Affordable way to get a wired network to another room?

Shaitan00

Weaksauce
In my office I have a wireless Cisco Linksys EA4500 router, it has 4x wired ports (which are all in-use right now). Now across the house I have setup some HW that requires 4x wired RJ-45 connections (the hardware is not WIFI ready) so I see 2 simple solutions:

1- Buy 2x switches one to free up a port on my wireless router then run an RJ45 across the house and setup another switch there, costly and got to make some holes

2- Buy RJ-45 to WIFI adapters for each box ($40+ each) which is again costly

I am looking for an affordable solution to my network woe’s…

What I thought – can’t I buy a 4-port wireless SWITCH or ROUTER to act as a repeater in the room (so WIFI connect to my wireless router) and connect my 4-devices physically to the box? If so are there cheap boxes that can do this?

If not – any suggestions?

Thanks,

What you're looking for is a "wireless bridge". Some routers have this built-in. Others may need different firmware loaded on them to accomplish this. Such as DD-WRT, tomato, etc.
This is a good explanation:

So, basically, as expensive as the router you're willing to purchase (or possibly already own). The easiest way to determine if a router has the wireless bridge feature (aside from the obvious manual/specifications information) is to check that it's compatible on the DD-WRT list, as you will always have the option to load that firmware on the router; thus "adding" the wireless bridge feature. :)
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/ if you just click in the search bar and give it a second to load, you will see every router and it's compatibility.

I'm including this video because it includes some of the stuff you'll be interested in:

pay attention to when he gets to the "bridge" portion later in the video. And, good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Depending on your home and speed needs you could do power line adapters as well

Back