After UK Privacy Probe Facebook Suspends WhatsApp Data Use

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although Facebook has stopped using WhatsApp data for what it called "advertisements and product improvement purposes," the UK's Information Commissioner explains in this blog post why there is still an ongoing active probe into WhatsApp's data collection.

Eight weeks ago I said my office would look into the approach WhatsApp had decided to take in sharing customer information with Facebook. It’s one of the roles of the Information Commissioner to pull back the curtain on how organisations use personal data, and I wanted to give you an update on what we’ve done so far. I had concerns that consumers weren’t being properly protected, and it’s fair to say the enquiries my team have made haven’t changed that view. I don’t think users have been given enough information about what Facebook plans to do with their information, and I don’t think WhatsApp has got valid consent from users to share the information. I also believe users should be given ongoing control over how their information is used, not just a 30 day window.

I've never used WhatsApp but right at the top of the ToS: Address Book. You provide us the phone numbers of WhatsApp users and your other contacts in your mobile phone address book on a regular basis. You confirm you are authorized to provide us such numbers to allow us to provide our Services.
I'll keep you safe by not using the program.

I've never used WhatsApp but right at the top of the ToS: Address Book. You provide us the phone numbers of WhatsApp users and your other contacts in your mobile phone address book on a regular basis. You confirm you are authorized to provide us such numbers to allow us to provide our Services.
I'll keep you safe by not using the program.

WOW. So I guess I know what to tell people when they wonder how their phone number got out. It's your asshole friends and their use of garbage apps!

Back