After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Any sufficiently hyped product which is insufficiently stocked is indistinguishable from vaporware.

Maybe I should be grabbing some popcorn after all ^_^

What's everyone's thoughts on bit mining... will new nvidia cards come in with their next big shipment into a market of highly marketed up cards, I mean for awhile this morning on nvidia's own page newegg and amazon had several 3080 cards listed $1,500.00. If 3080 trends there that would be at Titan RTX prices (to which is matches or beats in performance) leaving 3090 which could with ease hit $2k mark at the old price of Titan RTX -- Which then makes more sense if we see at some point a $3k Titan Ampre I guess. Launch prices and stock, this is all before any sorts of mining push, again, if there is one.

I'm still skeptical of the VRAM of the 3080 in terms of paying a significant amount with the intent for it to last several years, so I'll be waiting. Ultimately I'm waiting for more than one choice in the poll, so it would come down to "Waiting for Larger GB Ampere Cards", "Waiting for 3090" or , "Waiting for Big Navi Launch", the last of which is what I formally chose. Considering what we've seen about some 4K performance to date not to mention future content, I'd really think that more VRAM will be useful in at least a significant amount of edge cases. I should preface this by saying I'm about due for an upgrade - I'm still running on my NV 1070 from years ago and it has served well.

I'm most eager to see what AMD offers and hope Big Navi / RDNA2 offers a card that is at least comparable in all around performance to the 3080 with either significantly greater VRAM (16gb rumored) , lower prices, or both. Ideally AMD would not launch without answers to Nvidia in terms of raytracing, DLSS, and other NV tech; in the past AMD's answers have always been the more open, platform agnostic alternatives which I'd prefer to support over Nvidia's continued reliance on the proprietary.

However, if AMD for whatever reason doesnt' deliver something compelling I remain open to Nvidia, both in terms of an updated 3080 w/ 16GB VRAM model if its performance and price proves justified, and also the 3090. I'm most interested to see the comparison in performance and price between the standard 3080, a hypothetical 16GB 3080, and the 3090. If the 3090's raw performance is sufficient and its VRAM provides benefits outside of a handful of outlier situations, then perhaps even at its price it could be useful. However, if it turns out that a hypothetical 3080 w/16GB is essentially equal or only marginally worse than the 3090 across most tasks save for pro-sumer "can take as much VRAM as you throw at it rendering in Blender et al" kinda uses, then the 16GB 3080 may prove to be essentially "as good" as the 3090 for likely $500 or greater discount!

Ultimately I really hope to see AMD bring something competitive, plenty of VRAM, and trading blows between the 3080 and 3090. Guess we'll see in a little while.

Maybe someone will sell a used 3080 for cheap on the FS forum.

Well only way this happens is if AMD doesn’t make anything bigger then Xbox die or may be little bigger 60 CU part. if it’s 80CU your educated guess is not very calculated and likely wrong.

My calculations are around power/thermal limitations.

If we believe their (up to) 50% perf per watt improvement claims and if they are willing to release a 350w monster the best we can hope for is 2080ti +40%, but both of those seem like quite a stretch to me, especially considering this is neither s major architecture redesign not a drastically shrunk process node.

We will see. I could certainly be wrong, but my best guess is that big navi will perform just about where Nvidia just moved the mid range to.

Reactions: kac77
like this
I love that I get the Newegg announcement email at 8:05am and the Nvidia email around 9:15am central time. Thanks for the shit attempt guys!

If we believe their (up to) 50% perf per watt improvement claims and if they are willing to release a 350w monster the best we can hope for is 2080ti +40%, but both of those seem like quite a stretch to me, especially considering this is neither s major architecture redesign not a drastically shrunk process node.

We will see. I could certainly be wrong, but my best guess is that big navi will perform just about where Nvidia just moved the mid range to.

I trust buidzoids calculation. Not a major rearchitecture? You must not be up to date on RDNA2, not trying to pick on you because you might have better things to do LOL. RDNA2 is very much a major architectural change. And it’s not up to 50%. It’s what they wanted to design. The rumor is it’s a actually 60% vs RDNA, the Zen team really helped out graphics team in the power department.

But this thread isn’t about this I guess and we can agree to disagree on this. Either way we shall find our and there shall be no [H] feelings if either one of us is wrong. Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm still skeptical of the VRAM of the 3080 in terms of paying a significant amount with the intent for it to last several years, so I'll be waiting. Ultimately I'm waiting for more than one choice in the poll, so it would come down to "Waiting for Larger GB Ampere Cards", "Waiting for 3090" or , "Waiting for Big Navi Launch", the last of which is what I formally chose. Considering what we've seen about some 4K performance to date not to mention future content, I'd really think that more VRAM will be useful in at least a significant amount of edge cases. I should preface this by saying I'm about due for an upgrade - I'm still running on my NV 1070 from years ago and it has served well.

