Advice requested: RMA functioning cpu with bent pins or no?

Notleh

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a Phenom II X3 750 BE from Newegg and when I received it there were 3 bent pins on the edge.

I RMA'd it and newegg sent another, but while I was waiting I went for it and adjusted the pins. They were not too bad, only bent at about 30 degrees and I was able to adjust them using a credit card.

The cpu seems to be working fine. i unlocked the 4th core and stress tested it with prime95 and all seems to be OK.

My question is this: Now that I have the new cpu from the RMA, should I bother replacing the bent pins one that appears to be working? A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

I know this is [H] forums, so I am pretty sure what a tweaker would say, but I am looking for some answers from people with more experiance than myself. I have never had a damaged cpu and I am not sure what the long term ramifications might be.

thanks.

As long as the chip is functioning fine and the pins are no longer bent, I see no problem with it at all; there should be no long-term ramifications. As far as NewEgg is concerned, I would just send the second one back if you haven't opened it. Retailers tend to be pretty picky about CPU returns, but that's just my 2c. Make sure you contact support before sending it back, however.

Its more [H] to keep the one that you fixed. :p

Like Noble said, if its working, I wouldn't worry about it. You certainly aren't the first to bend some pins back into place.

If its not cost to you to return the one that had bent pins in the first place (other than shipping), I'd send it back. I've realigned plenty of pins on CPU's before, not had a problem, but if it came out of the box like that I wouldn't accept it.

if you have the chance, swap em see if the new one unlocks and clocks better, or had better temps....keep the best of the two! that would be [H]ard

now realistically, keep the one you got 1st, its fine, I bent 4 pins on a 550 BE and had no issues at all, hell it OC'd better after (coincidence probably)

It is OEM, so no packaging per se. just the crappy little plastic clamshell newegg uses (thats how it got bent in the first place).

Thank you all for the advice.

Then you have the opportunity to see which clocks the best. Keep the better one.

x4

Time to make some lemonade, metaphorically speaking.

you win a prize if you unplug the original, bend some pins, and then bend more pins on trying to get the second one in.

really, I would not bother.

I just had a customer bring in a Phenom II 955 with a bent pin and recycled it. I unbent the pin later, slapped it in a board, and booted it right up.

love it

Happens to everybody. I had my son grab one off my desk and drop it an the hard wood floor. It bent about 35 percent of the pins. Careful adjustments for about an hour and you can't tell the difference. Works as it did before.

Lesson Learned: Don't leave cpu's on desk around 4yr old.

Back