After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Honestly if I didn't have c9 oled I wouldn't be in a rush to buy any gpu...the 3080 is a little blah vs the 2080ti and the 3090 is getting pricy unless it's amazing so probably waiting to see what amd has got

Snagged a 280ti for $375 the other day. So going to run that until BigNavi announcement. Then figure out which one I want to go with. I'll sell this one for about the same price or so and purchase the new card when I see benchmarks for them and availability.

Honestly if I didn't have c9 oled I wouldn't be in a rush to buy any gpu...the 3080 is a little blah vs the 2080ti and the 3090 is getting pricy unless it's amazing so probably waiting to see what amd has got

If the 3090 had two variants (24 gb and 12 gb) and the 12 gb was $1000 I'd have bought it on day one. Unfortunately NVIDIA decided not to go this direction (yet) so there's nothing to buy for most 2080 Ti owners (except those who prematurely panic sold theirs).

Pretty sure I'm going to get an AIO 3080 but I'm also interested to see the 3090 results at 4K.
I may pull the trigger on a 3080 FE if I can get one to hold me over and then sell it for an AIO 3080/3090 when they're out.
I'm hoping AMD has something to show because nVidia really does have us all by the balls and this 'generous' pricing will likely not last.

Regarding power I have an ancient Corsair HX1000W supply I've been using for about 11 years...
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-hx-series-cmpsu-1000hx-1000w/p/N82E16817139007
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Professional-Series™-HX1000 –-80 PLUS®-Certified-Modular-Power-Supply/p/CMPSU-1000HX#tab-tech-specs
This does make me a bit nervous...
I have to wonder if there is a failure if it will take everything down with it or just give up the ghost (hopefully not dramatically) and I'll replace it, and life will go on.

I would get a newer single rail as that old HX1000 is a dual rail design. These larger tdp gpus will tax those limited rails hard.

I"m still rocking a launch AIB 1080 and just bought two 27" 1440p 144hz monitors last week for work and I'll be picking up a new 4k TV with HDMI 2.1 sometime here in the next couple months so I'm definitely going to try to get my hands on a 3080 tomorrow. The 1080 doesn't really do it for me at 1440p.

just gonna try for an FE as the OC results look like more power does not equal more performance, so waiting for a 400w board might not make any difference.

The 3080 looks good, but I want to see 3090 reviews to get the full picture.

Honestly, my 2080 Ti is still doing fine, and I play mostly older games anyhow, but there are a few big ones coming soon (namely Cyberpunk 2077) I would like to play with all the effects.

Would also like to see all the cards available, especially AIB versions, so no launch day purchase for me.

Holding off this year. The 1080Ti is still suiting me ok.. and I just spent like $30k getting my in-ground pool removed/backfilled, new fence, and over 1000sq.ft of cement work. lol
Pity you didn't tell me. I'd have done it cheaper. Tsk tsk.

My 1080ti needs to be upgraded and after double checking I realized my error. For $700-$800 RTX3080 does not make sense for 1440p, if you already rock a 1080ti or higher.

The $500-600 RTX3070 would be a better choice, but only after seeing what AMD provides. Lastly, with Consoles going for $500-600 and 3070's being above a console, I find the better solution for everyone without 4K 120fps setups to get a 2080ti for at most $500 shipped off the forum.

I just need someone to sell me a 2080ti for comparison vs. my 1080ti.

edit: I was wrong and had to rewrite things

Last edited:
performance gain was what i expected, not the bullshit 50%+ crap. but i'm not going to waste my time fighting it out to get an early card so i'll just wait for big navi before deciding what i want.

I didn’t see an “other” option. I’m hoping the good price and performance of these cards gives me some good used options.

I would get a newer single rail as that old HX1000 is a dual rail design. These larger tdp gpus will tax those limited rails hard.
I've thought about that and it says each 12V supply does 40A each.
The PCIe spec says 150W max per 8-Pin connector, so assuming it can actually deliver 150W on each of the 12V rails, that's less than half below the max for each rail.
Obviously I haven't been following power supply design, hence the 11 year old device, but I'm guessing it was simply an efficiency and size limitation at the time which led to dual rail supplies. Sure that means twice as many components which can fail when compared to their single rail contemporaries but I'm not sure of the pitfalls of ultra high output single rail modern supplies.
My fear really is failure modes and if they'll take out anything else in the system or if these things are designed to fail gracefully. It's a bit worrying to stress out an old supply like this, but on paper I don't think it's a loading issue since it's well within guardband.