I'm most eager to see what AMD offers and hope Big Navi / RDNA2 offers a card that is at least comparable in all around performance to the 3080 with either significantly greater VRAM (16gb rumored) , lower prices, or both. Ideally AMD would not launch without answers to Nvidia in terms of raytracing, DLSS, and other NV tech; in the past AMD's answers have always been the more open, platform agnostic alternatives which I'd prefer to support over Nvidia's continued reliance on the proprietary.

However, if AMD for whatever reason doesnt' deliver something compelling I remain open to Nvidia, both in terms of an updated 3080 w/ 16GB VRAM model if its performance and price proves justified, and also the 3090. I'm most interested to see the comparison in performance and price between the standard 3080, a hypothetical 16GB 3080, and the 3090. If the 3090's raw performance is sufficient and its VRAM provides benefits outside of a handful of outlier situations, then perhaps even at its price it could be useful. However, if it turns out that a hypothetical 3080 w/16GB is essentially equal or only marginally worse than the 3090 across most tasks save for pro-sumer "can take as much VRAM as you throw at it rendering in Blender et al" kinda uses, then the 16GB 3080 may prove to be essentially "as good" as the 3090 for likely $500 or greater discount!

Ultimately I really hope to see AMD bring something competitive, plenty of VRAM, and trading blows between the 3080 and 3090. Guess we'll see in a little while.

You will more likely see 20GB 3080 rather 16GB but I am fine with either. I am hoping AMD is the one with less power now and they start around 275-300 max and leave some OC headroom.

You will more likely see 20GB 3080 rather 16GB but I am fine with either. I am hoping AMD is the one with less power now and they start around 275-300 max and leave some OC headroom.
Since AMD has Powertune in the drivers they could have silent or energy efficient, Standard and then Ruby Speed. Standard follows the power rating of the card and Ruby can be anything AMD can support, even 350w which does not appear like the cooler would support but 300w maybe. It could be a cool way on having your cake and eating it to, having energy efficient, meet the specs and yet beat your competitor.

I still have the 3080 in my Nvidia Cart, clicking on it goes to Checking Out. . . which over a period time will go to a Lock symbol with words Checkout -> whatever that means, left that on for an hour and no change. Probably just a cookie running is all.

OMG. EVGA has removed all mention of the 3000 series from their site. I mean they pulled the whole product category. Gone. No pictures, no info, no store... the 2080 Ti is back to being the top billing. What in the hell?

EDIT - ok you can still get a few info pages if you click on graphics cards... but otherwise it's scrubbed.

Should do another poll with if you wanted one, did you get one. One friend building a new pc didn't.

Did anyone here get lucky yet and get RTX 3080 (other than on ebay)? How is it that ebay has so many users/people with so many cards, bots or not?

Nope. Saw cards in stock and then out as I added it to cart lol. Founders edition never came in stock. Looks like Mooreslawisdead was right, NVidia doesn't plan on selling many Founders edition cards and is just pushing people towards AIB cards.

I actually had notifications set for every card on Bestbuy.com, but I have yet to get any notification. I truly don't think they had them in stock. One I was able to add to cart before it was gone was for in store pick up on the 29th of Septermber. So It didn't look like they had any in hand, and the cards actually are still getting delivered later. The stock seems generally low for launch.

Sold my 1080Tis the day of the Nvidia press conference and ordered a FE card yesterday to hold me over until I can get a hybrid 3090 from EVGA.

I agree. Nvidia is selling Titan cards at mainstream prices (or trying to). They should be much faster given their size.

I bought a Evga RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra / 10G-P5-3885-KR for 979.00 Canadian dollars yesterday from Canada Computes in Ontario,was # order 26 out of 50 at my local shop..... each location had 2-4 cards each,ETA is 12 to 14 days,well before Cyberpunk 2077.Showed up at 6am ,2 plus dozen ahead of me in line. After they sold the 2 they got in Wednesday,they announced those willing to pay in full, in adv ,would be guaranteed a card within 2ish weeks But for pickup ONLY,no shipping.I paid and went home.

Last edited:
What's everyone's thoughts on bit mining... will new nvidia cards come in with their next big shipment into a market of highly marketed up cards, I mean for awhile this morning on nvidia's own page newegg and amazon had several 3080 cards listed $1,500.00. If 3080 trends there that would be at Titan RTX prices (to which is matches or beats in performance) leaving 3090 which could with ease hit $2k mark at the old price of Titan RTX -- Which then makes more sense if we see at some point a $3k Titan Ampre I guess. Launch prices and stock, this is all before any sorts of mining push, again, if there is one.

Huge no on Crypto for 3k series,check TechYesCity.

Brian says Ampere is shit for mining.

Huge no on Crypto for 3k series,check TechYesCity.

