After almost 10 Years, Building a new Rig, Need some advice

Michael G

n00b
Hi,

Finally getting around to building a new PC. My box is used for data crunching more than for gaming which is why I'm not going video card crazy. Nonetheless there are a few areas of concern so it would be good to get some feedback before investing the money. There are a few specific questions at the bottom I'd love people to weigh in on, other than that, any feedback on incompatibility issues or just plain problematic parts I didn't catch would be great -

I'm somewhat partial to EVGA because of the warranties they give ( 10 yrs ) my old machine has had failures and with the lifetime warranty on the parts they gave back then I have made out well. The MB I picked from EVGA got so so reviews though so I'm leaning toward MSI

Rig -

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black/Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black/Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

MB: - A or B
A - MSI MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION LGA 1151
MSI MSI Gaming Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
B - EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR LGA 1151
EVGA Z170 Classified K 142-SS-E178-KR LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel® HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

Primary Storage (OD Drive) :SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW - Newegg.com

Power Supply : EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 80 PLUS Platinum 1200 W 10 yr Warranty
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1 80 PLUS Platinum 1200 W 10 yr Warranty ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continous Power Supply - Newegg.com

Ram : CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) Desktop Memory Model CMD64GX4M4B2800C14 - Newegg.com

Video (Maybe) : EVGA GeForce GTX 970
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card - Newegg.com

Questions about Ram -

1. Back the last time I did this around 2007, I was very careful to pick Ram that was a speed that was a true multiple of FSB speed, I had a Yorkfield Q9450, FSB was 800, so I chose DDR2 800 (PC6400) DDR2, which matched up because it was 2 channel and DDR2.

I still like this idea, of not having an odd duck 4/5 multiplier, but does this matter, and how would you calculate it properly for DDR4 - They don't even mention FSB speed in the articles I read on the Net about the chip anymore. Do I need to care about this at all?

2. The DDR4 2800 seems to have better latency / timing than the DDR3200. Which is the better way to go? Definitely getting 64GB if that's a factor.

Questions about video - Current card in my old rig is a GTX 660 Ti

3. Caught between getting the card listed, springing for a TI version or just using my really old card I have in my current rig and upgrading when the next gen (pascal) card when it comes out.

4. I have 3 monitors, and a 1080P tv as a fourth. Being I don't game much, I use is as an entertainment center. These new MB all have multiple HDMI ports, can I use these to drive my 2 side monitors and have the NVIDIA card drive my center and TV? With windows 10, will the onboard video work at the same time as the NVIDA.? Current rig has 2 NVIDIA cards to support his, I like the idea of not needing a second card.

Cooling -
Do I need a water block cooler for this CPU?

Additional Info:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Not much gaming, but data crunching with scale-able multi-threaded custom app - Need the Ram and more cores could help.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3K tops, but not looking to throw money away, taxes and shipping included

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Brooklyn NY

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Ram, Primary Storage (an M2 SSD), CASE, Motherboard, Power Supply
Originally was thinking Video but feeling at this point I can reuse my GTX 660 Ti

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. at this point I can reuse my GTX 660 Ti, to be upgraded later

6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080P 42 inch Tv, and 3 1680 x 1050 samsung panels

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next 2 to 3 weeks unless someone gives me a compelling reason to wait

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s?
eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Need 4 Sata3 for a raid 10, 1 sata for a blue ray burner, and would like one unused, (primary storage will be in M2 slot)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes - 64 bit windows 10

Thanks so much for any feedback

Mike

Last edited:
This should be in the hardware section.

These CPUs do not have a FSB or northbridge for that matter. IMC and PCIe have been thrown onto the CPU. You are better the cheaper RAM or whichever looks better, performance will be indistinguishable.
Why not go LGA2011?

My recommendation be below. The 970 is pointless unless you need usable analog video output. If you monitors have digital DVI or DP, get an ATI video card.

The CPU is fine with a good air cooler. NEVER buy one of the prebuilt "watercoolers", they are trash that waste money and are no quieter or cooler than quality air. If you want water, do it right. If not, get a heatsink.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (rev. 1.0) ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #2: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #3: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #4: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #5: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #6: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #7: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #8: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W S12G-750 ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 950 PRO MZ-V5P512BW ($326.98 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC Alnitak-BK ($26.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $1,177.74
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Hi,

Finally getting around to building a new PC. My box is used for data crunching more than for gaming

What specific type of data crunching do you do? Please list specific applications, and how long you have to wait for data to be crunched. You might want to upgrade to the 5820k

Also, do you overclock?

