After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Winter is Coming...and anyone with a 400+ watt video card will enjoy their warm gaming room. But, once the seasons turn, then what?

I'll wait for the reviews. And Big Navi.

I won't be getting a 3080. I want more "GB's" so if I can't manage to get a 3090 FE within a reasonable amount of time after it's launch, i'm waiting for rumored 20GB variant of the 3080/Super/Ti (whatever they happen to call it) which also likely means I'm not buying this year. I'm a 1440p gamer for the foreseeable with a 1080Ti so while the "upgrade itch" will be quite intense, from a practicality standpoint, gaming enjoyment really won't be an issue while I await the "perfect card"

Is there a time set these sales go live? or do we need to check from midnight on.

I have a 1080TI that is already overkill for the games I play at 1440P 165Hz (they are old games, most are 10+ years old). At this point, I won't upgrade to a new GPU unless mine actually fails. In fact at this point, I am not upgrading anything unless it fails.

Is there a time set these sales go live? or do we need to check from midnight on.
I was informed 10am Central time on Thursday. I am fairly sure that is correct.

Waiting for the 3090 launch. The 3080 looks like a good card, but it was never really something I considered. I want something to max out Cyberpunk and I don't expect the 2080 ti to do it, so I hope the 3090 delivers the goods.

Well. 15-20% more goods may be if it scales right.

I might get 3080 tomorrow if Best Buy has them in stock. I might sell if big Navi delivers for once to jump to amd, because I still expect people to be paying for these lol. I am excited about everything right now. Cheering for some good competition.

I considered 3090 for bragging rights but Nvidia doesn't deserve that much money from my wallet. I might have allowed them to rape my wallet for 40-50% more performance then 3080 for 1500 but shits not even that much faster on paper to demand more than double the price. 1000 might have been better price. I am not even fucking sure where they place the 3080 ti/super since 3080 is not that much cut down. I fee like its just going to be 10% more cuda cores and 20GB of ram. I feel like Nvidia is selling GDDR6X memory with higher SKUs lol.

I do think thoguh 3080 is worth the price though, i can't hate on it. Hope AMD surprises with a competitive card that sucks less power to be on the flip side of things. I didn't think they woudl have a shot to catch up in one gen, but the field is wide open for them.

Last edited:
I will wait to see the big picture .. a Ryzen 3600 replacement at $200 MSRP would be a tasty treat as I have PCI Express 4.0 cards to play with for now but I can see that being the next big thing.

I'll go with the 3070. Rocking a 3600 and a 1060 right now. Setup works, but at the 3070 pricepoint, why the hell not.

Big Navi, if Big fail then higher GB 3080. 3090 if i cant find any of the other ones in stock. LG CX needs to shine.

Big Navi, if Big fail then higher GB 3080. 3090 if i cant find any of the other ones in stock. LG CX needs to shine.

Based on my educated guesses looking at the numbers and the claims AMD have made to date, I am expecting the fastest big Navi to be closer to the 3070 than to the 3080.

AMD GPU's at this point are between a half and a full generation behind Nvidia. I'm not expecting that to change with Big Navi.

Waiting to see what comes out with the AMD camp before making my mind up who gets my video card bucks. Fortunately my 1080 Ti will keep me going fine until I decide on a new card.

I really hope the announced pricing for these cards is real, and will return GPU pricing back to something closer to the old norms. Will likely be buying amd, but I want an upgrade for my 580s that doesn't cost $500. /Dreams

I find power tools have a much better ROI. Bosch makes good shit.

They do, you can use them for years and years and they just keep working with no problems. No slow downs or anything. 1" of wood cuts the same way year after year.

They do, you can use them for years and years and they just keep working with no problems. No slow downs or anything. 1" of wood cuts the same way year after year.
I might be harder on my tools than that.
But to be fair I swear at my computer less.

I wait for the Big Navi launch first, and then snatch 3070 if AMD does not deliver anything comparable. I just realised that 3080 would be too much for my 500w PSU that is in my ITX build. It would run but it would be close to maxing out and it wouldn't be healthy in the long run.

The price/performance ratio of the older generation not-quite-as-expensive graphics cards doesn't actually look that bad to me, even at 4k.

I'll take the non-existent option "waiting for the cheaper big navi/ampere cards" or get a (used) 5700xt if they drop to around $250 within the next few months.

Reactions: travm
like this
The price/performance ratio of the older generation not-quite-as-expensive graphics cards doesn't actually look that bad to me, even at 4k.

I'll take the non-existent option "waiting for the cheaper big navi/ampere cards" or get a (used) 5700xt if they drop to around $250 within the next few months.
I had exactly this same thought. Will be an interesting next two months.
I honestly hope this pricing announcement from Nvidia isn't just a take a loss and put the screws to AMD cause we can, and in 6 months prices will be back to North of $600 across the board. Titan/ti at 2k.

