Advice on picking new FULL-TOWER case

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
I'm a fan of full-tower cases.
I like the idea of expandability, superior airflow, and being able to literally toss in ANY add-on I want into them. Space isn't a concern. I may do a full-loop liquid cool, add 10 hard drives, who knows??? But space is there.
Looking at some of the offerings available, I see the full-tower market seems to be shrinking (Or I am not seeing them advertised on the popular sites I visit to shop?)
This time around though, I'm going full HAM on R G B and ability to mount GPU sideways
Color preferences: ALL WHITE, ALL GREY, ALL Bare Aluminum (Just preferences)

So today, I decided to check out the manufacturer's websites themselves in search of my new project housing.
I'm a fan of the following products

-Lian Li [Owned too many of their cases to count]
-In Win [Never owned one, but seems to be a higher-end choice as their pricing would suggest]
-Phanteks [Never owned one, but seems to be very popular choice]
-Silverstone [Owned Temjin TJ07 in the past, loved that case for its time]
-Coolermaster [Owned both flagships in past -- specifically the be Quiet! 900 Base Pro & Cosmos]
-Fractal [Owned mid-tower in past, was almost dead silent and liked it, unsure if they offer full-tower options]
-Mountain Mods [Owned two of their offerings in past and really enjoyed them when doing full liquid loops] UFO-2 and Duality
-Corsair [Never owned one -- specifically, their Obsidian lineups like the 500D up or that gigantic cube thing they have in the lineup]

I'm curious if any of you out there, are like me? Are all the above-mentioned case manufacturers pretty much "it" as far as craftsmanship, attention to detail, sleek design, innovative features the market has to offer?
Curious on suggestions if I missed something.....
What would you pick if you were a full-tower junkie to hold your gear in? Specific models and links appreciated in advance!

Last edited:
Recommendations thus far, and where I stand with them after checking them out online & watching some videos--

-Red - not for me or already owned
-Yellow - lukewarm
-Green - really, really like

Fractal Define 7XL - looks pretty well built and stealthy, just too bland for my taste
Corsair 1000D - some pretty innovative features like slide-out radiator wings, etc - overall with concerns on airflow from a previous owner +price premium
Phanteks Enthoo Elite - cost-prohibitive, even though it checks every single box on my list (including color, grey)
Phanteks Evolv X - Mid-tower "as mentioned when suggested" - however, I do LOVE the styling as well
EVGA DG-85 - Almost a perfect solution, but why the heck did EVGA go brand-crazy all over it? Looks like something from Halo
Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 - I currently own this case and love every aspect of it. Just want a new case for a new build is all
In Win 909 - I wasn't able to find this exact model for sale but came across one that was identical but re-branded by another company, inside looks dated
Thermaltake Core X71 Snow - Do like, but unsure how well it will keep dust out, insides appear to be dated - The overall aesthetic is 9/10 Amazon - Walmart - Target?
In Win 925 - Cool design, why do you get dreadful ratings? You're in stock, too Amazon
Raijintek Eris EVO - Bold design, nice open frame (almost to a fault) looks like dust wasn't a concern to the engineers - more of an open-design case Newegg
anidees AI Crystal XL RGB V3 - DAMN! Hello beautiful. I wish you were in stock Amazon - Newegg
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL - Very lovely case, and I don't mind if it's the black or white version
Enthoo Primo Special Edition [GREEN] - Holy crap! Dope ASF! Dated interior, but with "some modern" approaches, GREEN is my JAM! Performance-PCs
Thermaltake Core W100 - I'm a sucker for casters, and TT bills this as a workstation for technical or scientific purposes = FOR SCIENCE! Amazon - Newegg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have owned both Corsair and Fractal cases. I think they are both quite comparable in build quality. If I were building a full tower today, I would look very closely at the Fractal Define 7XL. If you are looking at either a Fractal Define or a Corsair Obsidian line of cases, I would just make sure to consider their airflow. If you want quiet, they can do it. If you want quiet and airflow, you will be dissappointed. The Fractal Define 7 has some nice options to allow for increased airflow.

If price were no option I would consider the Phanteks Enthoo Elite The amount of customization you can do with this case is crazy. Want a full loop with separate radiator chamber? Done! Want a ton of storage? Done! Want both? Done! Now since price is a consideration, I have never built in one.

Went through Newegg and the interwebs, these are a few that caught my eye.
- Phanteks Enthoo 719
- Phanteks Evolv X - more of a mid tower, but I have always like the styling
- Thermaltake Core X71
- EVGA DG-85
- In Win 909
- In Win 925
- Corsair 1000D
- Be Quiet! Dark Base 900

I think you have pretty much found all the major players in the game. NZXT is out there, but they make mid tower and smaller. Raijintek has some crazy offerings, but have not heard or read much about them.

If price were no option I would consider the Phanteks Enthoo Elite

Ha! I saw that, read all the details on their website, and was LOVING the grey version, then hit the link on "where to buy" and BOOM! $900
Jesus.
Quite a jump from the $450-500 price range of ALL OTHER TOWERS.