Questions about video - Current card in my old rig is a GTX 660 Ti

3. Caught between getting the card listed, springing for a TI version or just using my really old card I have in my current rig and upgrading when the next gen (pascal) card when it comes out.

4. I have 3 monitors, and a 1080P tv as a fourth. Being I don't game much, I use is as an entertainment center. These new MB all have multiple HDMI ports, can I use these to drive my 2 side monitors and have the NVIDIA card drive my center and TV? With windows 10, will the onboard video work at the same time as the NVIDA.? Current rig has 2 NVIDIA cards to support his, I like the idea of not needing a second card.

The GTX 660 Ti supports four outputs simultaneously. I'm not sure why you think you need two cards to do this.

Yes, you can wait until later to upgrade your video card. I can't see why you'd do it TODAY, since the 660 Ti can still handle moderate gaming at 1080p in new games.

Cooling -
Do I need a water block cooler for this CPU?

You NEVER need a water block cooler for a CPU. A cheap Hyper 212 plus will do jut fine, even with a light overclock applied. It's only when you're shooting for the moon with top overclock that you need to consider something in the $60 range.

Water cooling is a personal choice, and a waste of time and money for most. And cheaper closed-loop coolers have been shown to not be any better than heastink/fan.

Last edited:
Michael G, please answer the questions in the sticky post first.
Asking for Build Help?: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST

From what it sounds like you use your computer for, it seems like you would be wasting a lot of money from the parts you selected. You could use a 600W power supply in that configuration, for instance, and if all you use your computer for is a media center than 64GB of memory is way too much.

Ok ditch the power supply for something around 500w (80+gold)
I have a 520w cooler master v series with more things to drive than you listed and it does perfectly fine managing that.

Re ram, skip the 3200 and go the 2800, you won't notice the difference the vast majority of the time.

The 970 isn't pointless as it can do Cuda and video encodes. Both of these could be helpful in your use case.

You don't need a water cooler for the CPU, basically any reasonable heatsink will do the trick. I like noctua but they are on the expensive side (I have a noctua Nh-d15 for reference).

Do you need more ram? The 5820k will handle up to 128 gig, and has 2 more cores.

What specific type of data crunching do you do? Please list specific applications, and how long you have to wait for data to be crunched. You might want to upgrade to the 5820k

Also, do you overclock?

I have a custom built data application that I can scale depending on the number of cores I have, the amount of time I wait depends on the load, but its mostly floating point and a fairly large amount of string data at times. This is the main driver for getting that much Ram, but there seems to be some disagreement as to if 5820k / LGA2011 is actually an upgrade. Perhaps for me this is the right move though because of more cores.

The GTX 660 Ti supports four outputs simultaneously. I'm not sure why you think you need two cards to do this.

Yes, you can wait until later to upgrade your video card. I can't see why you'd do it TODAY, since the 660 Ti can still handle moderate gaming at 1080p in new games.

I did not realize I could do this - EVGA sent me the 660Ti when my original card bit the dust, but it looks like I can do exactly as you say as long as I get a display port adapter - Thanks

You NEVER need a water block cooler for a CPU. A cheap Hyper 212 plus will do jut fine, even with a light overclock applied. It's only when you're shooting for the moon with top overclock that you need to consider something in the $60 range.

Water cooling is a personal choice, and a waste of time and money for most. And cheaper closed-loop coolers have been shown to not be any better than heastink/fan.

Seems to be a universal opinion, thank you

Michael G, please answer the questions in the sticky post first.
Asking for Build Help?: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST

From what it sounds like you use your computer for, it seems like you would be wasting a lot of money from the parts you selected. You could use a 600W power supply in that configuration, for instance, and if all you use your computer for is a media center than 64GB of memory is way too much.

Thanks
I answered the sticky questions ( I updated the original post)
The 64GB ram is because of data crunching with custom app described above.

As far as the PS, lots of recommendations to go smaller... Seems like the biggest question is
5820K vs 6700K

This should be in the hardware section.

These CPUs do not have a FSB or northbridge for that matter. IMC and PCIe have been thrown onto the CPU. You are better the cheaper RAM or whichever looks better, performance will be indistinguishable.
Why not go LGA2011?

My recommendation be below. The 970 is pointless unless you need usable analog video output. If you monitors have digital DVI or DP, get an ATI video card.

The CPU is fine with a good air cooler. NEVER buy one of the prebuilt "watercoolers", they are trash that waste money and are no quieter or cooler than quality air. If you want water, do it right. If not, get a heatsink.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-SLI (rev. 1.0) ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #2: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #3: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #4: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #5: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #6: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #7: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Memory #8: Avexir 8GB Budget Series ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W S12G-750 ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: SAMSUNG 512GB 950 PRO MZ-V5P512BW ($326.98 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC Alnitak-BK ($26.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $1,177.74
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Thanks for you feedback - a few general questions -

The mobo has some interesting reviews on Newegg, this jumped out:
Cons: - M.2 slot only has 2 PCI-E lanes, not the required 4 in order to unleash the full speed of a Samsung 950 PRO, for instance.

