Affordable 48port managed gigabit switch

killerasp

Gawd
im in the need of some 48 copper port manageable gigabit switches. anything with "cisco" is always expensive. my requirements include 1) cli access, 2) support vlans, 3)802/1Q trunking/vlan tagging.

i just need to use a manageable switch as an internal switch to connect a secondary server nics to.

What is affordable to you?

You could look into the dell managed switches, if your a dell gold partner they get a decent price

I just did some tagged vlans at a resort...they had the Linksys/Cisco SRW2048 with some minigbics doing fiber down to the beachhouses. Worked pretty well. Had to build some tagged vlans that shared a fiber run.

Your budget is important, how much do you want to spend on a switch?

I just did some tagged vlans at a resort...they had the Linksys/Cisco SRW2048 with some minigbics doing fiber down to the beachhouses. Worked pretty well. Had to build some tagged vlans that shared a fiber run.

We have two Linksys SRW2024's and while they work great, the CLI on it is practically useless other than resetting the management VLAN and IP address.

If the OP wants a intuitive CLI like the Cisco IOS, I don't think he'll find anything like that outside of Cisco switches. Every manufacturer other than Cisco that I've seen uses a minimal CLI (if it even has it) or uses a web GUI.

Back to the Linksys switches, they're very affordable and do a great job.

What is affordable to you?

You could look into the dell managed switches, if your a dell gold partner they get a decent price

so far, the cheapest 48port cisco device i could find is Cisco Catalyst 2960G-48-TC-L. thats around $3500 new, maybe $2700 refurb/used. id would need to get about 20-30 gig switch switches for my cause. id ideally like to spend <$1000 if that reasonable.

ive worked with dell switches and they are okay. ive never used the higher end netgear/linksys devices. there is always force10, heehe.

the switch doesn't have to be the latest thing on the market, i could get by using previous version/generation models if it matches the criteria.

The only other equipment I trust for bsuiness use besides Cisco is HP. They are #2 behind Cicsco. They have lifetime warranty and don't break the bank.

still expensive though... but its all depending on what you want to spend.

also keep in mind features, do you want a switch thats going to L3, partial L3(QoS, ACLs, etc).. Non blocking? People always overlook non-blocking and figure that their "theoretical bandwitth" is what they're going to get on a non-blocked switch...

just some stuff to keep in mind. Personally, I would try and get your hands on some 2960G's off ebay... I have that switch(24 port version) and its very nice. Minor L3 capabilities to add!

We have a Linksys giga switch at work. It was under $1000 and works very well. We don't need all the great features of a Cisco. As much of a Cisco fan I am...

Don't forget that using second hand Cisco equipment without an IOS license is against Cisco's T&C's

IOS Licences are none trasferable so unless you buy from a Cisco re-seller your Cisco Switch will need to go back to Cisco to be inspected and then re-licenced.

Don't forget that using second hand Cisco equipment without an IOS license is against Cisco's T&C's

IOS Licences are none trasferable so unless you buy from a Cisco re-seller your Cisco Switch will need to go back to Cisco to be inspected and then re-licenced.
Only the EXTREMELY upper end cisco switches require a license(*see 4948). The majority of Cisco gear does not require a license, so not sure what you're talking about.

Now with that said, you can't *transfer* a smartnet contract.. but you can most definitely pay the $75 dollars for a basic on anything that you purchase as long as its not EoL.

Tell me something chief, where do you install the license in a 3560? 3550? 2950? Oh thats right.... they don't require a license to run IOS or any of their features(like some of the other cisco gear goes:eek:). Silly billy, This is a CYA move, every company has to have it. Ive worked for TAC, I know people in TAC... you can buy a smartnet, no questions asked one the *majority* of OUR(yes our, I work for the company if you haven't noticed) equipment.

Thank you, Come again

well that is a Cisco link...... so I don't know, maybe your right and the Cisco website is wrong?

