aero trouble in vista beta 2

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
i think my problem is that the system is not using my graphics card for hardware acceleration. in any display configuration other than aero, windows sits at about 2% cpu usage. if i try to enable aero, both cpus shoot up to 100% and everything stutters badly.

my specs are:
dual core at 2.7ghz
nforce 4 ultra chipset
1gb ddr400
6800gt

with these specs, i don't really see why i'm having trouble, aside from the my guess that my cpus are being asked to handle graphical rendering and they don't like it. anyone know what's up?

i remember microsoft saying something about making aero not available for "pirates". i haven't activated yet, so is that what's going on here?

The built in Vista drivers are not the best ones to use, esp for video.

I'd give the NVidia Vista drivers a try to see if it helps.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_88.61.html

Even then, not sure just how much that 6800GT can push the visuals around.

My FX-60 and 7800GTX card run Vista smooth as silk with everything turned on.

i know that for gaming, the 6800gt is no big deal but i thought that any dx9 gpu could handle vista. if a gma950 and an ati x1300 can handle vista, the 6800gt should be light years ahead of them. seeing as my cpu is faster than any retail processor, i don't think i'm hurting there either. i had tried the nvidia drivers, and didn't find them any different than the ones that come with vista

Then I have no ideas other than perhaps there's something driver specific that has very poor driver support in your system atm.

Also, just thought of this and its a long shot, but if you're OC'ing, that can cause issues in some software, and despite what you'd think, can cause issues, something else that might be worth checking.

My system is all at stock speeds and has nothing special in it, and using those NVidia drivers works flawlessly.

Wish I could think of something else to help, sorry.

dualblade said:
i know that for gaming, the 6800gt is no big deal but i thought that any dx9 gpu could handle vista. if a gma950 and an ati x1300 can handle vista, the 6800gt should be light years ahead of them.
That's a very strange problem you're having. The last time I had Aero Glass enabled was with the December CTP on my laptop (GMA900 @ 200MHz) and that ran pretty decently with several windows on screen. The CPU never hit 100% though from desktop use.

I believe I read somewhere the most card capable of runnign new games wil run Glass very well. I think even some intel integrated chipsets may be able to do. Certainly a 68oo series card... unless MS has gone really overboard.

i'm pretty puzzled too. i'm going to try bring my cpu back to stock speeds, but when i had overclocked it originally, it was perfectly prime stable. i'm on water, so i don't think it makes any difference that it's summer out now.

is there any way to see if vista is using my video card to render aero? is there a setting that forces it, or a registry key i can set?

I installed Beta 2 yesterday. The maximum CPU utilization I saw while playing with Aero Glass effects was 15% while using the 87.98 drivers included with the OS.

yeah, strange stuff indeed. only thing i can think of is some wierd driver problem elsewhere. i guess the only thing possibly different in my system is that i've got a scsi drive as my main drive (and the one that vista's installed on). vista picked up the controller card just fine though...

Back