Have you used this board with that type of drive?

What has been your experience with this Avexir Ram?

Thanks !

Since more cores are advantageous, the 5820k would be my recommendation. Sounds like your application can use lots of ram too so this platform is a better fit.

The question then becomes what motherboard. I confess I don't have a lot of experience in this particular area (s2011-3 motherboards)

I do however personally have leanings towards Asrock motherboards due to the value they represent and the fact that you can bank on vt-d support/general compatibility,

Thanks for you feedback - a few general questions -

The mobo has some interesting reviews on Newegg, this jumped out:
Cons: - M.2 slot only has 2 PCI-E lanes, not the required 4 in order to unleash the full speed of a Samsung 950 PRO, for instance.

Have you used this board with that type of drive?

What has been your experience with this Avexir Ram?

Thanks !

You should be able to put the SSD into a PCIe card. If you get a card, make sure to research the bootability. Otherwise, get a different motherboard. I just got that one as an example.
RAM is RAM. It will work fine; I haven't owned that brand but it is just usual DDR4.

To answer your questions:

1) Not realy.

2) Whatever is the cheapest route from a solid manufacturer. It doesn't matter too much either way.

Other people have answered 3 and 4 quite well. Do note that Dominator RAM are never really worth it unless you can prove with 100% certainty that your application will benefit from it. Otherwise, go with a cheaper option.

As for the build that rabid7 posted, I really don't recommend that build due to the RAM, PSU, and case choice.

Considering that we're not talking about some cheap budget build and your planned use, I'd spend the extra cash for RAM from a more reputable manufacturer. In addition, your situation may require faster RAM than DDR4 2133. To hedge our bets a little, I recommend going DDR4 2666. Just get four of this Corsair 2 x 8GB DDR4 266 set and you'll be fine:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R - Newegg.com

As for the PSU, that is a good quality PSU. However, that $80 price is actually the after-rebate price. It's actual up-front price is $105 shipped. Not really worth it at that point since the slightly higher quality and modular eVGA 750 G2 is $100 shipped from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-220-G2-0750-XR/dp/B00IKDETOW/

Then there's the case: I'm unfortunately intimately familiar with the Chinese OEM behind that case. It's a piece of crap in every way. As you said, you're not looking to throw money away. Spending the $27 on that cheap crappy case is indeed throwing money away despite how cheap it is. I recommend spending a bit more money for a far far better case. I recommend the following (pricing is outdate by three months though):
$75 - NZXT S340 Black ATX Case
$65 - Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Case
$70 - Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black w/ Window ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Case
$100 - Thermaltake Core V51 Black ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$100 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case
$110 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_WT White Full Tower Case
$103 - Antec 1100 V2 ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Case
$136 - NZXT Phantom 530 Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Graphite Series 730T ATX Case
$150 - NZXT Phantom 630 White Windowed Full Tower ATX Case
$150 - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case
$158 - NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Full Tower Case
$170 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T Arctc White Full Tower Case
$180 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Full Tower Case
$180 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T White Full Tower Case
180 - Corsair Graphite 780T Black ATX Full Tower Case
$190 - Corsair Graphite 780T White ATX Full Tower Case
$230 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To answer your questions:

1) Not realy.

2) Whatever is the cheapest route from a solid manufacturer. It doesn't matter too much either way.

Other people have answered 3 and 4 quite well. Do note that Dominator RAM are never really worth it unless you can prove with 100% certainty that your application will benefit from it. Otherwise, go with a cheaper option.

As for the build that rabid7 posted, I really don't recommend that build due to the RAM, PSU, and case choice.

