After Ampere Launch Survey

After Reading/Viewing Ampere Launch Reviews I Am Going To Be.....

• Buying a 3080 FE or AIB card

• Waiting for 3090 Launch

• Waiting for Big Navi Launch

• Waiting for 3070 Launch

• Waiting for larger GB Ampere Cards

• I am not buying anything this year.

Results are only viewable after voting.
JaysNoCents is busy making this shit about AMD on Twitter. Amd may or may not have the same problem but he shouldn’t be guaranteeing that shot for RDNA 2. He just can’t and won’t say anything harsh about nvidia. I would have more respect for him if he wasn’t so far up Jensens ass. He needs to lose viewers.

I love after 2 half assed NVidia launches in the space of a week he's now on twitter trying to deflect the spotlight from this fact. Wonder if he has a 30k tv en-route compliments of the Leather Jacket. :bored:

I love after 2 half assed NVidia launches in the space of a week he's now on twitter trying to deflect the spotlight from this fact. Wonder if he has a 30k tv en-route compliments of the Leather Jacket. :bored:

If you dont sell the product, you dont get the free cards. Dont want to get that call that they are reconsidering giving you launch samples due to your lack of loyalty.

You are talking about the company that tried to gag all bad press through the GPP, you either lick their boots or get the spatula.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.

The problem is, if AMDs chip is anywhere close to the 3080, expect the same thing to happen with their cards.

Scalping always was bad, but ever since the shoe industry took off for god knows what reason, they seeped into every other sector.

These instant sellouts are going to be the new norm.
You are dead wrong. AMD will not have a paper launch. Unlike the Samsung foundry ,that Nvidia gets their wafers from , which has poor yield of good dies, AMD gets their 7nm EUV wafers from TSMC, which has much higher yields, and will have no problem filling demand. Expect 50,000 graphics card available on launch day not a couple hundred like Nvidia. Not only AMD's card has a significantly lower power draw which leaves more room for overclocking. I will gladly wait another 6 weeks for the AMD cards to be available for order, Better rasterizing performance, lower prices, and better availability. These cards are already in production and now AMD is fine tuning driver performance so they will be in good shape out the door unlike the 5000 series launch. The driver development team for Radeon has greatly expanded in the past few months in anticipation for RDNA2 released cards. My prediction by the end of the year Radeon groups market share will be increasing at the expense of Nvidia. AMD is already preparing additional cards to kick ass on the Nvidia 3000 series Super cards. Lisa Su is a master of organization and Radeon is turning on a dime disrupting Nvidia's near monopoly in the gaming space.

I posted this in another thread but I don't think it will be as bad.

1). Not as many people are looking for AMD cards. Their market share shows this to be true.

2). Mining ROI isn't where it needs to be to make these attractive.

3). They haven't set a release date yet (at least not publicly), and they anticipate higher stock to meet demand.

4). There is still the stigma of the drivers whether or not it is justified or not. I personally never had a problem, but some people won't touch it until they know for sure one way or the other.

While I didn't personally buy Navi or the Radeon VII from AMD, they were both available on launch day when I looked. They might sell out but I don't think the window will be as small.

I posted this in another thread but I don't think it will be as bad.

1). Not as many people are looking for AMD cards. Their market share shows this to be true.

2). Mining ROI isn't where it needs to be to make these attractive.

3). They haven't set a release date yet (at least not publicly), and they anticipate higher stock to meet demand.

4). There is still the stigma of the drivers whether or not it is justified or not. I personally never had a problem, but some people won't touch it until they know for sure one way or the other.

While I didn't personally buy Navi or the Radeon VII from AMD, they were both available on launch day when I looked. They might sell out but I don't think the window will be as small.

1). Agreed
2). I'm not sure about this, right now the 5700 is THE card to have for mining perf/watt. If RDNA2 is more power efficient, and it has an amazingly fast cache system, I wonder if they will be a miners dream. Honestly, I wouldn't be to confident on this one as like I said, the cards it's replacing are currently considered the best perf/$/watt.
3). After this NVIDIA launch, they may have A.) more time to prepare than they though, and B.) more people who were going to buy NVIDIA anxioulsy waiting on AMD cards to drop.
4). There driver issues aren't the biggest problem, it's how long it takes them to acknowledge and fix issues when they are brought to attention. If they didn't ignore things and fixed them you know... in less than a years time, the stigma would probably go away. It is not that many people, but by ignoring the problem and allowing the issue to get overblown, it's their own fault for not handling it better. Hopefully this release is better and nvidia set a pretty low bar for them, so I think they have a much better shot at not looking like the fools this time around.

ps. Honestly it was a pretty good list, but couldn't help myself with commenting on it ;). I also think the stock will be limited, but not 3080/3090 limited. Luckily my computer still runs fine, so I'm in no rush and will wait to see how everything plays out before buying a new card. I mean, I can afford one anytime, but I am not keen on being a first adopter and dealing with these shit shows. Sometimes it's ok to be patient and not impulse buy.

IF AMD released first. People would have bought AMD simple as that.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. There is definitely a bias toward Nvidia in some circles.

Edit: Whether or not it's justified is a matter of perspective. Some would argue that it's a more polished product and has features unavailable on AMD/Intel.

