After 25 years, my Infinity Sterlin SS 2001 bookshelf speaker foam fell apart...recommendations?

NIZMOZ

2[H]4U
Should I do a repair kit on these, or should I just replace them? I used them as computer speakers for my PC with a DaytonAudio Amp.

The repair kit on ebay is like $20 bucks, never done one so not sure how hard it is. Or what is great sounding speakers out there today for the money? Not sure if they are worth the money to fix.

20200412_171658521_iOS.jpg

Last edited:
Repair.. that should be pretty easy with woofers that size.. it is a little messy getting the old surrounds off ..but it is easy to do, there are a ton of guides on how to do it.

When I refoam speakers that size what I'll do is get all the old surround off and then (not everyone will like this way..but it works for me) I'll glue the cone and frame of the new surround at the same time... I'll hook the speaker up lay it on it's back and then play some test tones while the glue hasn't set for a minute or whatever to get the cone to center ... if the cone isn't centered when you do this .. then it will rub on the voice coil which will be a problems..

if you do this take the speakers outside when taking the surround off as the old surround material is tar like and will be a pain to clean off it gets on the floor ..etc.

the repair kit is simply removing the foam with a razor and gluing on new foam. It is a delicate but overall easy process.

the repair kit is simply removing the foam with a razor and gluing on new foam. It is a delicate but overall easy process.
I repaired the foam surrounds on my Infinity speakers too, easy repair.

Thanks guys, I ordered a repair kit for $14.95 from Speakerworks.com so that should do the job. Be a fun learning experience. I guess I should do the other speaker too since its old but not broken yet either.

You can also repack the acoustic damper inside the enclosure I did mine and the low freq. pitch definition improved.

Seems every place I have checked online is out of stock for Poly Fil. Wonder why. lol

Back