Leaning towards the 3080, still using the pc I put together back in 2009 so I need to do a new ground up build. The gpu and monitor are the two components that I still go back and forth on.

I'm going to be holding out for the yet-to-be-announced 3080Ti. Given the HUGE price gap between the 3080 and the 3090, I'm really skeptical that something won't be released at that ~$1k price point at a later date.

I need to target my mobo/cpu combo first. I'm gaming at 1440p/144hz, my 2080Ti is still working out wonderfully.

PS would need to be upgraded with the new card, and then the panel to be able to make proper use of the card... Might as well build a whole new rig at this point.

Exciting times!

Waiting to see if there will be a 3080 Ti, and I'm also curious what sort of horse AMD will bring to the GPU race in coming months. My heart sank when I read Brent's review of the 3080 as he suggests at least an 850w PSU that is newer. My 850w is seven years old and my newer build has a 750w evga. Guess I could use the spare case downstairs for a competely new build when Zen3 hits but I've been looking at vehicles. Zoom Zoom or Boom Boom? ARRGH!

My price point is 500$. Coming from dual 7970s, it's time to upgrade, and it's all good. The 30x0 series looks damn good, but if the street price is going to be significantly higher, or AMD has a more compelling offering at that price point, my money will go else where. Really happy with what I saw architecture wise. At this point it's nvidia's sale to lose

Definitely buying something this year. Will wait to see what AMD has in its lineup, but my 480 is dragging its feet. I'm impressed with the 3080, but would like a couple more GB of memory, even if it's currently not needed and also want an AIB card as I enjoy overclocking and the Nvidia release cards look power limited from what i've read. Still performance is stella and a massive step up over my current card.

I have to be up to deal with my offshore scrum team tomorrow at 6am, needless to say the first few minutes I will be late ;)

I was a mumbling coffee slamming mess this morning jibbering about pods needing to have a separate store to contain drift with my offshore teams.
iPad off in the corner not muted blasting 3080 reviews.
I was musing how platforms will have their own methods and it’d be a mess to assume 1 massive nested template would deploy properly across multi-cloud.
1 dude wanted to know if I’d order him a 3080 and send it to him, and clearly cared about work as little as I did.

Titan X Pascal in my main desktop and a small pile of older mining cards. No hurt waiting a bit...

That said, I may saunter down to Microcenter to heckle a few scalpers.
I see nothing on thier pages about it. Perhaps I've misunderstood the nature of this launch.

Last edited:
Im going to see if I can get the 3080s today. If I can't Ill just wait for navi and see.

I will try for a 3080 tomorrow. It is a tremendous upgrade from my 1080 and there is nothing I am playing in the near future that will have problems with 10GB. A few months from now my wife will upgrade her PC and generally does not want an expensive card. If in a couple of months the AMD option is attractive, or a 3080 with more VRAM is out, I will get it and give my 3080 to my wife who will enjoy it as an enormous upgrade over her 780. If not then we will get a second 3080 for her.

Well CAD prices are out, so like $90 + over the exchange rate of $699 USD...

1600321223205.png

I was not planning on picking up a 3080. However, I want to see how long it takes EVGA to release their hydro copper card. Might give me an idea on the 3090 wait time.

I was a mumbling coffee slamming mess this morning jibbering about pods needing to have a separate store to contain drift with my offshore teams.
iPad off in the corner not muted blasting 3080 reviews.
I was musing how platforms will have their own methods and it’d be a mess to assume 1 massive nested template would deploy properly across multi-cloud.
1 dude wanted to know if I’d order him a 3080 and send it to him, and clearly cared about work as little as I did.

Can totally relate, except I'm more like the Bruce Willis type hung tf over character the next day on the phone sipping the warm beer from last night.

Our Exec gave out his PUBG username today, I'm telling you man, the 3xxx series has people hyped.

performance gain was what i expected, not the bullshit 50%+ crap. but i'm not going to waste my time fighting it out to get an early card so i'll just wait for big navi before deciding what i want.

Good decision to be honest, I think Big Navi is going to definitely have better power numbers thanks to TSMC and might even top 3080 raster performance. If it beats 3080 by 10-15% with 12-16 gb vram and costs $700-$800 I'll grab it immediately, AMD drivers be damned. If AMD goes really crazy and creates a "Surprise Get Jebaited NVIDIA" Biggest Navi ™ that can take on 3090 with 16-20 gb vram and costs $900 I'll grab it. I have this really strong feeling there's going to be a lot of salty 3080 owners that will be making tons of excuses, especially about it's higher power consumption, 10 gb vram and so on. As good as this thing looks because of the price, it just didn't wow me at all.

Last edited:
Back