After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
loving the performance jump, but my cpu/mobo are older, so while i upgrade those see if they are releasing a 3080ti next year, and either get that or the 3080 when stock (and probably prices) are stable.

If those 20GB rumored dates were correct then I might be waiting but it just seems so unlikely they'd be released so soon (certainly not as early as October) the way it looks atm. Could always upgrade if anything unexpected pushes the memory in the next year or two.

Been chugging along with my EVGA 1070 FTW and am excited for the 3080; but will wait a month or two. Really really want to jump now... yet I remember being burned once when buying at launch and the prices dropped majorly a few weeks later. Figure it'll give a chance for any major issues to come up, too. Plus, I want to see more of the AIB partner options first; although I'm generally a fan of EVGA, so will likely stick with them. ;)

I just don't see a gap for 3080Ti between 3080 and 3090...
It just wouldn't make sense to make a card that's 95% 3090 power, and piss off 3090 buyers. It would certainly affect the next release and Nvidia has to consider that.

I have personal experience, since I went for Titan Pascal 4 years ago. Although I got to enjoy the absolute performance lead over 1080 for half a year before Ti appeared.

Titan Ampere seems like a very niche monstrosity, like the current RTX Titan.

I just bought a 2070 super. So I'm sure that in two and a half years, when I can rationalize spending as much money again.

Going to try for a 3080 FE but if I don't get it I'll sit on my 2080 TI for a while. Really just want that bump in 4k which is where that card looks like it shines, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go through on launch

Going to try for a 3080 FE but if I don't get it I'll sit on my 2080 TI for a while. Really just want that bump in 4k which is where that card looks like it shines, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go through on launch

Shines everywhere. Just not enough CPU to feed the beast

Not at this time. Money's tight, and I'm doing fine with my RX580 / Ryzen 5 2600X combo.

I won't upgrade until I'm ready to go all-out on 4K.

Based on my educated guesses looking at the numbers and the claims AMD have made to date, I am expecting the fastest big Navi to be closer to the 3070 than to the 3080.

AMD GPU's at this point are between a half and a full generation behind Nvidia. I'm not expecting that to change with Big Navi.

Well only way this happens is if AMD doesn’t make anything bigger then Xbox die or may be little bigger 60 CU part. if it’s 80CU your educated guess is not very calculated and likely wrong.

I'm going to be holding out for the yet-to-be-announced 3080Ti. Given the HUGE price gap between the 3080 and the 3090, I'm really skeptical that something won't be released at that ~$1k price point at a later date.

I need to target my mobo/cpu combo first. I'm gaming at 1440p/144hz, my 2080Ti is still working out wonderfully.

PS would need to be upgraded with the new card, and then the panel to be able to make proper use of the card... Might as well build a whole new rig at this point.

Exciting times!

Yea but given how less of a room there is between 3080-3090. With Ti or whatever it’s called I think you are just going to get 20GB of ram and may be 10% more performance best case. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nvidia just slaps 20GB of ram with same chip.

Doubt I'll ever buy Ngreedia again, really can't stand them as a company and that smug ass Jensen prick as well. The last Adored and last two MLID videos were spot on in my opinion. Hope AMD rolls out with all cylinders firing this time for fucks sake.

So anyone snag one?
It's been 13 minutes, never even got a chance to add anything to cart. No emails for any of the email notifications that I signed up for. Newegg, bestbuy and bphphoto are all still unusable and I don't think Amazon ever even showed any in stock.
That was fun. I'm going back to sleep. Godspeed everyone.

nope they never even showed in stock. the few that did... said cart error. there was never an available card from newegg, amazon, or best buy. what a joke.

Get ready for Big Navi!!

Because you ARE NOT getting Ampere.

Move along boys n girls

I haven't seen any Founders Editions available. The minute it hit 9am est Nvidia's website was showing out of stock.

This wasn't even a launch. There wasn't even a frenzy. It was just... nothing except for crashed websites or never showing any stock to begin with. What an absolute disaster. I doubt any GAMERS got anything.

Yea but given how less of a room there is between 3080-3090. With Ti or whatever it’s called I think you are just going to get 20GB of ram and may be 10% more performance best case. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nvidia just slaps 20GB of ram with same chip.

I think we'll know a bit more once 3090 benchmarks are out, in terms of the actual performance differences between the two, but I think we'll see this unannounced card be closer to the 3090 in performance, but maybe 8-10 months later. Given the price points, it sure looks to me like they're positioned to do what they've done with all the previous Ti versions (minus Touring).

If I'm wrong, then that's alright too, 3090 it'll be eventually. Plenty of other things I'd need to address in the meantime, and it gives me time to watch the dust settle after the initial rush. Glad I did with the 2080Ti and the whole memory/dead card debacle.