Considering that we're not talking about some cheap budget build and your planned use, I'd spend the extra cash for RAM from a more reputable manufacturer. In addition, your situation may require faster RAM than DDR4 2133. To hedge our bets a little, I recommend going DDR4 2666. Just get four of this Corsair 2 x 8GB DDR4 266 set and you'll be fine:
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R - Newegg.com

As for the PSU, that is a good quality PSU. However, that $80 price is actually the after-rebate price. It's actual up-front price is $105 shipped. Not really worth it at that point since the slightly higher quality and modular eVGA 750 G2 is $100 shipped from Amazon:
Amazon.com: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 220-G2-0750-XR: Computers & Accessories

Then there's the case: I'm unfortunately intimately familiar with the Chinese OEM behind that case. It's a piece of crap in every way. As you said, you're not looking to throw money away. Spending the $27 on that cheap crappy case is indeed throwing money away despite how cheap it is. I recommend spending a bit more money for a far far better case. I recommend the following (pricing is outdate by three months though):
$75 - NZXT S340 Black ATX Case
$65 - Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Case
$70 - Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black w/ Window ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Case
$100 - Thermaltake Core V51 Black ATX Case
$100 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$100 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case
$110 - Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_WT White Full Tower Case
$103 - Antec 1100 V2 ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Full Tower ATX Case
$110 - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Full Tower ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Case
$136 - NZXT Phantom 530 Black Full Tower ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Graphite Series 730T ATX Case
$150 - NZXT Phantom 630 White Windowed Full Tower ATX Case
$150 - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Case
$158 - NZXT Phantom 630 Gunmetal Full Tower Case
$170 - Corsair Graphite Series 600T Arctc White Full Tower Case
$180 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T Black Full Tower Case
$180 - Corsair Graphite Series 760T White Full Tower Case
180 - Corsair Graphite 780T Black ATX Full Tower Case
$190 - Corsair Graphite 780T White ATX Full Tower Case
$230 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Case

Very Helpful Feedback - a few questions.

1. The general consensus drove me to rethink for LGA2011-V3, but the X99 chipset sounds like its imminently to be replaced,
Is it worth waiting for the next gen?

I am trying to pick a motherboard and landing here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627&IsNodeId=1&Description=lga2011-v3%20i7&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-157-540%5E13-157-540%2C13-157-543%5E13-157-543%2C13-132-261%5E13-132-261&percm=13-157-540%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B13-157-543%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24%3B13-132-261%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24

Leaning toward this one: ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty X99X Killer LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

2. On the case comment, that was about the one suggwested by rabid7. Any comment on the case I had in my original build? I kinda like it unless there's a reason it is inferior that I dont see -

Thank You

Very Helpful Feedback - a few questions.
1. The general consensus drove me to rethink for LGA2011-V3, but the X99 chipset sounds like its imminently to be replaced,
Is it worth waiting for the next gen?
u

No, Broadwell-E is coming out in 6 months. it will use the same x99 platform, just like Ivy-E

The only major upgrade that's bringing is a rumored 10 core part, but the price is expected to jump to $1500, far beyond the price of any previous "Extremely Expensive" edition chip :D

So don't expect any price breaks, since Intel's 14nm process is still a raging house fire one year later. The 5820k is still the best value multi-core processor we'll see for several years!

"We have the capacity we need and the ability to scale as needed,” after canceling their new 14nm fab, and admitting there's only one production fab being converted for 14nm :D

Intel: We Have All 14nm Capacity We Need - X-bit labs

We're going to be waiting on full production runs of 14nm for fucking forever. This won't delay Kaby Lake of course, but good luck FINDING it for sale anywhere.

Last edited:
defaultluser is correct. Not worth waiting for.

As for the motherboard, I've worked with all three motherboards actually and they're great motherboards. But you haven't written anything where it would convince me that the Fatal1ty X99X Killer is a good choice for you. Flip a coin between the remaining motherboards. With that said, that X99 Extreme4 is a good motherboard...

As for the case, the Fractal Design XL R2 is a pretty good case for the most part. But theres a few things about it that makes it a poor choice for the money IMO:
1) Its original MSRP was $130 IIRC. Not only is it $10 higher, neither Newegg or Amazon offers free shiping on that case which increases the price even more. At $130 shipped, it's a good choice. Any dollar higher and it's a poor choice for the money due to better quality cases for similar pricing.
2) Lack of pre-installed standoffs. A minor thing to be honest but it's pretty much common on good to high-end cases for the standoffs to be pre-installed to save the user time, effort. and less risk of the user screwing it up.

To further exacerbate the issue #1, the smaller but just as quiet if not quieter Fractal Design R4 is $70 shipped right now:
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case - Newegg.com

I do not think the Xl R2 is worth the extra $60 over the R4 unless you're actually using an eATX motherboard.

I was going to say that ECC is more or less necessary if you want to crunch data accurately but oh well...

The motherboards are just a waste of money if you're not going to overclock, just go either of these instead. They have all bells and whistles including Intel LAN instead of some crap Killer NIC and whatnot.

