Affordable ($300 or lower) phase-change found!

0mega said:
been posted a few times im sure... i saw one just below this actually :p

Yea what he said. It still is pretty cool though. First thing you would want to do is put it in a better case. I think that case it is in now looks like crap.

swatbat said:
Yea what he said. It still is pretty cool though. First thing you would want to do is put it in a better case. I think that case it is in now looks like crap.
nothing a little metal work and paint cant fix

Thats not bad at all. I almost paid that for my BB mods, but I get like -47ish.

I did not...was a mod done to my Mach II from TEKWorkz..or something like that. The BB..is for Baker Block.

ahh ok cause my net name is bb mods's short for my [H]ard name :) i also build phasechange and that sort of stuff.

the OCZ kit is already like a month late, i wish they would release the damn thing already.

Its also very underpowered and not very load capable. be the equvilent of running H2o Cooling on a higer oced CPU. There is a reason that GOOD if not Great units start around 700 to 900 bucks. This thing needs a bigger compressor, larger condensor and a better evap. as well as good gas. It may well be affordable. BUT you will get what you pay for. and thats cheap not real capable cooling.

Captin Insano said:
Its also very underpowered and not very load capable. be the equvilent of running H2o Cooling on a higer oced CPU. There is a reason that GOOD if not Great units start around 700 to 900 bucks. This thing needs a bigger compressor, larger condensor and a better evap. as well as good gas. It may well be affordable. BUT you will get what you pay for. and thats cheap not real capable cooling.

Which phase unit do you own that qualifys you to say that the ocz unit is not good. Let alone say that its as good as water cooling. Chilly1 designed this unit. So you know its good. They're only looking for -22c on load from this unit which is way better than any highend watercooling you could buy. Also there is going to be an upgrade kit. So you can have a choice between wallet performance or extreme performance.

Either way its def way better than watercooling. :p

ProphetX said:
Which phase unit do you own that qualifys you to say that the ocz unit is not good. Let alone say that its as good as water cooling. Chilly1 designed this unit. So you know its good. They're only looking for -22c on load from this unit which is way better than any highend watercooling you could buy. Also there is going to be an upgrade kit. So you can have a choice between wallet performance or extreme performance.

Either way its def way better than watercooling. :p
My qualifications to answer are.........

I have a Custom built single stage unit that runs -57 unloaded and -48 fully loaded with FX55 CH core or FX57 SD, I also have a dual pump cascade that runs -117 unloaded and -107 fully loaded with 275 to 300 watts. Without naming names someone I know Has also heard that from the designer himself (Chilly1) that it is undersized for any REAL heavy work from a large load capable processor, and that to make it worthy it would need a larger pump, Condensor and different evap as well as a gas upgrade. If they are looking for only -22 load temps what load are they running for a max watts load. I can guarentee you that a FX55 Clawhammer fully loaded would shurly bring it to positive temps and thats a bad thing to have happen to a phase unit. Sorry but thats not extreme performance. And whats the upgrade kit gonna run? Probably make the price well back into its competitors range btw wich are much more superior. People that get into phase do so because they want the best cooling there is. Its not about the money. Products like this drive me nuts. Its like making a wanna be ferrari for the price of a pinto. You get what you pay for.

Thats not the point. You said that its as good as watercooling. Now matter what phase is better than watercooling. Tell me what watercooling setup even gets your -0c? And no dont even mention a water chiller.

And its no secret that chilly said that. Its on the cryochill thread at xs, but he did say it was for begginers to phase. He never said it was for extreme performance. But its better than watercooling. Nice to see you've updated your sig.

Next time post proof.

ProphetX said:
Thats not the point. You said that its as good as watercooling. Now matter what phase is better than watercooling. Tell me what watercooling setup even gets your -0c? And no dont even mention a water chiller.

And its no secret that chilly said that. Its on the cryochill thread at xs, but he did say it was for begginers to phase. He never said it was for extreme performance. But its better than watercooling. Nice to see you've updated your sig.

Next time post proof.