*Flashbacks to Thermaltake Level 10, back in the day (pricing)*

Thank you for your time/suggestions Fritzz very MUCH APPRECIATED!

UPDATE: I currently own and running my current system in sig in this case: - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900
Just want something new.

I love the full/super tower cases. All my main rigs have been put into one, leaving midtowers for systems not so essential. But even then, any midtower I buy has to be big enough for a 140mm fan-based CPU cooler, so even those are fairly large. My pfsense build is currently in a Supermicro SC-750 from way back. it's an enormous server case, but the lack of fan support left it with few other uses.

Super duper liquid cooling and a ton of hard drives is hard to fit into a single case, but if you must, look at the Thermaltake Core WP100 (and the pedestal extension), or WP200 for even more extreme.

Otherwise, the Phanteks Enthoo 719/Luxe 2 is a great case for watercooling. I have one waiting for a new build. Put all the drives in a separate NAS system.

Ha! I saw that, read all the details on their website, and was LOVING the grey version, then hit the link on "where to buy" and BOOM! $900
Jesus.
Quite a jump from the $450-500 price range of ALL OTHER TOWERS.

*Flashbacks to Thermaltake Level 10, back in the day (pricing)*

Thank you for your time/suggestions Fritzz very MUCH APPRECIATED!

UPDATE: I currently own and running my current system in sig in this case: - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900
Just want something new.

They're is nothing that is gonna handle 20 drives w/o modifications. The Phanteks 719 is the closes thing today to a good full tower but it maxes out at 30mm radiator depth. And you can only stick 4 - 3.5 HDs in there and would have to pay for more drive docks. And on that point, goping over 6 drive docks is gets risky due to the maximum height, ie. it sits right under your gpu not great. This is not the case for holding HDs.

I'd also look at the TT's CORE line up. Too bad the CORE X9 is EOL, that was a superb cube case for 100 bucks. I built a 10K production rig out of one. Though with a 100 buck CORE X9 around, ppl will flock to it and skip the more expensive CORE 100/200 series.

They're is nothing that is gonna handle 20 drives w/o modifications
thesmokingman was a figure of speech. I only own 10 3.5" SATA. 4x in Server, 4x in Gaming, 2x in NAS. I was thinking about adding 8x of them all to a single machine and do away with the server and part it out. I don't really use it and the other 2x HDDs (12TB Seagate Heliums) put in a small power-efficient box with SSD boot drive and load FreeNas since my Netgear ReadyNAS is getting long in the tooth and many hours on it.

Is this the Thermaltake case you speak of?

thesmokingman was a figure of speech. I only own 10 3.5" SATA. 4x in Server, 4x in Gaming, 2x in NAS. I was thinking about adding 8x of them all to a single machine and do away with the server and part it out. I don't really use it and the other 2x HDDs (12TB Seagate Heliums) put in a small power-efficient box with SSD boot drive and load FreeNas since my Netgear ReadyNAS is getting long in the tooth and many hours on it.

Thermaltake Core W200 - It's huge though. Could hold a dual system and 20 HDDs with some 5.25" to 3.5" bay converters.

Thermaltake Core W100 - takes away the dual system, but lot's of opportunity for HDDs.

It's huge though. Could hold a dual system and 20 HDDs with some 5.25" to 3.5" bay converters.
Not too bad on price either, only $500 for "All you get" in W200
I wouldn't be interested in the dual machine part, but it is interesting to know that you could stick all the liquid loop crap on the other side perhaps.

EDIT: Link is to the W200, not WP200 (Didn't see any results for WP200 pricing or availability, but it "is from 2016)
EDIT 2: I just overlooked your recco on W100. INTERESTING. *Rubs hands together*

Not too bad on price either, only $500 for "All you get" in W200
I wouldn't be interested in the dual machine part, but it is interesting to know that you could stick all the liquid loop crap on the other side perhaps.

EDIT: Link is to the W200, not WP200 (Didn't see any results for WP200 pricing or availability, but it "is from 2016)
EDIT 2: I just overlooked your recco on W100. INTERESTING. *Rubs hands together*

I think the WP200 is a combo comprised of the W200 with the P200.

Is this the Thermaltake case you speak of?

No, I was referring to the CORE W series that Fritzz linked.

IDK, this Lian Li is very, very sexy. Open design as well.
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

I also looked very closely at the older Corsair 1000D.
Lian-Li is the front runner at the moment in gorgeous white and dual tempered glass with just a subtle splash of RGB on front

EDIT: After 3 YouTube videos watching one guy install a reg system in it, and 2 exotic builds it doesn't seem that large at all. With just 360 rads. Calling it a full tower, hmm.