Brian says Ampere is shit for mining.

For now... hardly optimized yet. I think the best MH/W ratio on ETH was 2.2 with an undervolt. The 5700s still have the edge at this time.

I bought a Evga RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra / 10G-P5-3885-KR for 979.00 Canadian dollars yesterday from Canada Computes in Ontario,was # order 26 out of 50 at my local shop..... each location had 2-4 cards each,ETA is 12 to 14 days,well before Cyberpunk 2077.Showed up at 6am ,2 plus dozen ahead of me in line. After they sold the 2 they got in Wednesday,they announced those willing to pay in full, in adv ,would be guaranteed a card within 2ish weeks But for pickup ONLY,no shipping.I paid and went home.

So technically, you didn't buy one, you preordered one by paying in full ;).

Waiting to see Navi and a possible 3080ti in the future before I commit to anything.

So much this. Thinking the ti. Currently on an Asus 1080ti and am having no issues so far, but mostly am playing PoE at less than 4k. Maybe Zen 3 with 3080ti? 🤔

3080 FE Launch Day Survey!

The biggest consumer fraud perpetrated by Gensen the liar. Despite all his panderings and fiction this was a paper launch to stop the coming migration to the Radeon 6000 cards. They are barely producing any cards. The yields on the Samsung process are poor, but slowly improving. My guess is far less than 1000 cards were available for launch in North America. The bot story is either a fiction or gross exaggeration to take the heat off Gensen and Nvidia for launching a product not in the supply chain.

From knowledgeable people I know the 3080 and 3090 do not scale well for mining and the power draw can NOT be justified economically. Radeon 6000 will be far better at mining with a LOWER POWER DRAW. Facts not b.s.

AMD or bust here... been using them since 1998 and see no reason to change now...

Changed vote to see what AMD is going to have. Not going to bend over backwards to give a company money. If they want to sell me something then have something to buy. Not going to have tabs open, F5ing, bot setup, spend day after day searching etc. I just have much better things to do. Besides the 3080 I do not think will provide the gaming experience, particularly long term due to having only 10gb of memory.

Changed vote to see what AMD is going to have. Not going to bend over backwards to give a company money. If they want to sell me something then have something to buy. Not going to have tabs open, F5ing, bot setup, spend day after day searching etc. I just have much better things to do. Besides the 3080 I do not think will provide the gaming experience, particularly long term due to having only 10gb of memory.

The problem is, if AMDs chip is anywhere close to the 3080, expect the same thing to happen with their cards.

Scalping always was bad, but ever since the shoe industry took off for god knows what reason, they seeped into every other sector.

These instant sellouts are going to be the new norm.

The problem is, if AMDs chip is anywhere close to the 3080, expect the same thing to happen with their cards.

Scalping always was bad, but ever since the shoe industry took off for god knows what reason, they seeped into every other sector.

These instant sellouts are going to be the new norm.
One can hope AMD will have a large number of cards to sell out and take better precautions as well as pre-orders.

I think something positive is coming out of this, they are giving them more tools to fight the bots, Nvidia just did a dump and I saw confirmation emails from no less than 15 people in the channel and the links stayed up for over ten minutes. Once they set the bar high enough the other industries will have the blueprint to fight he bots. This encroachment in to scalping tech maybe a poison pill for them.

Yes,given I had to pay in full upfront its the same thing to me. No need to F5 for weeks or months,no stress, will get a card in under 2 weeks,likely less I was told. :)
Let us know when it actually arrives, I'd be curious how quickly cards are coming through the pipes.

JaysNoCents is busy making this shit about AMD on Twitter. Amd may or may not have the same problem but he shouldn’t be guaranteeing that shot for RDNA 2. He just can’t and won’t say anything harsh about nvidia. I would have more respect for him if he wasn’t so far up Jensens ass. He needs to lose viewers.

JaysNoCents is busy making this shit about AMD on Twitter. Amd may or may not have the same problem but he shouldn’t be guaranteeing that shot for RDNA 2. He just can’t and won’t say anything harsh about nvidia. I would have more respect for him if he wasn’t so far up Jensens ass. He needs to lose viewers.

AMD certainly is along for the ride with nVidia's launch -- Lisa Su tends not to follow, but lead, and learn from what many sources including watching people post or comments -- Just a guess, but, AMD will have a stronger launch with a little less drama (perhaps do a little better upfront with how things are going to roll out). Even bad press and talk, is still talk, nVidia seems to be OK with that.

Well Nvidia over promised and under delivered. One more card for them to make it right or seal their long lasting fate with the Ampere launch, probably the more important card as well, the 3070. When you can't even have enough $1500 cards not to sell out or become virtually in seconds out of stock, that is really sad. If AMD can capitalize on Nvidia lack of Ampere cards to buy is another thing.

Back