advice on remote desktop software for Grandma

iGamer

[H]ard|Gawd
soo next month my grandmother is moving 2 states away to Colorado, and I am preparing her a new more power efficient computer (and more compact) and I am looking for the best remote software that requires the least amount of work from her and that would allow me to log in and help/fix whatever needs fixing. It would help if there was intergrated voice communications, its not required but would help.

ahh the joys of being the familys' only nerd...:p

any ideas?

If you need unattented access, perhaps some port forwarding and MSFT RDP would work. Just set the access port to a random port and forward that random port to the local IP. I use this method and couple it with DynDNS, this works really well for me. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Open RDP on any port is a bad idea imo.

i think this is a pretty common misconception around IT folk these days, but i'd be happy to be proven wrong on this...

if modern RDP with NLA was compromised, we'd have some pretty big issues facing us.... that said, if i do this i do put it on a non-standard port, and of COURSE, use a difficult password

not that i'd recommend it for this case.... just teamviewer sounds perfect... create an account and add her machine and you're in business

Guys the OP was posted in Jan. I'm sure he/she has their answer by now. Some noob necro'ed this thread to try and increase his post count.

Back