I've thought about that and it says each 12V supply does 40A each.
The PCIe spec says 150W max per 8-Pin connector, so assuming it can actually deliver 150W on each of the 12V rails, that's less than half below the max for each rail.
Obviously I haven't been following power supply design, hence the 11 year old device, but I'm guessing it was simply an efficiency and size limitation at the time which led to dual rail supplies. Sure that means twice as many components which can fail when compared to their single rail contemporaries but I'm not sure of the pitfalls of ultra high output single rail modern supplies.
My fear really is failure modes and if they'll take out anything else in the system or if these things are designed to fail gracefully. It's a bit worrying to stress out an old supply like this, but on paper I don't think it's a loading issue since it's well within guardband.

That HX1000 is literally two 500w psus combined. It was a shit design back then, imagine now. The problem rears its head when you start using higher powered devices. A single 3080 will draw 300w or higher. 500-350, doesn't leave much room for anything else. Thus you'd run your system on one rail and a single gpu on the 2nd rail. This psu was sold as a 1000w, but in reality it could never run a 1000w system being limited to less than 500w per rail. It worked ok if you didn't push it with overclocking or needed more than 500w for a single device.

Waiting for 3090 launch and reviews to compare with 3080. 2080, and 2080 Ti.

That HX1000 is literally two 500w psus combined. It was a shit design back then, imagine now. The problem rears its head when you start using higher powered devices. A single 3080 will draw 300w or higher. 500-350, doesn't leave much room for anything else. Thus you'd run your system on one rail and a single gpu on the 2nd rail. This psu was sold as a 1000w, but in reality it could never run a 1000w system being limited to less than 500w per rail. It worked ok if you didn't push it with overclocking or needed more than 500w for a single device.
Ah, gotcha, that is problematic.

Bought a 2080ti just about a year ago and I'm sticking with it. Very curious to see what the 3090 looks like but I've spent too much money on life events recently so I doubt I'll even think about getting one.

I voted to wait for the 3090 launch but if I find a 3080 FE at Best Buy tomorrow I'll go ahead and snag it.

I'm going to hold out until AMD gets their cards out and and Nvidia gets more cards out so we have a better idea where everything sits, if I do go Nvidia I'd like to maybe hold out for the higher VRAM models. It is a little hard holding off though since I've really wanted to upgrade since getting a new monitor last summer but nothing seemed like a good option and this actually does seem to be worth the price.

Will try for a 3080 FE for the hell of it. If not, it's no big deal. I'm not spending more for 'inferior' AIB models that I'll just strip the cooler off anyways.
If you're planning to watercool keep in mind that the FE isn't the reference model and might not have as many waterblock options.

As a RX480 owner I shall wait till after xmas to pick up a used 2080 or such impregnated with gamers tears.

Going to be ready early tomorrow (9 am ET, I'll be up for HOURS by then) hoping to snag one. Have my eyes on the Founder's Edition but would be satisfied with either an XC3 or FTW3 (both EVGAs, both on the smaller side of 3080's). MSI Ventus, ASUS TUF and GB Eagle all fit too but are ugly as sin. I would grab one either way.

Going to do the same next week (more limited in my 3090 options, only a couple models fit off the top of my head) and take those couple days to think about it. I would REALLY like the in-between card (3080 Ti ish) but at this point I wouldn't care taking a hit of a few hundreds dollars and not have to wait for said 3080 Ti to come.

Point is I'm on a 1080Ti still because of the 2080 Ti price (made more sense to put that Fun Money towards a new piano) and it's not pushing it anymore at 3440x1440@120.

With my luck the choice should be really easy (no card at all or only one of the two).

Now back to the reviews.

Reactions: erek
like this
Going to be ready early tomorrow (9 am ET, I'll be up for HOURS by then) hoping to snag one. Have my eyes on the Founder's Edition but would be satisfied with either an XC3 or FTW3 (both EVGAs, both on the smaller side of 3080's). MSI Ventus, ASUS TUF and GB Eagle all fit too but are ugly as sin. I would grab one either way.