So is your only intent to post just to argue and be an ass. I completly stated my opinion and what I see. If you cant understand where i am comming from then you have little knowledge or experince on the subject. For some Joe Smo that decides to get one thinking he is getting outright extreme cooling and gets his FX57 or his Higher Temp Intel and decides to Oc it up there and then drives the unit far past what it can handle in tems of load and it runs it to positive temps or just under. It will be a bad sceen. Very bad. In fact water cooling will cool better then that if this unit were pushed to positive temps. Remeber they are talking about evap temps not core temps. So once again instead of turning what can possibly happen if situations are ment (thus where i get the watercooling refernce) into a flame keep your comments to yourself.

Captin Insano said:
So is your only intent to post just to argue and be an ass. I completly stated my opinion and what I see. If you cant understand where i am comming from then you have little knowledge or experince on the subject. For some Joe Smo that decides to get one thinking he is getting outright extreme cooling and gets his FX57 or his Higher Temp Intel and decides to Oc it up there and then drives the unit far past what it can handle in tems of load and it runs it to positive temps or just under. It will be a bad sceen. Very bad. In fact water cooling will cool better then that if this unit were pushed to positive temps. Remeber they are talking about evap temps not core temps. So once again instead of turning what can possibly happen if situations are ment (thus where i get the watercooling refernce) into a flame keep your comments to yourself.

Next time dont post BS. As for the ocz unit, there will be nothing wrong with it. Its an afforadble phase unit PERIOD i dont see any cons in that because it gets you lower than -0c.
Your statement about a watercooling system that cool the cpu, gpu a dn chipset makes not sense. Even though you have good cooling on the gpu and chipset, the cpu will never oc like it would on phase.

As far as im concerned your started the flaming. Dont get mad because i called your bluff. Then you try to change up your sig to make you seem...... believable.

So now its opinoin huh? I thought it was because you had a -100c cascade like you said before.

Anyways im done. For anyone thats wants better temps than watercooling on the cpu. the ocz kryochill will be great at $300. At that price if you absolutly must oc your gpu, get another kryochill.

How do you guys feel this would work as a water chiller in a moderate sized single-loop watercooling system?

I am VERY excited about this cooler.

I was an early adopter on the 1st generation vapochills, man did those things suck hard, especially for $1000. You had to splice the wires on the motherboard connection and hook them up to the LED, and the compressor actually drew power from the power supply, so there were voltage sag issues galore.

I started to entertain the idea again when i saw this a few weeks ago at AT :)

An OCZ rep said that once they start seling in volume they could get the price down to ~$200

I must have one. In addition, I hope this can be adapted or is made for simaltaneous GFX/CPU cooling...that would OWN.

Don't take me wrong but I think it is GREAT idea. Only thing I am worried about is their projected price. Single RMA would eat into their profit margin very heavily (My guess is about 3-4 units profit goes puff per single RMA considering their price range they are aiming for)
I get the feeling it will be really hard for them to keep it up.
As for concept... I mean, thermaltake big water is a hit! And it isn't that bad... (yes it is vs well designed setup...) Not to mention koolance, etc isn't as bad as what people portray from extreme cooling side. (don't argue with me pals... I've been through some REAL extreme watercooling:p). Point is, it makes people easier to getting into phase with the nice pricetag. I like the idea. Thermaltake big water actually did help swiftech net more sales in case people didn't realize thanks to more people knowing about it. I think OCZ unit will do same if they succeed.

To everybody, I was there for the beta unit's, i helped Chilly1 do the teardown/test on one of these, the condensor is more then enuff, the ZEL comprtessor is plenty strong there down fall is it comes gased with R-134a...it's a crappy gas..with a mod to 507,402a,404a, 404a being the warmest at a modest-46*c boiling point, 507 @ -47*c boiling point @ 0psig, and 402a boiling off @ -51ish @ 0psig, the unit's have the right part's but the wrong gas,It would still be better then water cooling in any effect.Hope this help's and please stop flaming guy's Captin Insano has a valid point,just a little off on the info.

Captin Insano, how much money do you think one needs for a top notch phase unit?

I ask because I always wanted to get into extreme cooling but money is a problem with me.
But at the same time, I want a DC CPU running at 3.2-3.5ghz.