Last edited:
IDK, this Lian Li is very, very sexy. Open design as well.
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

I also looked very closely at the older Corsair 1000D.
Lian-Li is the front runner at the moment in gorgeous white and dual tempered glass with just a subtle splash of RGB on front

EDIT: After 3 YouTube videos watching one guy install a reg system in it, and 2 exotic builds it doesn't seem that large at all. With just 360 rads. Calling it a full tower, hmm.

That is definitely a show piece and I like it very much. I wouldn't call it a full tower more of a box style/dual chamber, but it's been a big hit with the PC community. You can definitely fit full tower gear in there, but it's considerable smaller than the likes of the TT W200 and Corsair 1000D. There's also 4 hot swappable drive bays in the back that can help with your HDD situation should you want.

Special thanks to Fritzz - thesmokingman - Denpepe for multiple suggestions!!
-Honorable mention to warhol76 for mentioning the air restrictions of 1000D!

Check post #2 on this thread for my run-down on which cases I liked, ones that fell short or already owned, and IM STILL OPEN TO MORE SUGGESTIONS!
The reason I'm still open to more suggestions is some of these aren't in stock or I feel like I need to watch some videos on them (eg. TT W100)

If you are into Full-Tower cases and have a favorite or saw one you've always wanted to build in, POST UP!

Fritzz I was watching going in blind. Wondering where is the res? Plot twist: The motherboard tray "is" the res
also, when watching I saw #02 of 200 - I knew this thing wasn't going to be cheap. $1700. Dang. It is BEAUTIFUL though.

LOL-H.jpg

I'd say get a chieftec dragon and a bunch of icydock drive bays, but the dragon is hard to find, and icydock's hotswap bays aren't cheap either...

I'd say get a chieftec dragon and a bunch of icydock drive bays, but the dragon is hard to find, and icydock's hotswap bays aren't cheap either...

I built my first computer in one of these, but Antec name-brand. I've owned about 4 of these cases throughout my journeys in life. SOLID case.

Ive been very happy with my Lian-Li A76W case I bought 7 years ago, I managed to snag another one on newegg for my current build and now have 2 of them. Before that I used my trusty PC-70 I got back in the late 90's that I used until 2013. Big Lian-Li fan.

Here you go INWIN 909EK you may or may not hate me for posting it.....

Couple of videos:

Did you see the msrp? Fuck that lol. I'd rather buy a 3970x than a case. Personally I hate these show cases. I upgrade my rig too often to get settled long term in a show case.

Re: the Phanteks 719

I'm currently using a Phanteks 719. The case actually just fell into my lap by error. I was building a Threadripper workstation and that's when I realized the Phanteks had really shite rad thickness support. Thus I could not use the 719. I switched to a leftover TT Core X9. Since the 719 fell into my lap, I swapped my rig over to it from a modded Phanteks Enthoo Primo. The 719 is a lot more "showy" compared to the Primo, but it is a lot newer, better integration of cabling, leds, etc. I only had to grab the dremel for a few minutes. Wipes brow, that was a nice change of pace not having to carve up a case due to the case makers limited imagination.

I usually run EK XE rads like I did on the Primo but the 719 won't take anything over 30mm. If you stick something ticker in you will lose access to the other main rad spot. And the other fan spots ppl sometimes fill those with rads as well but its a mistake or a terrible choice as that eats up valuable intake/exhaust spots. Thus for me the choice was clear, buy some new rads. I chose HWLABs for skinny rads as they make the best skinnies bar none, the Nemesis GTS. I opted for the low profile version of this rad. It has kept pace temp wise with my old Primo which ran dual EK XE 480mm rads. If you are not dead set on a bazillion drives, the 719 is a really nice and serviceable case.

20200117_192430.jpg

Did you see the msrp? Fuck that lol. I'd rather buy a 3970x than a case. Personally I hate these show cases. I upgrade my rig too often to get settled long term in a show case.

That's why I said he might hate me for posting it ;) I agree though, I typically go more function over form, but there's still a draw for me to a case like that. I too get too much of an itch to change things up, so I don't typically stay in one case for very long.

That's why I said he might hate me for posting it ;) I agree though, I typically go more function over form, but there's still a draw for me to a case like that. I too get too much of an itch to change things up, so I don't typically stay in one case for very long.

I stick with a case for the entirety of that particular build. I used to swap shit out over and over, incremental upgrades, etc
Then I realized I was literally pissing money down a hole. That's why so much thought goes into the preparation of a build nowadays. I've been around long enough to have paid "ENOUGH" early adopter taxes
I've also learned the second most valuable lesson, SOMETIMES NEWER ISNT BETTER... Y'know?

thesmokingman Beautiful rig my friend!

I dunno about you guys but I'm upgrading the main parts cpu/gpu end of the year. RDNA2 or 30xxTI and Zen 3 baby! Newer is better in this case.

Found a case I liked, it's actually not a full-tower but a Mid E-ATX Cube. It checked all my boxes and was only $180. anidees AI Crystal Cube V3 [White]

Sincerely, thanks for all the assistance gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back