The way I read it is that, yes you can run the switch without a Licence, should you? No, its agains the T&C's of the IOS agreement.

I'll give Cisco a call (again) and double check that this is not wrong.

Cisco® IOS® Software is covered by a right-to-use license, with each license conferring the right to use Cisco IOS Software on a single device. Traditionally Cisco has not tracked licenses or provided activation processes for its software. Usage automatically constitutes acceptance of the license agreement and validates the license for the end user. Cisco IOS Software licenses are nontransferable between end users.

taken from here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/col...s9677/white_paper_maintenance_activation.html

well that is a Cisco link...... so I don't know, maybe your right and Cisco are wrong?
Dude, i just said that I work for the company... I know policy. You on the other hand, do not know what you are talking about. Like I said, its a CYA move so people don't go out, buy an ASA5580 and expect to not have to buy a lincese and support when they have unlimited VPN licenses... Keep reading, you need it.

EDIT: Ask yourself something, do you need a license to run any software on any switch that you know of... besides the 4948, which I told you about?

To the OP: sorry to thread jack, see my post above about the switch. 2960G is a great choice, but a bit above your budget. If this is for a customer, they should know the price involved in doing it right.

just my .02

I'm only going by what the website says, I have also called Cisco to find out and they said the same I have also provided another link above that says the same.

Do you really work for Cisco? If so, maybe you should get them to have a look at their own website and fix the mistakes.

once again

Cisco® IOS® Software is covered by a right-to-use license, with each license conferring the right to use Cisco IOS Software on a single device. Traditionally Cisco has not tracked licenses or provided activation processes for its software. Usage automatically constitutes acceptance of the license agreement and validates the license for the end user. Cisco IOS Software licenses are nontransferable between end users.

Now you are just some guy on a forum.... that is from the Cisco website.

Maybe I am reading it wrong... if so please let me know where I am going wrong. If I am wrong I am getting some second hand Cisco equipment on Monday! :D

I'm only going by what the website says, I have also called Cisco to find out and they said the same I have also provided another link above that says the same.

Do you really work for Cisco? If so, maybe you should get them to have a look at their own website and fix the mistakes.
heh, a lot of people on here know I work for Cisco. Not sure if you understand what im abbreviating with CYA(Cover your ass). but my last post should be a very good example at why they put out written policy. Its not mistakes, it just protects the business.

Now, to get IOS upgrades you need a valid smartnet account and IOS being the only thing required to run a lower end switch and most cisco gear as well. Maybe thats what your thinking.

I see

So I can use an old 2950 without having to send it back? Without the need to pay Cisco anything to use it?

If so, that is good news!! and i'm more than happy.

The only other equipment I trust for bsuiness use besides Cisco is HP. They are #2 behind Cicsco. They have lifetime warranty and don't break the bank.

Gotta admit...the Procurve didn't enter my mind...I didn't think they'd have a 48 porter under a grand. They have two or three models (after looking). They are my favorite first choice switch for clients over the past year or so...rock solid.

I see

So I can use an old 2950 without having to send it back ?

Okay, are you joking dude? Ive seen your posts here where you talk about MPLS... so I know you're not an idiot... Yes, of course you can use a 2950 you bought from ebay, as long as it comes with an IOS loaded on it.

no i'm not.

I have been informed BY CISCO over the phone that I needed to send it back to be inspected and to pay for the right to use the IOS, its also the same for our router, I could send it back to a partner but I would need to do this before I use the switch. The ISO upgrades for the 2950 and 3500 are actually free to download from Cisco so your wrong there as well.

I have also been told the same here before now.

I hope you understand my confusion here. The Cisco website and telephone support says one thing and you say another.

ps

Tell the guys at Cisco that their WS-5483 GBIC Modules are rubbish I am really pissed off about it!

:D

no i'm not.

I have been informed BY CISCO over the phone that I needed to send it back to be inspected and to pay for the right to use the IOS, its also the same for our router, I could send it back to a partner but I would need to do this before I use the switch. The ISO upgrades for the 2950 and 3500 are actually free to download from Cisco so your wrong there as well.