If peeps want to buy phase...the best thing is to get one with strong holding temperature (less temp. swing/delta between idle and load). The coldest one not neccessarily the best one.
This was run with Vapo LS with really hot Opty 154 @ almost 1.8Vcore. Temp (evaporator) start @-38C or around - 27C cpu core and during the bench cpu core temp. hit +22C :eek: ...Thats not good.

screenshot1285eg.jpg

BitchBreaker said:
To everybody, I was there for the beta unit's, i helped Chilly1 do the teardown/test on one of these, the condensor is more then enuff, the ZEL comprtessor is plenty strong there down fall is it comes gased with R-134a...it's a crappy gas..with a mod to 507,402a,404a, 404a being the warmest at a modest-46*c boiling point, 507 @ -47*c boiling point @ 0psig, and 402a boiling off @ -51ish @ 0psig, the unit's have the right part's but the wrong gas,It would still be better then water cooling in any effect.Hope this help's and please stop flaming guy's Captin Insano has a valid point,just a little off on the info.

It probably won't be R134a in production unit. What would be the point?

Ouch Cent... I know some single cores do read temp high but that 22c... man... I dunno what to say.

It will be 134a from the factory..there being made in Japan mate, Reggie will be doing a gas swap to 507 in them IIRC, Ill give him a ring tomorrow.

Also...CPU's arent getting more power consuming. these units are designed with the average consumer in mind that wants cold at a reasonable cost. Sure, they may not be a 3 stage cascade...but you don't need that anyway. Besides, with AMD and Intel fighting the power consumption war, I'd be suprised if it doesnt end up almost overkill eventually. IF you want very cold for very cheap, get some dry ice, if you want a decent phase unit to keep your peace of mind about your cpu temps, these units should fit the bill perfectly.

IceBawx said:
Also...CPU's arent getting more power consuming. these units are designed with the average consumer in mind that wants cold at a reasonable cost. Sure, they may not be a 3 stage cascade...but you don't need that anyway. Besides, with AMD and Intel fighting the power consumption war, I'd be suprised if it doesnt end up almost overkill eventually. IF you want very cold for very cheap, get some dry ice, if you want a decent phase unit to keep your peace of mind about your cpu temps, these units should fit the bill perfectly.

Not everyone has same preference obviously. Dry Ice never is an option for my taste. However, one thing goes with 99% of crowd together is... price... :) OCZ unit might not cool the best but for performance/price, it will be hard to topple once it is done right.
BB, gas planned is R507. Using Zel compressor still and it probably will be manufactured in China for most of it. Do you know how expensive labour is in Japan? Not to mention shipping chinese compressor to japan and back out to US? Talk about some taxes and shippings to add up the cost.

I know what the real cost for them to be made is....I just dont know what there gona sell for.

as soon as OCZ build's it's stock up, there making sure they have enuff for return's and rma's

BB, all the info you have is while it was still in inception. R134 was a candidate but it was moved to R507. (now that is official word from OCZ for time being). If there will be modding done, it will be much more than regassing as in total compressor swap to make it run better really. It just isn't practical to keep that compressor expecting colder temp than what final unit will get.

Speculation is just that....nothing has changed with the unit. As I stated a few posts up....there are many logistics issues to be worked out and these things take time, everything is done though emails and phone calls, etc. so it might take 2 - 3 days to work out 1 issue.
Shipping and packaging are very very high on our priority list right now, as I am sure most of you know, after reading what Chilly has posted in regards to his own units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu117
1) R134 will be used, R404a will be used, R507 will be used (with too many saying R134a...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly1 in Post #381
All were tuned to best load/temps and shipped...R507 is the gas no blend.

