After a few weeks of Lollipop--LolliPOOP!

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
At first all was well, Android seemed faster, etc.

Now EVERYTHING is slow as sheet and my battery life is tanking.

Anyone else having these issues?

Redo from scratch in my opinion. It sounds like an app may be causing the issues? Just a guess but I have a HTC One M8 for Windows so I have not personally seen this issue.

What phone are you using? Most people with issues have either cleared the cache or done a factor reset to resolve any bugs with things not playing nicely with Lollipop.

I would do a factory reset, its a huge change over previous Android releases

Lolipop was terrible for me too. I cleared my cache, did a reset, etc, etc and it was garbage. Switching back to KitKat made me realize just how terrible it is. Don't bother messing with it and just reflash KitKat.

Lollipop has major bugs, much of which has been addressed in Android 5.1 (which has already been released in Indonesia).

I think the memory leak (requiring restarts to fix) and increased battery drain (esp. in standby and when using wifi) have been fixed. Reports are positive on 5.1 thus far. 5.1 will probably end up being closer to what I figured 5.01 would have been... :(

I'd either re-flash a good KitKat ROM, or just wait for 5.1 and hope it's good.

Redo from scratch in my opinion. It sounds like an app may be causing the issues? Just a guess but I have a HTC One M8 for Windows so I have not personally seen this issue.

not to threadjack, but I have a question:

do you have the issue where data connection is lost when moving from wifi to LTE? I get this frequently and the only way to fix is a reboot.

do you have the issue where data connection is lost when moving from wifi to LTE? I get this frequently and the only way to fix is a reboot.

So far, not that I have noticed.

I have a g5 does anyone know how to go back to kit? Never put a custom rom on this phone. Also fpse app won't work on lollipop

Are you on Verizon?

Try setting your Mobile Networks from Global to LTE\CDMA instead.

Or try GSM/UMTS if you're on GSM.

Are you on Verizon?

Try setting your Mobile Networks from Global to LTE\CDMA instead.

Or try GSM/UMTS if you're on GSM.

thanks for the reply.

I am, and your suggestion doesn't seem to work. It's a known bug with the phone, as other users have reported.

I have a Sprint HTC One M7 on stock lollipop 5.0.2 and haven't had any issues.

Back in November I manually did a clean install using the factory images provided by Google for my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 and I have to say they have been running flawlessly.

The reason that I did a clean install (and with Nexus devices I have that option fortunately) was that I read that many people that upgraded to L using the OTA method had a lot of problems.

For those that did an OTA upgrade the solution seems to be to wipe the Cache Partion after booting into the Recovery Mode and then perform a Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Obviously you want to back up any pics/videos/files before doing this. After the phone boots up after the factory reset then you want to set it up like a new phone. DON'T RESTORE FROM ANY BACKUPS since all you will be doing is restoring your problem. Proceed with setting up your phone and downloading all your apps.

I realize most people don't want to "start over from scratch" but it does seem to be the fix regardless of if you have a Nexus, HTC, LG, Samsung phone, etc.

Glad I saw this. I'll skip the update when it hits my Note 4 until they get it straightened out. Kit Kat is running just fine so I won't mess with it til they get it fixed.

Glad I saw this. I'll skip the update when it hits my Note 4 until they get it straightened out. Kit Kat is running just fine so I won't mess with it til they get it fixed.

Same for my note 3 if it ever hits, but I might have to reference it as lollipoop from now on haha.

At first all was well, Android seemed faster, etc.

Now EVERYTHING is slow as sheet and my battery life is tanking.

Anyone else having these issues?

One issue I found is that Lollipop is not available on lots of "old" devices (e.g. Moto X 2013 edition).

Dont buy a phone that involves Touchwhiz?

Pretty much this. Touchwhiz is an abomination. I'd say root it and maybe adjust a few settings. Definitely do your research first. I don't know if the GS5 has an unlockable bootloader, but that'd give you the option to ditch Samsung's ROM altogether. That's pretty high level stuff though, and Samsung's track record suggests that bootloader's locked tight.

Pretty much this. Touchwhiz is an abomination. I'd say root it and maybe adjust a few settings. Definitely do your research first. I don't know if the GS5 has an unlockable bootloader, but that'd give you the option to ditch Samsung's ROM altogether. That's pretty high level stuff though, and Samsung's track record suggests that bootloader's locked tight.

The S5 was unlocked from the first few days of release. What Samsung does is run a security app that will write to a piece of memory that voids your warranty. Otherwise, their bootloaders are usually fair game. That security app is usually bypassed after a few months, but early adopters can't normally go back.

My wife got Lollipop for her Sprint LG G3, and now the phone seems slow. I don't know if her battery life is better, worse, or same because she hasn't said anything, but I do know it's real slow. Hopefully there is a fix for that.

My wife got Lollipop for her Sprint LG G3, and now the phone seems slow. I don't know if her battery life is better, worse, or same because she hasn't said anything, but I do know it's real slow. Hopefully there is a fix for that.

Some devices with the Lollipop update needed a factory reset following to get them working properly. Running slow isn't endemic to L. Heck I know folks running it on the N5s that don't complain about speed.

Not sure if you played with it much on Kitkat, but it always seemed slow to me, even on Kitkat when it first came out. A couple of my friends have the G3 and it skips/stutters a lot, at least compared to my M8 and the Nexus 5. I attributed it to the QHD display that it has and the 801 chip they used to drive it, which wasn't really optimized for QHD resolution (unlike the 805+). I played a game that my friend and I play together on mobile (Clash of Clans) on his G3 and it seemed like it was running at 20-25 FPS, as compared to my M8 running it at 60 FPS (seemingly, haven't checked it somehow). It was very annoying to scroll and zoom on it, seemed to be running about the same speed or slower than my old Note 2 played it at and it was only 720p.

Some devices with the Lollipop update needed a factory reset following to get them working properly. Running slow isn't endemic to L. Heck I know folks running it on the N5s that don't complain about speed.

Nexus 5? I run it on my Nexus 4 without any issues!

That one is not running 5.1...that ROM simply has an internal version number of 5.1

5.1 Lollipop AOSP factory images haven't even been released....so no S5 ROM actually has 5.1 yet.

Good catch, it's 5.0.2. That's quite silly of them to use the same numbering as Android, at quick glance it makes you think the base is 5.1.

Make sure Encryption isn't enabled. If it is, disable it and the phone should run better/faster.

Back