Advice on new video card.

Jerry_03

Weaksauce
Time for christmas upgrading, I'm gonna get a new video card, and i need some advice on what to get. My specs:

Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.66GHz (Will OC it when i get aftermarket cooler)
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB)
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 600W
GPU upgrading from: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260

My budget is about $160-$200ish (can go a little over for shipping). I prefer NVIDIA cards, though if an ATI card has better performance than the competing NVIDIA ill reconsider. I've been eyeing the GeForce GTX 460 or maybe 470. Also can someone tell me whats the difference between the GeForce GTX 460 and GeForce GTX 465?

I game at 1280x1024. The games I play are Source engine mods, Red Orchestra (UT04 engine), GTAIV, Bad Company 2, CoDMW2, Napoleon Total War and Red Orchestra 2 (UT3 engine) when it comes out.

I am also concerned if my PSU, the OCZ GameXStream 600W will be able to handle new card along with my OC of the i5-750 hopefully up to 3GHz as soon as i get my aftermarket cooler. And I am hopping that what ever card I get it won't be bottle necked by my CPU, though it probably wouldnt be after OC.

Last edited:
GTX 465 is a joke. Go either 460 or 470 if you're getting a 4 series

You say you game at 1280x1024. Do you plan on going bigger for the monitor?

Also, I notice you mentioned the games you play - Source, GTA IV, BC2, and Napoleon Total War are all pretty CPU intensive games - have you seen if you're CPU limited? An OC might give a decent amount of performance for those particular games

For $160, the most killer deal right now is this 5850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330&cm_re=5850-_-14-161-330-_-Product

$169.99 with rebate for the weekend, if you're willing to go to ATI, and it's hands down the fastest card at that price - if not outright overkill for your resolution

edit: Not the greatest PSU in the world, but should be able to handle those cards fine, though if you start OC'ing the 470, it'll shoot way up

there is basically need to buy another card until you start playing at a more modern resolution. really how could have a nice pc like that and game at the most horrific res ever conceived? its not that it is super low but the main thing is that is 5:4 which literally means you are missing 1/3 of what widescreen users see. if that happens to be a crt then you should be using 1280x960 instead.

there is basically need to buy another card until you start playing at a more modern resolution. really how could have a nice pc like that and game at the most horrific res ever conceived? its not that it is super low but the main thing is that is 5:4 which literally means you are missing 1/3 of what widescreen users see. if that happens to be a crt then you should be using 1280x960 instead.

Yeah I'd consider putting that $160 towards a new monitor if you can - 1680x1050 at least

i game at that relatively low resolution cause its the highest my 19' monitor can support. yeah i forgot to mention that I will be getting a new monitor hopefully 22', but it'll have to wait til after christmas... so by then ill probably be gaming at 1600 x 1024 resolution.

and ill take a look at the ATI 5850, thanks.

well I would settle on a monitor first as you will likely be looking at it for several years. at worst you might have to stick with the gtx260 until you save a bit more money. a gtx260 is far from a weak card and I even game at 1920x1080 just fine on it. of course I dont max every setting in every game but I do fine.

well I would settle on a monitor first as you will likely be looking at it for several years. at worst you might have to stick with the gtx260 until you save a bit more money. a gtx260 is far from a weak card and I even game at 1920x1080 just fine on it. of course I dont max every setting in every game but I do fine.
+1 GTX260's are awesome, occasionally 4870x2's appear on the market for $135 though....WHICH BLOWS THE SHIT OUT OF ANY CARD'S PRICE/PERFORMANCE lol

you know what...OP you should throw in a second 260 for SLI, it will beat nearly everything out. (as a 260 pair will be a little faster or equal to a 480 )

Back