All I can ask guys is just to CHILL !! (pun intended )

Maybe we should just say forget it? OCZ felt they were going to offer something that would be very well received in the enthusiast community. You guys that build your own or want really low temps, are not going to need this or want it, but yet all we hear is a bunch of "bashing" that it won't get cold enough or won't do this or that.
now that forget it part was one of OCZ rep in XS. I am pretty sure he said that in frustration with too much bashing by people about temps, etc. (To be honest, thermaltake big water probably made whole lot more money than the swiftech apex kit ever did...:p)

I don't really see the point of the ocz phase, unless you want to say to your friends "I have a phase change cooling". If what people say is true and it gets positive (or near positive) temps the overclocking potential isn't going to be as great as say some other commercial phases or custom single-stage phases (yes I know it will be cheaper but after all, you want it for OC'ing right?).

Aswell as it being cheap, with the temps you are gunna (suposedly) get I doubt you will be able to OC your chip high enough so it is "worth" having the phase, and as for people who just wish to get high clocks I don't think you'll be making any top10 records.

If you want good OCs either invest in a custom single stage or one from vapochill or mach (I'm ruling out 3-stage cascades as I doubt OCZ is targetting them).
If you want a good mhz/$ OC I reccommend pelts instead.
If you want to tell your friends you now have a phase change on your computer for "below ambient" cooling; buy the OCZ.

Zxcs said:
I don't really see the point of the ocz phase, unless you want to say to your friends "I have a phase change cooling". If what people say is true and it gets positive (or near positive) temps the overclocking potential isn't going to be as great as say some other commercial phases or custom single-stage phases (yes I know it will be cheaper but after all, you want it for OC'ing right?).

Aswell as it being cheap, with the temps you are gunna (suposedly) get I doubt you will be able to OC your chip high enough so it is "worth" having the phase, and as for people who just wish to get high clocks I don't think you'll be making any top10 records.

If you want good OCs either invest in a custom single stage or one from vapochill or mach (I'm ruling out 3-stage cascades as I doubt OCZ is targetting them).
If you want a good mhz/$ OC I reccommend pelts instead.
If you want to tell your friends you now have a phase change on your computer for "below ambient" cooling; buy the OCZ.

Heh... I see what watercooling crowd went through not too long ago :p Gotta be storm or not worth it here lol.
Okay... for 24x7 oc, it will cool as good as peltier or better at lower cost (you know how much peltier system properly made will cost?! I've been through it and it really isn't worth the money). It's around price range of high class watercooling (bit less if they can hit target as high class watercooling can be obnoxiously expensive when you are done... It probably will be half of what vapo LS or mach II GT goes for.
If you want good mhz/$ OC, it's going to be just straigth watercooling kit that doesn't cost too much, this or, custom single stage unit. I actually see vapochill LS and mach II GT a passe myself as it stands until they come out with new design. I know asetek has no interest to upgrade their system in near future.... not sure where mach III is at despite all rumors. To be honest, I only see 5c difference from this unit to vapo LS if properly tuned considering components in prototype. 5c doesn't equal that much overclocking difference for 24x7 once it gets around temp we play with to make it $400-500 difference really. I am thinking stable 50mhz off using same components... :p
I mean, what speed are cascade crowd benching at? I have my single stage customer benching fx-57 @ 3.6ghz...we are talking maybe extra 200mhz for about 40c difference in core temp... (hell lot more in evap temp but you get the jest)

Fort_Major said:
How noisy? quiet? are those things?
I'm guessing it will be about as noisy (maybe a little quieter) than most single stage units (whether custom or brandmade, they're usually around the same noise level). I'd say around 70+ dB since you'll have a 120mm fan as well as the noise from the compressor (damn loud).

Phase change are made for performance rather than noise/aesthetics, so don't expect it to be quiet :)

70dba? Well... must be talking about someone's unit as mine will never get even close to that lol.
Mach II units when fan is running low is only about 36dba max (overestimation really), mine is around same,vapo LS goes tad louder (not in total noise but it's got that mechanical noisei hate).
But yes, I've seen some "coolest single stages" running 70dba or around there :p

Would one rate phase be someting that would be easier or more difficult then trying to piece together 10 different parts to put together a Water Cooling.
Less or more troublesome downthe line then worrying about leaks and ruptures and air bubbles and etc?

The vapochill LS makes a lot of noise due to the DanFoss 5.5CLX compressor..there just loud..if ya want some i got quite a few!

Back