Thats complete crap dude, if you expect hardware support then I can see where that statement is true. IOS upgrades are NEVER free unless you have a valid smartnet contract for the hardware that you own. So you are wrong there, sir. CCO is a trust system, Cisco trusts that you only download IOS code that you are permitted to use as per your smartnet contract.

I hope you understand my confusion here. The Cisco website and telephone support says one thing and you say another.

ps

Tell the guys at Cisco that their WS-5483 GBIC Modules are rubbish I am really pissed off about it!

:D
no worries bro, and I love those modules.. have 16 of them in my 6500. They work, as you would say, a treat :p

arrr..

I have broken their trust. Crap, i didn't know that. just as well I have a backup of the old ISO on my tftp server.

I have recently have 3 of those modules fail on me :(

thanks guys. the procurve stuff looks nice. ProCurve Switch 2810-48G seems to be what i want. i can always negotiate on the pricing or get it refurb.

no prob on the slight thread hijacking :)

does anyone use cisco stackwise on the 3750's? it looks interesting but looks to be only useful on the access layer (closest to the servers)

This shows how little you know. What about Juniper, Extreme, Foundry, etc? There are plenty outside of Cisco that are more than worthy (and some will argue they are better) than Cisco. I personally prefer Cisco gear, that's why I have invested to even have it throughout my house. A lot of ISPs use Cisco for their smaller switches and Juniper or Foundry for their core switches. I've NEVER seen an HP put into production on a large network by someone that really knew what they were doing. Don't get me wrong, HPs are fine but if I had a choice they wouldn't be on my top three ;)

This shows how little you know. What about Juniper, Extreme, Foundry, etc? There are plenty outside of Cisco that are more than worthy (and some will argue they are better) than Cisco. I personally prefer Cisco gear, that's why I have invested to even have it throughout my house. A lot of ISPs use Cisco for their smaller switches and Juniper or Foundry for their core switches. I've NEVER seen an HP put into production on a large network by someone that really knew what they were doing. Don't get me wrong, HPs are fine but if I had a choice they wouldn't be on my top three ;)

OUCH...does everyone bite and claw on this forum nowadays? ;)

I've NEVER seen an HP put into production on a large network by someone that really knew what they were doing.

Eh?

They make some dang respectable gear for large networks
HP-ProCurve-4000M.jpg

W_procurve_4108_front.jpg

Eh?

They make some dang respectable gear for large networks
HP-ProCurve-4000M.jpg

W_procurve_4108_front.jpg
I'm not saying they don't make decent stuff. I'm just saying, given the choice, HP is not in my top three. I've also never seen HP implemented or even suggested in a large environment if they have a choice. Yes I've worked with ProCurves, yes they do fine, but again, not in my top 3. ;) I actually had four of the chassis in your last pic at my last POE. All loaded with Gbit or Gbit w/POE blades. We were working it out in favor of Cisco gear ;) (and it was less than a year old)

I have seen ISPs use them as edge switches. HPs stuff is very good for the price.

I'm not saying they don't make decent stuff. I'm just saying, given the choice, HP is not in my top three.

and your earlier statement...
I've NEVER seen an HP put into production on a large network by someone that really knew what they were doing.

...are two different statements.

As a network consultant for over 10 years...(granted..small business..but I've been through and seen many large setups)....I've seen quite a few large networks running on Procurves...by rather competent IT staff. I use Procurves myself for my higher end clients.

I didn't say HP was the only choice. There no need to get affended. I can care less about what someone on the interent thinks. The fact of the matter is HP is #2 in the market for access layer switches. I don't care what you personally like, just because a large organization has the money to spend on Cisco doesn't mean they have to. There are large organizations that run HP procurves and the company I work for happens to be one of them. They cost a whole lot less, have agreat features, and don't require a smartnet for support.

Back