Last edited:
1). Agreed
2). I'm not sure about this, right now the 5700 is THE card to have for mining perf/watt. If RDNA2 is more power efficient, and it has an amazingly fast cache system, I wonder if they will be a miners dream. Honestly, I wouldn't be to confident on this one as like I said, the cards it's replacing are currently considered the best perf/$/watt.
3). After this NVIDIA launch, they may have A.) more time to prepare than they though, and B.) more people who were going to buy NVIDIA anxioulsy waiting on AMD cards to drop.
4). There driver issues aren't the biggest problem, it's how long it takes them to acknowledge and fix issues when they are brought to attention. If they didn't ignore things and fixed them you know... in less than a years time, the stigma would probably go away. It is not that many people, but by ignoring the problem and allowing the issue to get overblown, it's their own fault for not handling it better. Hopefully this release is better and nvidia set a pretty low bar for them, so I think they have a much better shot at not looking like the fools this time around.

ps. Honestly it was a pretty good list, but couldn't help myself with commenting on it ;). I also think the stock will be limited, but not 3080/3090 limited. Luckily my computer still runs fine, so I'm in no rush and will wait to see how everything plays out before buying a new card. I mean, I can afford one anytime, but I am not keen on being a first adopter and dealing with these shit shows. Sometimes it's ok to be patient and not impulse buy.

The problem with mining ROI right now is that a Big Navi card is probably comparable to the 3080 just with less power required while mining. I'd guess it will come in around 100-120 MH/s. At that rate, it is making $3-4 a day BEFORE power/cooling costs. If the price is $499, then you're looking at 125-167 days to recoup the investment before you pay for power. If the ROI is over 120 days, a lot of big miners won't touch it. Realistically, even with cheap power and heading into winter, you're looking at a 180 day ROI. I'd be looking at cheap used 5700's rather than brand new 6900's. If you're mining anything other than ETH right now, you're better off with Nvidia as they seem to have more development with alt-coin algos.

Supposedly, AMD is taking this launch much more seriously with drivers to have less issues. Let's hope that's the case.

Last edited:
The problem with mining ROI right now is that a Big Navi card is probably comparable to the 3080 just with less power required while mining. I'd guess it will come in around 100-120 MH/s. At that rate, it is making $3-4 a day BEFORE power/cooling costs. If the price is $499, then you're looking at 125-167 days to recoup the investment before you pay for power. If the ROI is over 120 days, a lot of big miners won't touch it. Realistically, even with cheap power and heading into winter, you're looking at a 180 day ROI. I'd be looking at cheap used 5700's rather than brand new 6900's. If you're mining anything other than ETH right now, you're better off with Nvidia as they seem to have more development with alt-coin algos.

Supposedly, AMD is taking this launch much more seriously with drivers to have less issues. Let's hope that's the case.
except it's coming up on winter time for North America and mining is "free" heat.

In 2017/2018 winter I had about 50-60 cards running and I didn't have to use the gas heat unless the the temperature was significantly below freezing. The cards heated my whole house. In fact when down to about 40* I left a window open in the basement through mid December in order to keep the house from getting so hot it'd run us out of there. I have a 3,400 square foot house, so that amount of cards was producing some signifcant heat. I put them near the HVAC furnace and set my nest to turn on the fan every 1/2 hour. The cards heated up the HVAC utility room so hot when I would work on my systems I'd actually be dripping sweat after a while.

It was about $500 for electricity, but natural gas would have normally cost me $200-250 ish and so it offset my gas bill with the "free" heat generated by crypto mining (which of course was mining for it's own money).

The upcoming cold season plays in for seasonal miners. If cards were very accessible, I might pick it back up again and sell the cards in the spring. (of course the tax implications put into the Federal Tax forms made it a lot less lucrative to play in the crypto space IMO)

Last edited:
You are dead wrong. AMD will not have a paper launch. Unlike the Samsung foundry ,that Nvidia gets their wafers from , which has poor yield of good dies, AMD gets their 7nm EUV wafers from TSMC, which has much higher yields, and will have no problem filling demand. Expect 50,000 graphics card available on launch day not a couple hundred like Nvidia. Not only AMD's card has a significantly lower power draw which leaves more room for overclocking. I will gladly wait another 6 weeks for the AMD cards to be available for order, Better rasterizing performance, lower prices, and better availability. These cards are already in production and now AMD is fine tuning driver performance so they will be in good shape out the door unlike the 5000 series launch. The driver development team for Radeon has greatly expanded in the past few months in anticipation for RDNA2 released cards. My prediction by the end of the year Radeon groups market share will be increasing at the expense of Nvidia. AMD is already preparing additional cards to kick ass on the Nvidia 3000 series Super cards. Lisa Su is a master of organization and Radeon is turning on a dime disrupting Nvidia's near monopoly in the gaming space.

I really hope this is true because of I am sick and tired of Nvidia's monopoly.

I voted waiting for bigger GB cards, but that still means I won't be buying anything this year. I doubt I could anyway due to availability. Besides the crashing issues and the complete lack of OC on the initial batch of AIB cards makes me want to wait for revision 2 products anyway.

I voted waiting for bigger GB cards, but that still means I won't be buying anything this year. I doubt I could anyway due to availability. Besides the crashing issues and the complete lack of OC on the initial batch of AIB cards makes me want to wait for revision 2 products anyway.
It is Nvidia Ampere's architecture which does not leave overhead for overclocking. The transistors are too densely packed on 8nm Samsung node. . That means a whole lot of heat to get a higher clcok speed. Too much heat is the enemy of overclocking. Perhaps a liquid cooled 3080 will have more success. Kaching add $175 to $200 more for factory liquid cooling. If Nvidia could revise Ampere for TSMC 7nm+ node it could overclock much higher, but that capacity is not available to Nvidia. AMD has it all locked up between Ryzen 5000 series production and MD Radeon RX 6000 series. Bad decisions by Gensen and Nvidia to pay less for Samsung wafers. Yes, lower costs but inferior product. In addition the transition even if capacity is available would take over 6 months to accomplish. I am afraid Nvidia fanboys will haveto wait for the next generation and hopse Nvidia learns from their folly of refusing to pay the higher wafer cost at TSMC.

Back