After 10+ years i still look to everyone for help, building living room gaming pc

Agent Orange 615

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok I did the Q and A, to preface I want to use this mainly to Game in my living room. I own the perephirals. I work in an office all day, and I want to be able to unwind at home and play my collection which ranges from indies to games like titanfall. I also want to be able to play music via usb into my amp dac. I will send pics of the space later also.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? GAMING and Music

2. Will you be overclocking? Most likely no, and if I did I'd want to keep the system DBs at a minimal amount, so water would be an option even with no Ocing

3. What's your budget? 1000$ but could go over or lower obv

4. Where do you live? NYC, I have micro center.

5. What exact parts do you need for that budget? Would need a cpu, Motherboard, case (small form factor) ram, a 256gb ssd would be nice, I also have a 128 laying around I don't use that could be utilized. Video card wise my main rig has a 780 ti, and I will probably keep that in that system, and go with one of the newer more affordable nvidia cards out right now. That's about it. Also a PS of course. I also don't need a sound solution I have a very nice DAC amp combo that powers my living room speakers that does an amazing job with audio from a digital signal via usb

6. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Just reusing an ssd most likely. I could use my 780ti and tone down whats in my main box. The only issue is I run avid and that edit system is the most fickle edit system in history and I don't want to risk it not working. I only say this because I was hoping to play a bit more taxing games on my tv. Current box in sig.

7. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Thunderbolt? Crossfire or SLI support? How many USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s? I don't need raid. if it got to the point where raid was essential I'd go with my other box or go with a new system. For my needs I think one good card will be great.

8. What resolution output do you need? Needs to playback to a 1080 HD tv. Hoping to use full screen steam a lot. I do my video streaming via pled, but may do an xmbc for music and everything.

9. Does this system need to fit into a particular space and do you need an optical drive? Smaller the better, but I can get away with more space. I can send pics later of where I want it to be when i get home.

10. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring? I've been doing this for years, so very comfortable.

11. How important is the noise/silence of this sytem? as much silence as I can get the better but not a game breaker while gaming.

12. How mobile does this system need to be? No need for mobility

13. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Im lucky enough to have 2 windows 8 keys and a Windows 7 also.

14. When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Hard to say, if it feels right I can go for it soon, but don't mind waiting a little bit longer. Maybe black friday?

Just for gaming? Say an i5 and a GTX 970. Or lesser?

Need to see dimensions for advise on a case :)

Just for gaming? Say an i5 and a GTX 970.

This would be my choice, especially with a Micro Center.

i5 $200
Cheap Z97 mobo $80-100 after combo discount, or heck go cheap with H81
8GB RAM $75
GTX 970 $330
random decent quality 450W PSU $40-70
random HTPC-ish case $80-?

This would be my choice, especially with a Micro Center.

i5 $200
Cheap Z97 mobo $80-100 after combo discount, or heck go cheap with H81
8GB RAM $75
GTX 970 $330
random decent quality 450W PSU $40-70
random HTPC-ish case $80-?

This is basically my main idea. I think it will fly for what it needs to do, and with the micro center nearby it seems like a no brainer

So I think the guts seem straightforward. Case wise this is what I'm dealing with. That area under my amp that is 6 inches high and 15 inches across. It'd be cool to fit something under there, OR put it behind real straight up against the wall.

http://imgur.com/jjPNdAT

http://imgur.com/9zgy141,jjPNdAT#0

Apologize for the mess. Moved recently and the living room has been a work in progress.

Last edited:
Silverstone ML07 would fit in there. But, forgive me for suggesting if you have any money over in your budget, perhaps a more robust "cabinet" instead of putting the PC on the floor :)

If you want an SFX PSU, then I suggest getting the SX600-G instead of the ST45SF-G. The former is just so much quieter.

Last edited:
So is it exactly 15 inches? Silverstones Milo ML07 or Raven Z are both just a little more wider with 382mm => ca. 15.0394 inches.

Oh, you are right Raymondo. It's just too narrow for the ML07.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked more carefully at the space and I think I can really do a decent job hiding the entire unit right behind it if I play my cards right also. Researching the PSUs. Again, thanks for all the help so far.

....All this research also has me wondering if my gf would notice a HDMI cable thats coming out of the kitchen wall, running up and over the bathroom, into the living room, then down and up into my tv...:rolleyes:

Back