If RTX 3090 and 3070 kicks off the same with cards in-stock, but only on ebay (and like) for crazy amounts -- and some how AMD not only launches, but, has launch day stock ready of a somewhat competitive line of cards -- it will be advantage AMD. It will not surprise me if the rumors hold true and Ampre has little to no stock until into March 2021.

$1500 3080's right off nvidia website, lol...
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/gpu/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3080

If RTX 3090 and 3070 kicks off the same with cards in-stock, but only on ebay (and like) for crazy amounts -- and some how AMD not only launches, but, has launch day stock ready of a somewhat competitive line of cards -- it will be advantage AMD. It will not surprise me if the rumors hold true and Ampre has little to no stock until into March 2021.
AMD won't have stock at launch. I can't remember a launch they did.

There were apparently 12, 3080 at my local microcenter for this nvidia launch. When I did the Vega launch at microcenter there were 4 ( I did get one). And Vega launch wasn't in any type of Covid hardship. There was no real reason for so few cards then.

Managed to get an XC3 (Gaming or Ultra not sure) in my cart on evga's site but it crashed before I could access cart

$1500 3080's right off nvidia website, lol...
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/gpu/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3080

Lol and people were/are adamant that AMD is stupid for waiting to launch in October.

I have a strong feeling my rig is going to have Big Navi in it simply because AMD has thier shit together.

Looks like mooreslawisdead wasn’t kidding. It was founder edition never even saw that shit in stock. Beast buy or Nvidia, I guess my browser never saw them. I did see some aftermarket cards on Best Buy but when I hit add to cart they are were out lol. Looks like Best Buy doesn’t save the card when you add it to cars. Evga model was available for store pick up on the 29th no shipping so i was wondering if was the same for others. But it was sold out while I was going through check out steps. Looks like Best Buy doesn’t reserve the cart when you are checking out.

Did anyone actually get one? Newegg was down for me and nvidia never changed from notify me.

maybe the ceo has more hidden in his kitchen somewhere?

There were apparently 12, 3080 at my local microcenter for this nvidia launch. When I did the Vega launch at microcenter there were 4 ( I did get one). And Vega launch wasn't in any type of Covid hardship. There was no real reason for so few cards then.

It's certainly been awhile since we had stock at launch -- Though AMD has done pretty well with CPU's overall at or near launch.

nViidia's own website, 3080's (some) are $1,500.00 each now from newegg, amazon, etc...

neither of them have in the last 5-6 years the chips have gotten so damn big that they're producing far less of them per wafer(same problem intel has).. TSMC's gotten spread pretty damn thin over the years as well, with samsung joining the fray producing nvidia's gpu maybe it'll improve. also with Apple going to the 5nm process and huawei out of the picture could also help AMD.

ultimately though price and availability are likely going to be my deciding factors on what i end up going with but i'm perfectly fine with my vega 56 right now. if i have to wait a few months then so be it.

I will try to snag a 3080 FE now but have plenty of friends who will buy it if Navi knocks it out of the park. Ergo, the real answer is waiting for Navi.

Newegg was getting hit hard..I wasn't buying but wanted to see the impact..I kept on getting error saying due to load etc....

Can we take back all these Moore's law slander now? Also, a real question to people that sold their 2080s, what is the next move for you?

Edit: Hey yall, I got my Nvidia notification email on the 3080. It was sent 17 minutes after it came in stock. No issues here /s

Last edited:
Can we take back all these Moore's law slander now? Also, a real question to people that sold their 2080s, what is the next move for you?

Edit: Hey yall, I got my Nvidia notification email on the 3080. It was sent 17 minutes after it came in stock. No issues here /s

Lol man, are you living under a rock?

I always thought his article made too much sense. Given nvidia doesn’t like selling cheap. I saw 0 founders edition. Best Buy or nvidia. No notification. Was on both pages refreshing. Never in stock. Phantom out of stock lol. I did see some AIB pop up on eBay but they were all out of stock quick. Evga 3080 was 699.99 and I added it to cart but was only available for in store pickup where the ship it to store for whatever reason on the 29th so wasn’t in stock really. But ran out of stock before I could check out. Best should reallt reserve your cart for 10-15 mins or when especially if you are elite plus member, jerks lol.

So looks like Nvidia is just letting AIBs lead here. Also moorlawisdead reported they are getting $50 cash back for month of September to move cards.

They need to just do pre orders or something. I tried the second they were available. Was even able to add one to my Best Buy cart but when I hit check out with Apple Pay it just said please return to cart and select shipping method, which is nonsense, and that was how long it took for them all to be gone.

Back