Advice on optimizing for a twitch shooter

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
*Figured I would ask this question on [H] since I come here the most often.

So I know Ghosts will be like others in the series and not tax the gaming hardware too much. My question is around reducing latency at the computer and devices plugged into it. I don't plan on being "super competitive" but I want to minimize lag as much as possible.

In addition to the RIG in the SIG, I have another box that may be more beneficial in the reducing lag department.
Mobile Gaming Rig: 4770k @ 4.4 / Asus Max Extreme z87 / 16GB C11 DDR 2400 / 256 GB 840 PRO / Asus Xonar DX sound (Video is in the question below)

1) I'll be gaming for Ghosts on an Asus VG248QE @ 144hz. Should I go through the trouble of getting the light boost tech working to reduce input lag further?
2) V-SYNC vs Adaptive V-SYNC vs Uncapped - I was leaning towards Adaptive V-SYNC, but I'm open to correction / suggestions
3) Should I only game with 1 GTX 780 SC ACX video card to avoid any lag / frame skip that is associated with SLI? I normally don't notice this, but I'm trying to get every advantage here. If it can't reach 144hz consistently with 1 card, is putting in a second card to always stay at 144hz worth any trade offs (if any). Both of my systems have PLX switches in them, but I'm not sure if the Haswell system (listed above) turns on with only 1 card attached).
4) Is my Logitech G700 mouse up to the task (note, I will be keeping it plugged into the computer with a USB cable at all times)? Is there a mouse more suited for twitch shooting? I like my G700 and G500 and their feel (which is probably the best, having a mouse you like), but I didn't know if there was some new tech I am missing?
5) I imagine I'm better off with my Haswell system for the twitch shooter vs my Sandy Bridge E. Does that make sense or am I off base here? Better IPC and faster memory speed in my Haswell system vs more cores, higher clock speed, and lower CAS latency RAM in my SB-E?
6) I've read mixed things about the Killer NICs, is it worth it for packet scheduling and lower latency?
---- Along with this, my router and network cards support jumbo frames. I know that is used for more large file transfers, but I didn't know if this would help in a lower latency setting.
7) I have more than one public IP, should I connect my PC directly to the modem to assign the address? I imagine this would cut down a good bit of firewall processing and possibly some lag?

Sorry to unload all these questions. I'm used to gaming mostly on my 30" monitors and running 4-way and 3-way SLI systems just for all the eye candy. I haven't optimized systems for lower latency.

That was very constructive thank you. You took my line by line question and summed it into a response that only would entice anger, more trolling, and/or a general waste of time.

If anyone else wants to seriously help out I would be very gracious.

look out we got a competitive cod player over here!
*raises roof :eek:

no one seriously wants to help you be more competitive in cod. seriously

Don't use any form of vsync. Lightboost if you can. Everything else is going to be mostly irrelevant.

Killer NIC's seem pretty useless. I would make sure to be getting 144 FPS @ 144hz and play with Lightboost to see if it helps you or not. If you can run 144FPS with just 1 card, don't waste time adding the second, but if you keep dropping, put the second in. As for the mouse, you need to figure that out yourself, this is for Counter Strike but you can still use the basics I think. http://counterstrikesourcetactics.blogspot.co.uk/2008/02/css-mouse-optimization-guide.html

My personal tips.

1. Lightboost is cool but input latency is what you should get covered before anything else. Don't do anything to introduce more of it. I'm not sure if Lightboost does but check before you use it. Lightboost is awesome though if you don't have a monitor that washes the fuck out of the screen when its on.

2. Uncapped. Again anything that might introduce input latency = bad in twitch shooters. Adaptive is a nice mix but it might add to input latency like regular V-sync does. You have a nice gaming monitor (I own one myself in fact) and its praised for its low input latency , keep it that way.

3. Plenty of pro gamers use SLi and Crossfire. If you notice lots of frame hitching or skipping or anything that could effect your input then yes , exercise common sense basically.

4. I use a Logitech G9x myself. Love it to death. But the G700 should be fine. I personally do not like wireless mice (battery hassle) and prefer the responsiveness of a wired mouse so if that's something you've considered there is some input on that option.

5. Your Haswell system is fine. Don't worry about that.

6. Killer NIC's are a huge waste of money. If you happen to get one on your mobo out of pure luck then cool but do not waste money on buying one now. The differences have been proven to be pretty much fractional and not enough to effect you really. If they really were great you would see pro gamers recommending them left and right but you don't do you?

7. Unless you have a piss slow router from years ago then it won't make really any difference. Any modern day router should be just fine. The difference at best with a direct modem connection might be 1ms or less with a modern day non-piece of shit router. Your ISP is much more likely to be an issue. If you have ISP problems that you've left unresolved because you didn't want to deal with them (intermittent dropouts with your connection , modem resets or something of the like) then get them dealt with. A stable connection is probably the most important thing outside of a fast PC and low input latency. Since not all of us get the luxury of choice when it comes to ISP's that'll be up to you. If you have a chance to get FTTH (read this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_to_the_x) for a connection over FTTC or FTTC then do it. The more fiber in your last mile connection the greater chance your latency will drop. Again though this is a personal choice as you'll likely have to pay more and possibly deal with some headaches.

Also make sure that with whatever setup you have that you have maximized comfort. You're going to be gaming for long periods of time , make sure you have a nice chair with good back support that sits you upright and make sure to actually stand up and walk around for about 2-5 minutes every 2 hours.

In fact read this article about how standing and taking at the very least micro breaks can extend your life.. a lot : http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-s...aging-your-body-and-how-you-can-counteract-it

It's up to you how you use these micro-breaks. You don't even have to move if you don't want to, but if you want to get a little activity in that minute, here's a quick way to do it without leaving your desk area:

Stand up.
March in place for twenty seconds.
Reach down and try to touch your toes for twenty seconds.
Wander around and pick up or reorganize for the last twenty seconds (eventually your desk area may even be clean).

Also eat well. Don't eat tons of take out and drink gallons of caffine. That whole bullshit sold as "gamer" lifestyle crap will just put you in an early grave. I spent years abusing the shit out of my body and not eating well and it took its toll. When you do something that you are not designed to do for extend periods of time or your life then you pay for it.

That's about all I can say.

Thanks for the above. I guess I should qualify that I jog and eat healthy as it is and lead a good balanced lifestyle (between 3 to 6 miles every day or every other just depending on how much mileage I have for the week). I figured the Nics were next to worthless.

I've got three of those Asus and one of the XL24TX benq monitors. The benq looks horrible when lightboost is on and I know some of that can be adjusted out. I'll see about getting one of the Asus monitors in that mode.

I don't plan on spending an entire day playing games as I have a professional career that keeps me busy but I would like to get into a decent game now and then with a good group of people (the people being more important than the game).

I may plug into the modem directly still even though I have an Asus wireless ac router. Occasionally it likes to reboot itself and while it doesn't happen often, that would suck during a match. My ISP is decent so I get low pings as it is.

Thanks again for the advice.

Kind of funny how the trolling is so blatant but no one cares enough to delete the posts. So typical.

Back