up, I mean if they were at least the same version of the software that would be something, but the Guru3D one is from April 11'th, while the MSI one is from the 17'th, so there is a full weeks difference there.

Nothing here adds up unless both teams fucked up royally, or one of them is lying.

I am the only guy authorized to sell you this bridge, me and the peoples republic of Canada, any other person trying to sell you this bridge is lying and they are not legally allowed to.

Which of these statements is correct, because they are mutually exclusive.
View attachment 565294
read my previous posts.
this is fucking retarded....

read my previous posts.
this is fucking retarded....
It is MSI and Guru3D should get on the phone and hammer out their stories, and while they are at it Guru3D should update their version because its a week older than the official one on the MSI site.

Maybe maybe not, MSI says not to download it from any place other than the MSI site, the "Final" version on the Guru3D site is also older than the official Beta5 build on the MSI site, so they aren't even the same version and the Final release build is somehow older than the Beta which also doesn't track.
So nothing is adding up, I mean if they were at least the same version of the software that would be something, but the Guru3D one is from April 11'th, while the MSI one is from the 17'th, so there is a full weeks difference there.

Nothing here adds up unless both teams fucked up royally, or one of them is lying.
Guru3d may or may not have an older build. But, its not fake or malware.

Guru3d may or may not have an older build. But, its not fake or malware.
But why is it the Final one, generally when you list something as final any further revisions get a number increment not a new beta of the same version number, So there shouldn't exist a 2.6.5 Beta 5 build newer than the 2.6.5 Final build, I am sure the Guru3D one is probably fine, but MSI and Guru3D are giving different versions while MSI actively states not to download it from Guru3D.

Are you the dev? If not, then you might be unwittingly pointing people to malware. Stop asking such a obviously stupid question.
Alexey Nicolaychuk is the developer of Afterburner, and he's posted on his website, Guru3D, saying that the new release available for download there is official.

Alexey Nicolaychuk is the creator of Afterburner and RivaTuner, and is a staff member of Guru3D, where those programs are developed. Guru3D basically seves as the official webpage of those programs.

Alexey posts on the Guru3D forums as Unwinder, and has confirmed the new release of Afterburner there.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-201#post-6123426

He's also made some posts on TechPowerUp as AlexUnwinder, and today posted in a thread there about the new release.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...finally-gets-a-big-update.307479/post-4997028

I get that we shouldn't download rando software from rando places, but Guru3D is where Unwinder basically "lives" online. The dude who made it says that version is legit. The odds of him being an imposter are about as good as MSI's version being less than legit due to disagreements with him. The two do need to have a chat either way.

most people that use it, know that ab has always been on guru3d....
Alexey Nicolaychuk is the developer of Afterburner, and he's posted on his website, Guru3D, saying that the new release available for download there is official.

Chiming in here to add in the chorus of reassurance to anyone wondering: Guru3d is, and always has been, an official source for Afterburner. The developer posts on the forums there as Unwinder if you want to see for yourself.

I mean there are a lot of moving parts here which make people skeptical. The MSI "non-payment," the MSI hack, MSI telling people not to download from anywhere other than MSI due to hack, and now a new version on guru3d.

If you didn't know the history of the developer and guru3d, it would make sense to stay away.

I'm still on beta 2. I should probably update it...

I mean there are a lot of moving parts here which make people skeptical. The MSI "non-payment," the MSI hack, MSI telling people not to download from anywhere other than MSI due to hack, and now a new version on guru3d.

If you didn't know the history of the developer and guru3d, it would make sense to stay away.

I'm still on beta 2. I should probably update it...
Not a new version a new old version, the new new version is only on the MSI site, the two sites are literally hosting different versions as the latest official release.

dont fucking make this personal, im fucking tryin to help you...
Thanks. But I don't need your help. You seem to be pushing this download heavily, and that makes me even more cautious.

Everyone else can do whatever they want, I'll wait until there is a clarification as to why there are conflicting stories.

This shouldn't bother you, but it seems to have lit a fire under you to debate its legitimacy. So thanks, but no thanks; I don't need your "help".

guru3d typically has the newest versions, thats where its developed, then they get posted on msi
But in this situation the opposite is true, Guru3D has the older version and MSI has the newer version.
It's just all so weird
Unless the MSI is actually an older version but was uploaded and built after in which again there is a strange communication problem.
But Guru3D announced the updated build on their Twitter page back on the 18th and nobody has found anything fishy with it since then so that is reassuring, but it makes me trust MSI even less, I mean they could at least include Guru3D in their message on their own site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back