Going to do the same next week (more limited in my 3090 options, only a couple models fit off the top of my head) and take those couple days to think about it. I would REALLY like the in-between card (3080 Ti ish) but at this point I wouldn't care taking a hit of a few hundreds dollars and not have to wait for said 3080 Ti to come.

Point is I'm on a 1080Ti still because of the 2080 Ti price (made more sense to put that Fun Money towards a new piano) and it's not pushing it anymore at 3440x1440@120.

With my luck the choice should be really easy (no card at all or only one of the two).

Now back to the reviews.

Coffee? :coffee: :coffee: ?

1080ti will still keep me warm this winter. Next year, after all the other models and the Navi competition come out.... and maybe some price breaks, we'll see

Right now I have no complaints with 4K gaming on the 1080ti. Cyberpunk might change my mind though

Coffee? :coffee: :coffee: ?

I'm usually the one making the coffee around here. I usually get up around 4h30-5h (yes even on my days off) so the second pot is ready when the house wakes up.

Downtown is a ghost town with all the offices closed/working in limited capacity etc. I might go see if there are any campers at CC or BB just for the sake of it and be home with time to spare.

Waiting for the 3090 numbers. I sold my 2080 Ti because gaming performance was not ground-breaking at 4K.

The 3080 looks to be "Slightly less not ground breaking". FE overclocks look to be quite disappointing. I'm hoping the 3090 allows for a much bigger jump over the 2080Ti, and 24GB for Blender Optix rendering is going to be amazing.

Screw it, I've been on the GTX 980 long enough (almost five years!), I'm going for an RTX 3080 tomorrow, even if I have to camp outside the nearby Best Buy to get it before all the scalpers do.

The 3090 is just out of my price range, and I have concerns about the 3070's mere 8 GB of RAM. 10 GB would put me a bit more at ease.

My 1080ti needs to be upgraded and after double checking I realized my error. For $700-$800 RTX3080 does not make sense for 1440p, if you already rock a 1080ti or higher.

The $500-600 RTX3070 would be a better choice, but only after seeing what AMD provides. Lastly, with Consoles going for $500-600 and 3070's being above a console, I find the better solution for everyone without 4K 120fps setups to get a 2080ti for at most $500 shipped off the forum.

I just need someone to sell me a 2080ti for comparison vs. my 1080ti.

edit: I was wrong and had to rewrite things
Tell Cyberpunk that.

Yeah, I'm not buying a Corsair block.

First choice would be Heatkiller, but they are Usually slow to market after launch, so I may be forced to go with EK instead.

They have announced non FE blocks thus far, and I'm hoping FE ones aren't far behind.
EK did tease an FE waterblock for the 3080.

RnN5fbegRAtobrDmRQ347G-650-80.jpg.webp

Performance on the 3080 seems more than I need. But my PC is watercooled, so debating between a 3070 on air since I haven't seen any 3070 waterblocks yet, or jumping to a 3080 and being way overpowered. Keeping my mean to be temporary 5600XT is also an option, as these cards aren't cheap and the AMD card is doing pretty much everything I need for now.

Performance on the 3080 seems more than I need. But my PC is watercooled, so debating between a 3070 on air since I haven't seen any 3070 waterblocks yet, or jumping to a 3080 and being way overpowered. Keeping my mean to be temporary 5600XT is also an option, as these cards aren't cheap and the AMD card is doing pretty much everything I need for now.

My rule of thumb is buy the best GPU you can. Don't settle.

I am sitting out this round. Unless there is a killer game coming out (None that excite me at least so far...) my 2080ti will be just fine for me. I don't game at 4K, 3440x1440 is a perfect resolution for me. I'll do what I used to do years ago and wait a few years so I can see a big performance increase. It's a shame that SLI/Crossfire is no longer a thing (Technically it is and a few games support them) normally I would get another 2080ti and SLI them for a few years. But those days (IMHO) are long gone.

2080 super is fine. Will be swapping the 7700k for an intel 10700k though and then calling this box "done". in a few years I build a new one from scratch.

Back