Google
ASUS H170M-PLUS/CSM LGA 1151 Intel H170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com (2133Mhz max on memory)

CPU is fine

Unless your application is very intensive I/O this is most likely is going to be overkill, Samsung 850 Pro and you wont really notice a difference at all during regular desktop usage and offers 10y warranty compared to 5y.
SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE512BW - Newegg.com

The eVGA PSU s Dangman suggest is a solid choice and really good value if the MIR works. This is also a very good option-
XFX TS Series P1-750G-TS3X 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

As far as memory goes I'd be very hesitant to go over 2400 if you're going to utilize all 4 slots irregardless of motherboard, I'd definitely stick to stock voltage.
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-2666MHz-CMD16GX4M2A2666C15/dp/B0134ETCY8/ref=sr_1_51?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458296079&sr=1-51&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:677429011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:10656894011,p_6:ATVPDKIKX0DER (uses stock 1.2V instead of Dangman's suggestion that uses 1.35V which isn't "standard" voltage) - 110$ each right now
I'd also vouch for going for a more rep brand such as Crucial, Corsair, Kingston etc.

Unless you're going to have lots of HDDs just go for the R4 case, it's a better choice price/performance-wise.

Regarding the video card, Asus Strix is what I would recommend to keep the noise down.

Last edited:
The eVGA PSU s Dangman suggest is a solid choice and really good value if the MIR works. This is also a very good option-
XFX TS Series P1-750G-TS3X 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207033

Only a $2 difference between the two PSUs once you factor in shipping.
As far as memory goes I'd be very hesitant to go over 2400 if you're going to utilize all 4 slots irregardless of motherboard, I'd definitely stick to stock voltage.
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-2666MHz-CMD16GX4M2A2666C15/dp/B0134ETCY8/ref=sr_1_51?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458296079&sr=1-51&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:677429011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:10656894011,p_6:ATVPDKIKX0DER (uses stock 1.2V instead of Dangman's suggestion that uses 1.35V which isn't "standard" voltage) - 110$ each right now
I'd also vouch for going for a more rep brand such as Crucial, Corsair, Kingston etc.
Look again. The voltage on the Corsair RAM I linked is 1.2V. You can see this backed up over at Corsair's website:
Vengeance® LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C16 Memory Kit - Red (CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R)

Not to mention that the RAM you've linked is Corsair's Dominator RAM which are rarely, if ever, worth buying. Did you mean to say the OP's suggestion? He did link to 1.35V RAM Corsair Dominator RAM.[/QUOTE]

Ahh my bad, I mixed up 16Gb / stick, the Dominator series and user posted. Sorry >_<
However your suggestion halves the amount of memory so I guess it's up OP. :)

Dangman and diizzy - I got a bit side tracked and want to finalize this, I'd like clarification on 2 things:

1 - Case - I like this one (the smaller version of what I picked )
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case - Newegg.com
I usually go big on cases but this looks good - Do you think this will be OK with 4 HGST 4 TB NAS Deskstars in there fo a storage raid?
Definitely has the space, I am thinking more along the lines of cooling / airflow etc

2 - Motherboard I think I settled on this - pretty good reviews and looks featue packed
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

I am a bit unclear on diizzy comment
"As far as memory goes I'd be very hesitant to go over 2400 if you're going to utilize all 4 slots irregardless of motherboard, I'd definitely stick to stock voltage."

My board above has 8 slots, Id like to use four slots and so 4 x 16 for 64GB so I can add later and go to 128 if I want - Will this work?
Why not go over 2400, and it seems like everyone thinks 1.2V is better for me than 1.35 if im not planning to overclock - is that correct? What are advantages and disadvantages of different voltages?

Thanks for all your help guys great stuff!

What I'm concerned about is stability and high memory frequencies + many memory modules doesn't usually go hand in hand. Also, with that mount of memory I'd sure would want ECC memory as memory corruption isn't fun.

1. That case is fine for cooling that many hard drives.

2. Diizzy's concern in terms of voltages and frequency are valid IMO. But I don't think ECC RAM is needed unless this is for a business or academic use.

Just wanted to confirm the quality of EVGA's SuperNOVA G2 series. Very, very nice.

As always, thanks for your recommendations Dangman!!

Also, be very careful about using RAID on the builtin controller.
Any particular reason? Is this a general warning about onboard raid? or something specific to X99? I been using the on board raid with my ICH9R chipset for almost a decade and never had any problem so I am curious, thanks -

Any particular reason? Is this a general warning about onboard raid? or something specific to X99? I been using the on board raid with my ICH9R chipset for almost a decade and never had any problem so I am curious, thanks -

The problem with onboard raid is that it is typically specific to a bios, or a controller and if things go south, you need to find used parts to replace the old parts. Plus, it's software raid so slow. For raid 1 this is of marginal concern, as you have a mirror, but for other raid types it is asking for trouble

Back