After Shut Down (yes I have made sure) System cold boots it's self sometimes

Elf_Boy

2[H]4U
The Ryzen system in my sig.

About 1/4 of the time I do a shutdown the system immediate cold boots with the beep and all.

Maybe a month or so back that it started.

Any thoughts or ideas what might be causing this?

System is otherwise fairly stable.

Disconnect the power switch from the motherboard and see if it continues. Just use the power switch to start the system, then remove the plug from the motherboard.

If it never tries to restart, the switch could be bad.

all "wake on" functions turned off in bios and os? try the switch test ^ and maybe another m/kb.

I'll pick up another power switch to test.

I dont like pulling things off while powered up. I'd prob pull the whole q connector off too with my luck.

I'll dig though bios this weekend -- with all the updates something could have changed.

Good ideas, thank you.

When you do a restart does it have the cold boot beeps as well? Has it always done this or did it start doing this recently?

Yes, the cold boot beep and everything.

It has not always done this. Maybe 2 months(ish)

I have an momentary switch in my apt somewhere, once I remember where (or go buy one) I'll open it up while it is off, and put it on the q-connector and try powering up with that to see if it is the real power switch that came with the case.

Whats weird is it just does it sometimes.

When I am at the windows log in screen after a shut down/ boot it has yet to do the reboot thing.

I have this happen on one machine. I will shut down and then immediately afterwards it will boot up again.

I'm pretty sure it's a motherboard problem. I replaced the CMOS battery but this didn't really help. Then I found that clearing the CMOS, using the jumper switch, can help for a bit.

Sometimes it will work for a few weeks and then happen again. I've disabled all the "wake on" features in BIOS, so I don't think it's that. The jumper seems to be the only thing that helps.

At this point, I mostly just sleep the computer (rather than shutdown) and this works more reliably, but still wakes sometimes. Not sure there is any ultimate solution for me, not sure if it's the same for you.

I have an momentary switch in my apt somewhere, once I remember where (or go buy one) I'll open it up while it is off, and put it on the q-connector and try powering up with that to see if it is the real power switch that came with the case.

When I am at the windows log in screen after a shut down/ boot it has yet to do the reboot thing.
Super weird for sure.

Try this--log out and let it go to the login screen and then shutdown from there. It might make a difference or it might now, but it's a different way to get to the same place in software, so if it's a software issue, this might help flush it out a bit.

This is why I miss the old fashioned power switches--you never had an issue like this back then...without something supernatural going on. :android:

Super weird for sure.

Try this--log out and let it go to the login screen and then shutdown from there. It might make a difference or it might now, but it's a different way to get to the same place in software, so if it's a software issue, this might help flush it out a bit.

This is why I miss the old fashioned power switches--you never had an issue like this back then...without something supernatural going on. :android:

Interesting.

I shall try that.

Look at wake on Lan and other wake on stuff in bios.

Also try shutting down with the Lan cable disconnected
These are good things to check as well. Specifically, if you have Intel Proset software installed, I'd try removing that and let the normal MS drivers kick in.

These are good things to check as well. Specifically, if you have Intel Proset software installed, I'd try removing that and let the normal MS drivers kick in.

Are you referring to WiFi drivers? I do have a WiFi/Bt only m.2 on the Ryzen, it is not populated. On ethernet for networking.

Are you referring to WiFi drivers? I do have a WiFi/Bt only m.2 on the Ryzen, it is not populated. On ethernet for networking.
Maybe. Intel drivers typically install a software called proset that apparently causes some havoc sometimes from different threads that I've read.

Try a live install of an alternate OS in order to isolate a hardware or a software fault.

I could always do a USB bootable linux.

That's what you're going to have to do.

The first step to diagnosing this problem is to isolate whether it's a hardware or a software fault as opposed to pegging crap at the wall to see if it sticks.

Is there only one way in software to tell the hardware to shut down? If so, then using a different OS will help.

But if Linux does it differently than Windows, it might still work fine on Linux and then turn back on with Windows, giving us no real insight into what's going on.

I usually just leave the switch disconnected and use a car key or flathead screwdriver to short the power on pins momentarily.

Nothing else on there would get damaged if you accidentally shorted it out while it’s off and your only need to be touching the pins long enough for the boot process to start

Is there only one way in software to tell the hardware to shut down? If so, then using a different OS will help.

But if Linux does it differently than Windows, it might still work fine on Linux and then turn back on with Windows, giving us no real insight into what's going on.

If it shuts down just fine under Linux but not Windows the issue is not a hardware issue. Yes, as an OS Linux shuts down differently to Windows, but the process used to command the system to shut down is identical.

If there's doubt and you have a spare HDD, install the spare HDD and install a temporary install of Windows. You can't begin diagnosing this fault until you what area to start looking at the very basics.

If it shuts down just fine under Linux but not Windows the issue is not a hardware issue. Yes, as an OS Linux shuts down differently to Windows, but the process used to command the system to shut down is identical.
That's how I thought it might have worked, but wasn't sure. (y)

Had a similar issue a few years ago...had something to do with my PSU (corsair ax1200i) ...for the life of me I cannot remember what I did to fix it unfortunately. I wanna say it was some sorta bug with c-states. Did you happen to flash your bios or update some mobo drivers around the time it started happening?

Had a similar issue a few years ago...had something to do with my PSU (corsair ax1200i) ...for the life of me I cannot remember what I did to fix it unfortunately. I wanna say it was some sorta bug with c-states. Did you happen to flash your bios or update some mobo drivers around the time it started happening?

I've been keeping up with the new bios updates for Ryzen, so yes. With a cmos button on the back it isn't too much of a pain to clear.

I've been keeping up with the new bios updates for Ryzen, so yes. With a cmos button on the back it isn't too much of a pain to clear.
Hmmm...upgraded anything recently? Like around when this problem surfaced?

I've been logging off and then shutting down so far no cold boots, since I only shut down 1/day or do weekdays and only once on the weekend may take a while to be sure.

I've been logging off and then shutting down so far no cold boots, since I only shut down 1/day or do weekdays and only once on the weekend may take a while to be sure.
Interesting. Can you try it the normal way and see if it turns back on again?

Same thing happens to me... windows 7 never had the problem... upgrade to windows 10.. sometimes when I go to start ->shut down.. after it shuts down it powers back on.

I hardly shut down my machine so I just deal with it. : / not very [H]ard, right ?

Recent info:

I updated my bios to the newest one on the Asus site a couple weeks back and the problem stopped --- until I ran the 5 way auto optimize tool two days ago.

I get a whole 6% off the auto OC tool along with the random cold boots after shut down. Interestingly I had run the tool before and it may well have been what started it the first time too.

Wonder what random setting is being changed to cause this.

Did you have Hibernation off before? Or Hybrid sleep.

I believe for me I had Hibernation off at one point and after an update or something it got enabled somehow. My Gigabyte board would usually show a code of 03 when coming out of sleep. then all the sudden 04 would show up after sleep or what i was thinking at the time was shutdown. In hybrid sleep the computer doesn't shutdown when you hit shutdown but rather go to into this hybrid sleep, also giving me the bios screen, the beep, and login screen when waking it up.

Back